[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1960

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Mon Mar 4 02:27:13 UTC 2024

March 3, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1960

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

It has been an exciting week in the National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina. On February 22, 2024, members of the NFB of SC Board and the
Legislative and Advocacy Committee descended on the General Assembly for the
Legislative Breakfast. There was a great turnout and a feeling of tremendous
support from legislators and  staffers. I welcomed them to the breakfast and
David Houck spoke about the bill we are supporting this year. Read on for
additional information about this event.

>From David Houck, Co-chair of the Legislative and Advocacy Committee

The February 29, 2024 Legislative Breakfast for the General Assembly was
held in room 112 of the Blatt Building.  The air was chilly outdoors but we
had a warm reception prepared for our guests by Eggs Up Grill. We planned
for 200 attending and our caterer was prepared for 250. Every last plate was
taken. Thanks to Marty McKenzie, Anna Price and Ed and Julie Bible for being
in the receiving line as legislators and staff filed by.   Janice Bright did
a great job getting 170 guests to sign our guestbook and making sure
everyone received our Homestead Exemption brochure. My thanks to all the
volunteers who took time out to meet and greet the legislators while
speaking about H.3127.

This bill would increase the Homestead Exemption from $50,000 to $100,000,
meaning a home owner would not pay property taxes on the first 1000,000 of
their home's value. As you know, the blind, disabled and seniors have much
higher independent living costs. With high prices everywhere and high
interest rates, homeowners are being squeezed in the pocketbook. Tax
reassessments ant millage rate increases can really hurt the budget of those
existing on Social Security and maybe a small pension. Passage of this bill
will provide some relief for Homestead Exemption homeowners including the
blind.

Congratulations to Lenora Robertson who participated in the Braille Readers
Are Leaders Contest Sponsored by the American Action Fund for Blind Children
and Adults. Each participant is entered once for the grand prize for each
category and participants can earn additional entries based on their
participation and performance. Lenora won the grand prize for the adult
division. The Chameleon 20 cell Refreshable Braille Display was donated by
the American Printing House for the Blind. Lenora is our state champion as
well having spent more than 6,000 minutes reading braille during this year's
contest.

The Statewide Leadership Seminar will take place on Saturday, March 23, 2024
at the Federation Center of the Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding
no later than 3:00 p.m. This training is for NFB of SC Board members and
chapter officers. Please let David Houck know no later than Monday, March
18, 2024 how many will attend from your chapter or division. You can reach
him at 803-254-3777 or via e-mail at  <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>
nfbsc at sc.rr.com.

Registration for the National Convention being held on July 3 through 8,
2024 in Orlando, Florida is now open. The registration cost is $25 and
banquet tickets are $75. You can go to
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention to locate additional
information about the National Convention as it becomes available.

>From Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Recreation Division

The NFB of SC Sports and Rec Division is Sponsoring a Saint Patrick's Day
jackpot, where the winner will have a chance at $750.  This drawing will
help to fund a sports camp for the blind of SC and make equitable access to
sports a reality.  Tickets can be purchase for $20 each via PayPal:
<https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc> https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc or
by sending a check to the Federation Center.

Chapters and Divisions have received their $5 Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center raffle tickets. It is important that we sell as many of
these tickets as possible! The buyer of the winning ticket will receive
$500, the seller will receive $50 and the chapter or division selling the
most tickets will receive $300 for its treasury. All Federationist are asked
to put forth a special effort this year on this fundraiser. The drawing will
take place on March 23, 2024 at the Statewide Leadership Seminar. I should
note that the Clarendon County chapter came in second last year and we are
already working on first place this year!

Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship applications are now available at
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-conventio
n-scholarship>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention
-scholarship. These applications are for first-time convention attendees.
There are specific requirements first-timers are expected to meet.
Additionally, you will need a recommendation from your state president.
Please reach out to me to schedule a time for a brief interview before I
write your letters of recommendation.

Applications Are Open

The 2024 online scholarship application is available at
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> https://nfb.org/scholarships. All
applications and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than
March 31, 2024. A list of eligibility requirements, as well as documents
containing answers to frequently asked questions, a submissions checklist,
and other supporting material can also be found on the scholarship webpage.
Throughout the application period, reminders and information about the
scholarship program will appear in the Braille Monitor, on our website, and
will be shared via social media. Please share!

NFB of SC Scholarship Announcement 2024

Let's do more in 24! We are springing into the 2024 NFB of SC Scholarship
Program season. With the state convention being August 15 - 18, 2024, the
deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. June 20, 2024. The
committee will meet about one month before the state convention to select
the top three applicants. They will be notified following the meeting,
giving them one month to make their convention plans. The updated
scholarship application is now available at
<https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program>
https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program.  Please also remember that the
scholarship program operates exclusively on donations. If you, your chapter,
your division, your civic organization, church etc., would like to
contribute a scholarship or donate to the Metro Fund, please contact me,
Shannon Cook at  <mailto:atscholarships at nfbofsc.org>
atscholarships at nfbofsc.org or 803-605-4250). Please help us get the word out
about the program. If you or someone you know is in post-secondary education
full time, please encourage them to apply for a scholarship! Thank you.

Things to Remember

*	Annual Vision Summit on March 22, 2024 at Saluda Shoals Park
*	Statewide Leadership Seminar for Chapter and Division Presidents and
NFB of SC board members on March 23, 2024 in-person only
*	Rocky Bottom Fundraiser Raffle drawing on March 23, 2024 - You do
not have to be present to win
*	National Scholarship Applications due by March 31, 2024
*	Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Applications due by April 15, 2024
*	National Convention room reservations due by May 31, 2024
*	National Convention dates are July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida
*	NFB of SC Scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2024 at 11:59
p.m.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

119 S. Kilbourne Road

Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: 803-254-3777

Mobile: 843-939-8091