[NFBOH-Cleveland] Looking for something different to cook tonight?

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 18:53:03 UTC 2017

Check out this recipe sent by Ronnie Leeth...
blindcooks-bounce at freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mike and Jenna
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:52 PM
To: blindcooks at freelists.org
Subject: [blindcooks] Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
I love shrimp or chicken fried rice but living in the north are one
Chinese place that we do have is expensive and you never know if they
were able to get fresh stuff in. I think I am going to try this one.
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
Fried rice is best made with leftover rice that's at least a day old.
Otherwise it becomes gummy in the skillet.
If you don’t have any leftover rice from the night before, cook a
batch of rice and spread it on a large baking sheet or several large
plates. Let the rice dry out for about 1 to 2 hours before using it
for fried rice.
Rice sticks to the pan very easily, so make sure to use a wok or pan
that doesn’t have a sticky surface. I usually cook stir-fries in my
seasoned carbon steel wok, but cast iron or nonstick pans work well,
too. You might need to add a little more oil if things aren’t
releasing easily.
Ingredients
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3 tablespoons canola oil (or any high heat oil), divided
3 large eggs, whisked
2/3 cup yellow onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2/3 cup frozen peas, rinsed under warm tap water for a few seconds thaw
4 cups cooked jasmine rice (preferably leftover from at least a day
before, see Recipe Note)
2 scallions, sliced (separate the white and light green parts from the
dark green part)
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Special equipment:
Wok, or large skillet
Method
1 Prepare the chicken: Chop the chicken into small 1/4-inch to
1/2-inch cubes. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the chicken and mix
to combine. Set the chicken aside for about 10 minutes (I usually use
this time to chop all the vegetables).
2 Scramble the egg: Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high
heat. Swirl in a tablespoon of oil and add the whisked eggs. Use a
spatula to quickly scramble the eggs, breaking the curds into smaller
pieces as they come together. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
3 Cook the chicken: Add another tablespoon of oil in the wok or pan.
Add the chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off the heat and transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
Using your spatula, scrape off any chicken bits that are still stuck
to the wok so they don't burn during the next step. You can also use
paper towels to wipe down your wok or pan.
4 Cook the vegetables: Swirl 1 tablespoon of oil into the wok over
medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook them for 1 minute,
until they start to soften. Mix in the minced garlic and ginger and
cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the diced carrots and cook
for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the
peas, and stir to incorporate.
5 Cook the rice: Add the rice to the wok or pan on top of the
vegetables and stir to combine. Using the back of your spatula, smash
any large chunks of rice to break them apart. Add the white and green
parts of the sliced scallions (save the dark green parts) and
five-spice powder. Stir to incorporate. If the rice starts to stick to
the pan, stir in a little more oil.
Drizzle the soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice and stir to
incorporate. Stir in the cooked chicken, scrambled eggs, and the dark
parts of the scallions. Stir briefly to bring it together, and cook
for another 1 to 2 minutes. Taste, and add more soy sauce if
necessary.
6 Serve immediately while hot.

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields

Secretary

National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland

216-566-4317

cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com

nfbohio.org

nfb.org