[NFBOH-Cleveland] 2018 Washington Seminar: Please become familiar with the legislative agenda. We may be called upon to make phone calls soon!

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 23:09:31 UTC 2018

NFB Washington Seminar
Holiday Inn Capitol
550 C Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
202-479-4000
DATES
Monday, January 29, through Thursday, February 1, 2018
Great Gathering-In--Monday, January 29, 2018
Congressional Appointments--January 30 through February 1, 2018
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE
Over five hundred people from the fifty states, the District of
Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Most of those attending will be blind.
MEETINGS
The Great Gathering-In will begin Monday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. at the
Holiday Inn Capitol (Capitol Ballroom) and will adjourn promptly at
7:00 p.m. The Great Gathering-In serves as our very exciting opening
session to Washington Seminar. The energy in the room is like no
other. Over 500 members of the NFB come together to learn about and
advocate for legislative initiatives that will improve the lives of
blind Americans. Please join us to cast off the perception of
incapacity that is too often reinforced by bad public policies that
serve to relegate blind Americans to second class citizenship.
Legislative appointments should be made for Tuesday, Wednesday, and
Thursday in the Senate and House office buildings. A meeting for NFB
members to review the legislative progress and provide guidance will
occur on Wednesday evening.
PROGRAM
The Washington Seminar is an annual event of the National Federation
of the Blind to introduce the agenda of blind Americans--the priority
issues requiring congressional attention over the coming year. The
issues are selected from official positions of the Federation and may
address concerns in the following areas: relevant civil rights issues;
educational programs and services; rehabilitation of the blind for
competitive employment; the operation of vending facilities by blind
persons on public property; specialized library services for the
blind; the organization and funding of federal programs; Social
Security and Supplemental Income programs; and other timely topics.
Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen for priority
attention during the Washington Seminar.
AGENDA
(PDF)
 LEGISLATIVE AGENDA AND FACT SHEETS
• Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans - Priorities for the 115th
Congress, Second Session (PDF) (Audio)
• The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education(Aim High)
Act (PDF) (Audio)
• The Access Technology Affordability Act (PDF) (Audio)
• Opposition to the “ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017” (H.R. 620)
(PDF) (Audio)
• The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for
Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
(PDF) (Audio)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR NFB MEMBERS
2018 FAQs Coming Soon!
HIGHLIGHTS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS
Washington Seminar 2017 - Braille Monitor, March 2017
Washington Seminar 2016 - Braille Monitor, March 2016
Washington Seminar 2015 - Braille Monitor, March 2015
Washington Seminar 2014 - Braille Monitor, March 2014
Washington Seminar 2013 - Braille Monitor, March 2013
Washington Seminar 2012 - Braille Monitor, March 2012
Washington Seminar 2011 - Braille Monitor, March 2011
Washington Seminar 2010 - Braille Monitor, March 2010
Washington Seminar 2009 - Braille Monitor, April 2009
Washington Seminar 2008 - Braille Monitor, March 2008
Washington Seminar 2007 - Braille Monitor, March 2007
Washington Seminar 2006 - Braille Monitor, March 2006

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields

Secretary
  National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland

216-566-4317

cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com

nfbohio.org

nfb.org

I am filled with hope, energy, and love by participating in the
National Federation of the Blind because my expectations are raised,
my contributions make a difference to me and to others, and I can
celebrate the realization of my dreams with my Federation family.