[NFBOH-Cleveland] [Nfbnet-members-list] Delta Airlines Service animal Policy Evolves

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 02:51:28 UTC 2018

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of NAGDU President via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:47 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Delta Airlines Service animal Policy Evolves

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

Dear Members & Supporters,

                On January 19, 2018, Delta Airlines circulated a news
release announcing their new policy concerning the carriage of emotional
support and psychiatric service animals, as well as trained service animals,
in the aircraft cabin. This new policy, scheduled to take effect on March 1,
2018, was in response to a growing safety concern over emotional support and
psychiatric service animals (ESAs) and negatively impacted those of us who
use guide and other trained service dogs. This policy required those
intending to travel with their trained guide or other service animals to
notify the company at least 48 hours in advance of their travel, submit
documentation of the dog's immunization record, and required those
accompanied by service animals to check in at the customer service counter
rather than curbside, online, or through a self-service kiosk. The National
Federation of the Blind and its special interest division, the National
Association of Guide Dog Users, expressed our concern over this policy,
believing it was incongruent with the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). We
requested a face-to-face meeting with Delta Airlines and met with them on
February 2 at their headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.

                During this meeting, Anil Lewis, Executive Director of the
Jernigan Institute, and I began a productive dialogue with upper level
management of Delta, including the chair of their advisory board on
disability. As a result of this meeting and through scores of email
messages, Delta Airlines and the National Federation of the Blind circulated
a joint news release announcing an enhanced service animal policy that
seemed congruent with the ACAA. However, Delta's website concerning this
policy did not seem to reflect our mutual understanding contained in the
press release. We continued our dialogue with Delta to create an official
policy statement that more closely aligns with our interpretation of the
ACAA while ensuring the safety of all of Delta's passengers.

                I am pleased to announce that the National Federation of the
Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog Users have worked
collaboratively with Delta Airlines to create a policy that protects the
civil rights of the blind and other disabled individuals who use guide or
service animals while ensuring the safety of all Delta passengers. This
current policy states,

If you are traveling with a trained service animal, in some cases you may be
asked to show:
1.      The animal's Veterinary Health Form and/or an immunization record or
other proof that the animal's vaccinations are current within one year of
the travel date
2.      While not required, customers are encouraged to upload this
documentation to  <https://www.delta.com/mytrips/> My Trips through the
Accessibility Service Request Form

You can view the source file by following the link below

Delta's Service Animal Policy

                Delta assures us valid tags issued by your local animal
services department will suffice as "other proof that the animal's
vaccinations are current". The National Federation of the Blind and the
National Association of Guide Dog Users will be hosting officials from Delta
Airlines at our Jernigan Institute in the near future to discuss the
specific procedures to implement this policy. As these procedures are
created, we will circulate them widely so that all Delta Patrons who use
service animals will understand their rights and responsibilities under this
policy. We are also aware that other airlines are watching this policy
evolve and we are working proactively with other airlines to help them
create and implement sound effective policies. We will keep our membership
and the flying public abreast of our advocacy efforts on this issue.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG <mailto:President at NAGDU.ORG>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.