[NFBOH-Cleveland] [Nfbnet-members-list] Delta Airlines Revises Service Animal Policy

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:27:47 UTC 2018

Dear All,

                I am sending this message to keep everyone abreast of the
work the National Federation of the Blind and the National Association of
Guide Dog Users is doing to ensure our rights as guide dog users are
protected. On February 2, Anil Lewis and I met with officials from Delta
Airlines at their Atlanta headquarters to discuss their policy. The below
release is the result of this meeting.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG <mailto:President at NAGDU.ORG>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.

Delta service and support animal policy effective March 1, enhancements
added

By Staff Writer . posted Feb. 22, 2018 1:00 pm

http://news.delta.com/delta-service-and-support-animal-policy-effective-marc
h-1-enhancements-added

Updated on Feb. 22, 2018

In January, Delta announced policy changes for those traveling with service
and support animals
<http://news.delta.com/delta-introduces-enhanced-requirements-customers-trav
eling-service-or-support-animals-effective>  to support the airline's top
priority of safety, after an 84 percent increase in reported service and
support animal incidents since 2016. Based on conversations with key
stakeholders in the disability community, the airline is further enhancing
its policy effective March 1.
"We are implementing these changes for the safety of all customers,
employees and trained service and support animals flying Delta, while
supporting the rights of customers with legitimate needs, such as veterans
with disabilities," said John Laughter, Delta's Senior Vice President -
Corporate Safety, Security and Compliance. "While we will require that all
animals not confined to kennels in the cabin have up-to-date vaccinations,
we enhanced our policy to make online submission optional for those
individuals who are blind or have reduced vision or other disabilities and
have trained service animals."
In developing the updated requirements, Delta solicited the feedback and
input of its 15-member
<https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-ne
eds/disabilities/advisory-board-on-disability.html> Advisory Board on
Disability, a group of advocates established more than a decade ago and made
up of Delta frequent flyers with a range of disabilities. Following the
announcement, Delta and its Advisory Board on Disability continued
conversations with a diverse mix of advocacy groups that represent people
who rely on trained service animals, such as the National Federation of the
Blind.
"We are pleased that Delta has responded in a timely way to the concerns we
raised about their policy for guide dogs and other service animals,
including making enhancements," said Mark Riccobono, President of the
National Federation of the Blind. "We also note Delta's expressed commitment
to listening to its passengers. In light of that commitment, we look forward
to sharing our expertise with Delta so that it can provide equal service to
blind passengers in all of its operations."
A closer look at service and support animal policies
Since Delta's announcement, other airlines have implemented changes and
media outlets continue to highlight the lack of regulation and the increased
availability of fraudulent certification.

*	Washington Post
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tripping/wp/2018/01/22/delta-is-tighten
ing-restrictions-on-service-animals-its-about-time/?utm_term=.5b6fdbb66e59>
: "It's been abetted by loopholes in well-meaning legislation.that were
intended to make sure that people who have disabilities and their trained
service animals would be able to get around without hassles. But many pet
owners, not to mention a bunch of online registration companies, have taken
advantage of the law."
*	Chicago Tribune
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-delta-support
-animals-airlines-20180119-story.html> : "This policy (in the U.S.) has
spawned a host of websites offering quick, easy certification. One offers
24-hour service, including a five-minute questionnaire and chat with a
licensed therapist. Says the site, 'Getting an ESA Qualification Has Never
Been Easier'. The dual policy is an invitation to people willing to scam the
system without regard for their cabin mates."

Outside of the aviation industry, a dramatic increase in fraudulent service
animals has led 18 states to introduce laws
<https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-assistance-animal-laws>  that
make it a crime to fraudulently represent a service animal.
Delta's updated policy effective March 1
Any customer traveling with a service or support animal on or after March 1
will need to meet the new requirements as outlined below:
Traveling with a trained service animal

*	In some cases, customers with a trained service animal may be asked
to show the animal's Veterinary Health Form and/or an immunization record or
other proof that the animal's vaccinations are up to date. Customers are
encouraged, but not required, to submit this form to Delta's Service Animal
Support Desk via Delta.com before traveling.
*	These customers can check-in via Delta.com, the Fly Delta mobile
app, airport kiosks or with an airport agent.

Traveling with an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal

*	Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or psychiatric
service animal will be required to submit a signed Veterinary Health Form
and/or an immunization record (current within one year of the travel date),
an Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animal Request form that requires a
letter prepared and signed by a doctor or licensed mental health
professional, and a signed Confirmation of Animal Training form. These forms
are required and must be submitted to Delta's Service Animal Support Desk
via Delta.com at least 48 hours before travel.
*	These customers must use the full-service check-in process with an
airport agent.

Delta established the Service Animal Support Desk to improve the travel
experience for customers traveling with service and support animals. This
desk will verify that the above documentation is received and confirm the
customer's reservation to travel with an emotional support or psychiatric
service animal before arrival at the airport. If a form is not completed, a
representative will communicate with the customer via e-mail to request the
missing or incomplete items.
Delta carries more than 250,000 service and support animals annually, an
increase of nearly 150 percent since 2015. The airline does not accept
exotic or unusual service or support animals. Additional information on
types of accepted animals and other questions related to traveling with
service and suppo