[NFBOH-Cleveland] Fwd: [Ohio-talk] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 13:44:53 UTC 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Richard Payne via Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
Date: Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:36 AM
Subject: [Ohio-talk] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
CC: Richard Payne <rchpay7 at gmail.com>

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update

November 9, 2018

One week ago, we were in Strongsville for the Team Convention. It was an
energy filled convention, and I know it has helped us become a stronger
organization. There are so many people to thank for their hard work and
dedication that I can't possibly call each of them by name. You know who you
are, and you know that I appreciate you and all that you do. The hard work
starts now, we must follow up with the new members and find ways to educate
them even more about the federation.

We had a couple of changes on the Board of Directors. Eric Duffy was elected
as Secretary, and Suzanne Turner was elected to an At-Large board position.
I want to congratulate Eric and Suzanne, and I also want to thank Shelbi
Hindel for her service as Secretary and Macy Mcclain for her service on the
Board.
Our work has not slowed down since returning home. We are preparing our
response to the OOD Request for Proposals, because we want to conduct
another Braille Literacy program for blind Ohioans next year. We plan to
have another BELL program in 2019 and we will soon be working on that. You
will hear more about both programs in the weeks to come.

We passed six resolutions at this convention and we are working on sending
them to the appropriate officials. These resolutions will be in the next
Buckeye Bulletin which Barbara Pierce is working on now.

It is important that we have all chapter and division election results. We
should know who the officers and board members are after an election occurs.
Please send them to me and get them to Barbara Pierce so that they can be
included in the Buckeye Briefs section of the newsletter.

The application for the national scholarship program is now available
online. We have the best scholarship program for blind students in the
country. Find ways to spread the word. This is a great tool to help you
build your chapter.

If you wish to attend the Washington Seminar in 2019 you must let me know by
December 1. This requires a lot of fast paced walking. You should think
about your ability to do that before submitting your name. You should also
consider what you can do to help with the cost of your participation. Can
you make a personal contribution? Is your chapter prepared to provide
support?

Lou Ann Blake sends us the following announcement from the Jernigan
Institute:

Dear Fellow Federations,

The NFB blind and low-vision voter experience survey for the 2018 midterm
elections is back online! To complete the survey, please go to
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7KZSHGS . The survey will be open through
November 30, so please be sure to complete it as soon as possible.

The results of this survey will be provided to state election officials,
state protection and advocacy agencies, and voting rights advocates to help
improve the accessibility of future elections. Funding for the survey was
provided through a Help America Vote Act (HAVA) grant from the
Administration for Community Living, United States Department of Health and
Human Services. Questions about the survey or accessible voting should be
directed to Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org <mailto:lblake at nfb.org>
<mailto:lblake at nfb.org> or 410-659-9314, extension 2221; or Gabe Cazares at
gcazares at nfb.org <mailto:gcazares at nfb.org> <mailto:gcazares at nfb.org> or
410-659-9314, extension 2206. Thank you for your participation!

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.

I will soon be considering committee appointments. Think about the committee
(one or more) that you would like to serve on. If you would like to chair a
committee let me know why you believe you should do so. I will put the
committee description list on Ohio-talk very soon.

 the Buckeye Update will be one of the ways that I will communicate with
you. I also will be doing recordings from time to time. The newsletter is
also a great communications tool, so please get articles and chapter and
division news to Barbara Pierce as soon as possible. I will talk to you
again soon.

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com