[NFBOH-Cleveland] A Special Guest AT Our Cleveland Chapter Meeting

Owen McCafferty ojmccaf1963 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 01:37:48 UTC 2018

Anytime to talk about our experiences from the  National Convention?
Owen

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 9:34 PM, Suzanne Turner via NFBOH-Cleveland <nfboh-cleveland at nfbnet.org> wrote:

<!--#yiv9132230286 _filtered #yiv9132230286 {font-family:"Cambria Math";panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv9132230286 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv9132230286 #yiv9132230286 p.yiv9132230286MsoNormal, #yiv9132230286 li.yiv9132230286MsoNormal, #yiv9132230286 div.yiv9132230286MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv9132230286 a:link, #yiv9132230286 span.yiv9132230286MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv9132230286 a:visited, #yiv9132230286 span.yiv9132230286MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv9132230286 span.yiv9132230286EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv9132230286 .yiv9132230286MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered #yiv9132230286 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv9132230286 div.yiv9132230286WordSection1 {}-->
Cleveland,

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at our Chapter meeting,  Ohio Senator, Michael Skindell from the 23rd district, will join us. We will discuss information that the NFB of Ohio Legislature Committee addressed in a letter opposing bill HB271. I am so pleased to have the Senator join our meeting. He has been gracious enough to take time out of his busy schedule to spend time to communicate with Cleveland. Let’s show him our appreciation. We want to bring forth awareness and provide our thoughts in a positive manner. So, please be on time for this important meeting. We will have refreshments and talk about this  bill.

If you have questions, let me know.

/////

June 4, 2018

Dear Chairman Bacon, Vice Chairman Dolan, Ranking Member Thomas and members of the Senate Judiciary Committee,

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, the leading membership organization of blind Ohioans, opposes H.B.  271 Short Title: Give notice before action for access; allow attorney's fees as passed by the House. In fact, we unalterably oppose  any legislation that will weaken the already fragile rights of people with disabilities.  We believe that this bill will radically undermine the rights of people with disabilities while not effectively protecting businesses from frivolous litigation. The current evidence regarding the problems this bill seeks to address is, at best, sparse and anecdotal and does not justify such a radical change to state law.

The Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law on July 26, 1990. Twenty-eight years later all business owners should be aware of their obligations under the law. Although this is certainly not always the case, experience demonstrates that those  with disabilities covered under the ADA do not file  frivolous litigation. Out of ignorance or inexperience people who do not understand disability or the law addressing it  sometimes interpret an initial filing as frivolous. This is how the myth has grown up that disabled people are likely to file frivolous lawsuits. Rather than placing additional burdens on people with disabilities, why not punish those who bring frivolous law suits to the courts?

A civil rights law such as the ADA is effective only in so far as it is understood by the general public. To that end the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio stands ready to educate business owners about accessibility.  Ohio has a network of Independent Living Centers that often (if resources permit) can provide technical assistance and guidance on accessibility to businesses. The Great Lakes ADA Center also provides webinars and toolkits for businesses interested in coming into compliance with accessibility requirements of the law.

Rather than eliminate the stick of enforcement, we would hope that the Legislature would look at how to provide some carrots of encouragement and other supports to help businesses to come into compliance, without undermining the legal rights of individuals with disabilities. Our struggle for equal access has been long and hard. Please don’t push us back into inequality.

Many organizations representing people with disabilities have chosen to remain neutral because they see this legislation as permissive rather than prescriptive.  Also many organizations are neutral because this legislation applies only to civil litigation filed in state court and does not affect one’s ability to file in Federal court.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio believes that the Ohio Legislature and the general public are taking a dangerous ride down a slippery slope if we start to weaken individual protections. We urge you to work with us to improve public education about accessibility and to provide stronger penalties against attorneys who file frivolous acts.

Sincerely,

Richard Payne,  President

937-396-5573 or 937-829-3368

Rchpay7 at gmail.com

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NFBOH-Cleveland:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfboh-cleveland_nfbnet.org/ojmccaf1963%40yahoo.com