[NFBOH-Cleveland] [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent Service Animal Policy

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:56:34 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent
Service Animal Policy

Major air carrier's policy on trained service animals remains unchanged

Baltimore, Maryland (February 6, 2018): The National Federation of the
Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people,
commends United Airlines for announcing that there will be no changes to its
policies regarding travelers with dog guides and other service animals, as
opposed to animals that may fit other categories.

"Blind people have worked for decades to make sure that dog guides are
trained and managed in a manner that supports the equal treatment of blind
people in public places," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. "Every day, dog guides facilitate smooth and
independent travel by the thousands of blind people who choose to use them,
including my own wife. Unnecessary and burdensome notice and documentation
requirements would have limited the independence of these travelers. We
therefore thank United for continuing to recognize the qualifications of
trained dog guides in its recently announced policy revisions, and we call
on all other air carriers to adopt this same approach. We also urge United
and the rest of the airline industry to engage with us to ensure that all
aspects of the air travel experience, including in-flight entertainment and
the use of mobile applications and websites, are accessible to blind
people."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10201&qid=212929
7> .

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10202&qid=212929
7>

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10203&qid=212929
7>

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10204&qid=212929
7>

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10205&qid=212929
7>

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10206&qid=212929
7>

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=8265&qid=2129297&h=
6ce13ecf9bec2fd9>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=8265&qid=2129297&h=6ce13
ecf9bec2fd9> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10207&qid=212929
7>

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230