[NFBOH-Cleveland] Read the December Braille Monitor!

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:45:37 UTC 2017

Braille Monitor
Vol. 60, No. 11                                      December 2017
Gary Wunder, Editor
Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive, by the
The National Federation of the Blind
Mark Riccobono, President
telephone: (410) 659-9314
email address: nfb at nfb.org
website address: http://www.nfb.org
NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org
NFB-NEWSLINE® information: (866) 504-7300
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind
Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice
Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind
Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and
orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office.
Articles for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to
the national office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.
Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation about forty dollars per
year. Members are invited,
and nonmembers are requested, to cover the subscription cost.
Donations should be
made payable to National Federation of the Blind and sent to:
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998
THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE
OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE
YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL
FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE
BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.
        ISSN 0006-8829

Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick or
USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or
a National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two
slots--the familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable
carrying handle and a second slot located on the right side near the
headphone jack. This smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove
the protective rubber pad covering this slot and insert the thumb
drive. It will insert only in one position. If you encounter
resistance, flip the drive over and try again. (Note: If the cartridge
slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive, the digital player
will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is inserted, the
player buttons will function as usual for reading digital materials.
If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges, when
you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.
You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to
your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because
thumb drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their
return in order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope
enclosed with the drive when you return the device.

 Contents
Vol. 60, No. 11                                     December 2017
Illustration: Technological Team-Up: The Federation
Sponsors Its First HackathonListen Now (MP3)
Convention Bulletin 2018 Listen Now (MP3)
The Wall-to-Wall ThanksgivingListen Now (MP3)
by Barbara Pierce
Merchants’ BLAST Conference Soars
to New HeightsListen Now (MP3)
by Terry Smith
Why Not Hire Yourself?Listen Now (MP3)
by Mike Bullis
The Secret to Winning a
National Federation of the Blind ScholarshipListen Now (MP3)
by Cayte Mendez
Social Security, SSI, and Medicare
Facts for 2018Listen Now (MP3)
by John Paré
The Dr. Jacob Bolotin AwardsListen Now (MP3)
by James Gashel
National Federation of the Blind and Automakers Host
Conference on the Promise of Autonomous
Vehicles and the Disability CommunityListen Now (MP3)
The 2018 Blind Educator of the Year AwardListen Now (MP3)
by Edward Bell
Confrontation at the Capitol:
The Fight to Stop H.R. 620Listen Now (MP3)
by Kyle Walls
The Blind Can Participate in Worship
and Bible StudyListen Now (MP3)
by Susan Povinelli
Running to Catch the Elusive Dream of
Fitness and AccomplishmentListen Now (MP3)
by Jessica Beecham
The Power of the Mind: Research Exploring the
Capacity of the BlindListen Now (MP3)
by Marina Bedny
Preparing His Granddaughter for a
Life Without SightListen Now (MP3)
by Jon Tevlin
Teachers Talk: Working with Parents
Who Happen to be BlindListen Now (MP3)
by Melissa Riccobono
The Story of EleListen Now (MP3)
by Naomi Mills
Make a Difference Listen Now (MP3)
by Patti Chang and Anna Adler
The Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship FundListen Now (MP3)
by Allen Harris
The 2018 Distinguished Educator of Blind
Students AwardListen Now (MP3)
by Carla McQuillan
The Holman Prize Sets Sail: Who Won This Year’s Prize for “Blind Ambition,”
and WhyListen Now (MP3)
by Sheri Wells-Jensen
Supporting Equality for Blind Americans: A New Sheriff
in the United States House of RepresentativesListen Now (MP3)
by Val Demings
Independence Market CornerListen Now (MP3)
by Ellen Ringlein
Meet the Blind Month and White Cane
Awareness Day in CincinnatiListen Now (MP3)
by Annie McEachirn Carson
RecipesListen Now (MP3)
Monitor MiniaturesListen Now (MP3)
         Complete Braille Monitor
         Complete Braille Monitor (Zipped Word Version)
         Complete Braille Monitor Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version)
         Complete DAISY Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version)
Copyright 2017 by the National Federation of the Blind

--
Happy Reading!

Cheryl E. Fields

Secretary

National federation of the Blind of Cleveland

216-566-4317

cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com

nfbohio.org

nfb.org

I am filled with hope, energy, and love by participating in the
National Federation of the Blind because my expectations are raised,
my contributions make a difference to me and to others, and I can
celebrate the realization of my dreams with my Federation family.