[NFBOH-Cleveland] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] Join Us for the NAGDU Seminar & Annual Meeting

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:38:20 UTC 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: president--- via NFBNet-Members-List <nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 21:56:51 -0500
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Join Us for the NAGDU Seminar & Annual Meeting
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

May 10, 2018

                 The National Association of
Guide Dog Users, a strong & proud division of the
National Federation of the Blind, is excited to
offer the most dynamic, informative events in the
nation for guide dog users at our national
convention in Orlando. Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors

Accessible360
On the Go by Julie Johnson
RuffWear
Texas Association of Guide Dog Users
Veterinarian Emergency Clinics of Central Florida

NAGDU is offering some incredible programs for our members!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018
1:00 ­ 10:00 p.m.
1:00 - 1:45 p.m. Registration. Registration is
free & required to be eligible for door prizes!
2:00 ­ 3:30 p.m. Is My Dog in Crisis?
Lori Tilley, D.V.M.
Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida

                 A board certified emergency
veterinarian will share how to assess if your
dog’s health issue is an emergency needing
immediate attention. She will also give us tips
on how to avoid a trip to the emergency clinic,
as well as maintaining wellness, preventive care, grooming tips, and first aid.

3:45 ­ 5:00 p.m. Advocacy and Access: Everyone has a Part to Play
Calling Out Counterfeit Service Animals: The myth, the image, and the law
Facilitator: Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users

                 With the growing challenge of
untrained dogs in public and the problems they
create for legitimate guide & service dogs, we
must be the voice of reason. Join us as we
mobilize our division to solve the problem! This
interactive program is a must for all guide dog
users, those wishing to become better advocates
for guide dog users and other disabled
individuals, and public and private entities wanting to know their rights.

5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Dinner break

6:00 ­ 6:45 p.m. Registration – Registration is
free & required to be eligible for door prizes!
7:00 ­ 10:00 p.m. Living the Guide Dog User Life you want!
Part 1: Is It Time? The struggle of letting go.

Facilitator: Merry C. Schoch, LCSW

The retirement or passing of our guide dogs is a
very challenging time and one we will all
eventually experience. A Licensed Clinical Social
Worker and guide dog user helps us through the process of retirement and loss

Part 2: Harness Up: The process of getting a guide dog and beyond

Various guide dog training programs & consumers

If you are interested in getting a guide dog,
want to find out how they really work, get to
know what is involved in the application and
training process, and learn about the guide Dog
User Lifestyle, this session is for you! Guide
dog training programs will share information
about their programs and guide dog users will
help you understand what is required when you come home.

Part 3: Guide Dog Show and Tail

                 Guide dog users share their
favorite gear, grooming tools, and toys. If you
have a favorite item to share, bring it with you
for others to learn about! Some of them will be
yours to take home for you and your dog to enjoy!
Thursday, July 5, 2018; 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Annual Meeting

6:00 – 6:45 p.m. – Registration. (Registration is
free & required to be eligible for door prizes.)
Membership dues of $5.00 are required for those
who are not members of an affiliate division to
be eligible to speak on the floor, make & vote on motions, and hold office.

7:00 p.m. Call to Order

Join NAGDU for the most exciting and important
meeting of guide dog users in the United States.
Here are some of the highlights you will experience

Supporting the NFB’s national ridesharing testing initiative
Valerie Yingling

Learn about our advocacy with Delta Airlines
                 Christine Bouchard, Delta Airlines

Learn how to comment on new regulations for the Air Carrier
Access Act
                 John Pare
Executive Director for Advocacy & Policy

Download & tour the newest version of the NAGDU Mobile App for iOS & Android
Raul Gallegos

Elect our 2018 – 2020 leadership

Energizing reports from our affiliate divisions

                 As you see, the NAGDU events are
filled with substance – the place to be if you
are an active guide dog user and advocate. Plan
to join us and enhance your knowledge and
understanding. The NAGDU seminar and Annual
Meeting are held in conjunction with the
convention of the National Federation of the
blind. This year’s convention will be held at

Rosen Shingle Creek Resort
9939 Universal Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32819-9357

For more information about the National
Federation of the Blind convention, such as
registration information, room reservations, or
other convention information, please
<Announcement%20about%20Seminar%20and%20Annual%20Meeting%20(2018).htm>click
here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate
to get in touch with us by email to
<mailto:info at nagdu.org>info at nagdu.org. To learn
more about the National Association of Guide Dog
Users, please
<Announcement%20about%20Seminar%20and%20Annual%20Meeting%20(2018).htm>click
here.

We will see you in Orlando!

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
<http://nagdu.org/>Visit our website
<http://twitter.com/nagdu>Follow us on Twitter
The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise
expectations because low expectations create
barriers between blind  people and our dreams.
You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human
life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will
never sit.
--D. Elton Trueblood