[NFBOH-Cleveland] Fwd: [theblindperspective] January 2019 Newsletter

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 18:30:35 UTC 2019

Another Great Issue! Enjoy!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Blind Perspective <theblindperspective at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 16:30:04 -0800
Subject: [theblindperspective] January 2019 Newsletter
To: theblindperspective at groups.io

Welcome to The Blind Perspective

January 2019

Volume 5; Issue 1
Table of Contents
Greetings from the Editor
Sponsor of the Month
Movers & Shakers
International Perspective
Exercise, does a body good
Have I Got A Story For You
The Braille Highway
The Guide Dog Journey
Spencer's Spotlight
APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice
A Time to Plant
The Alternating Duo: Here's to your Health
Dirty Work
Cooking Concoctions
Riddle & Brain Buster

Navigation
The Blind Perspective Newsletter has been produced in such a manner
that makes it easier to stroll through the articles. If you are using
JAWS, System Access, NVDA, or Window Eyes, press the letter H to move
through the headings. If you are wanting to skip back simply press the
shift key + the letter H. For MAC users, press Control Option Command
plus the letter H and to go backwards through the articles press
Control Option Command shift plus the letter H. If one of the links do
not work for you just copy and paste it in to your browser and it
should work.

If you have any trouble reading this copy you can go to Click Here it
will take You to the read the current newsletter

Greetings from the Editor
By Karen Santiago

I would first like to wish all of our readers a very happy, healthy,
and prosperous new year. Secondly, welcome all to our first edition of
2019, and our fifth year of publishing the Blind perspective. I hope
you continue to be informed and entertained by the various articles
throughout 2019!

With the change of the year, also comes some changes to the Blind
Perspective. We say so long and thank you to the three writers who
wrote for the Rotating Trio; Suzy B, Russ Davis, and BlowHard.
However, don't be surprise if they show up in a future issue with an
article.
Lindy, author of kaleidoscope of Krafts will be submitting her
articles for the even months of publication.
We welcome Tammy Lynn this month with her debut article under the
segment, The guide dog Journey, which she will be doing every other
month.
Also new this month is the segment, Dirty Work by Manny Morales. He
worked as a high school janitor for 20 years before losing his vision.
He will give us helpful ideas, solutions, and procedures for cleaning.
Another new segment coming next month is the Beauty Parlor, by Christy
Ray. If her name sounds familiar, it's because she sponsored the Blind
Perspective a few months ago. Christy is a MaryKay Independent Beauty
Consultant. As a visually impaired person, Christy will help you with
tips and techniques related to cosmetics and skin care. Be sure to
check out her debut article next month!

Remember you can also choose to listen to our audio version of the
newsletter, link below:
The Blind Perspective Audio

At A Glance: Out of Sight, Annie, Facts & Stats, Pilates, Polar
Opposites, basics, Decision, Speaker, Recording, Growing, Teach &
Learn, Mirror Mirror, New England Clam Chowder, Riddle & Brain Buster!

Sponsor of the Month
You are Invited!
To our Eleventh Annual Birthday Bash for Out-Of-Sight.net!
Grab your party hat, your bells, whistles, and horns, and dress up in
your finest party duds! We will be celebrating our eleventh birthday
in style on Saturday, January 26, 2019! There will be several hours of
your favorite games and giveaways, of course, but that is not all!
This is not going to be just any party! We have some really cool
speakers lined up for you this year, so mark your calendars for this
very special day!

Our honored guests at this year's celebration will be:
Hans Wiberg, Be My Eyes
Every day, sighted volunteers lend their eyes to solve tasks big and
small to help blind and low-vision people lead more independent lives.
This is done through the use of an innovative smart phone app which
connects a blind person to a sighted volunteer. It grew out of an idea
from Hans Wiberg who relied on family to help him out through the use
of Facetime. Yet, what if they were not available, or, what if other
blind persons needed similar assistance. So, from there, he took an
idea to develop an app for all the blind, and it grew into a global
power house in which the volunteers number about 1.8 million. We will
chat with Hans on how it all came together, and how someone without
any programming experience created an indispensable tool for the
blind.

Steve Sparkes and Mick Dawson, Ocean Rowers
Former Royal Marine Steve Sparkes was the first blind person to row
across the Pacific, arriving in Hawaii 82 days after setting off from
California with fellow former Royal and Falklands War Veteran Mick
Dawson, with the pair using the challenge as a way to raise funds for
Blind Veterans UK and The Royal Marines Charity.
Steve rowed himself into the record books when he arrived in Honolulu.
The pair set off from Monterey on June 6th as part of the Great
Pacific Race, dubbed the "World's Ultimate Endurance Challenge". While
the direct route is 2,400 miles, weather conditions and changing
currents extended the trip to closer to 3,000 miles.
They faced incredibly rough seas and wet and cold weather, causing
them to break two sets of oars in rough conditions. At one point
during the mammoth journey, Sparky was swept overboard and was only
saved due to the fact that he was tethered to the vessel at all times.

Pete Gustin, Voice Announcer
>From movie trailers and Super Bowl ads, to Network TV Promos and some
of the most recognizable radio brands in the country, Pete Gustin is
the voice of the Fox News Channel, and much more! Known for his
massive vocal range, Pete performs in every genre, every medium, and
every realm of the world of voice overs and brings a premium sound to
all his projects. Now, as we chat with Pete, we will get behind the
voice, and learn more about him and his exciting career!

Amar Latif, Traveleyes
Traveleyes is a special travel service that provides a safe,
comfortable and fun way for any blind or sighted person to travel
solo. Travel groups are normally between 14 and 20 people, and around
half of the group are blind and half are fully sighted. An emphasis is
placed on sensory experiences, including lots of tastings and sensory
excursions, such as vineyards, street markets and gardens. After
dinner, individuals can choose whether to socialize, or just relax
with a bit of personal time. Each day, a sighted traveler is paired
with a different blind traveler. Blind travelers will tell their
sighted friends how much they can see, and how they like to be guided.
Then it's off to explore!

Dan Parker, Drag Racer
Get behind the wheel, buckle up, push down that gas pedal, and hear
those tires squeal, as you thunder down the track! It's the need for
speed, and oh, what an adrenalin rush you get as you race to top
speed.
Dan Parker was a drag racer from age 18 to 42, until an accident in
2012 left him blind, when he hit the wall at a speed of 175 miles per
hour. He is an automobile builder, accomplished racer, and he did not
allow the accident to squash his love of the sport. He became the
first blind man to race at the Bonneville Salt Flats. He raced a bike
that he designed and built, and his Blind Ambition drives him and
motivates others. He is pulling into the Out-Of-Sight pit stop to give
us a chance to learn more about him, and how he uses his skills to
build, design, fix, operate, and race!

Sign Up to Attend the Party!
If you would like to become a member of Out-Of-Sight and participate
in the birthday celebration, send us an email, and include the
following:
1. First and last name.
2. . Email address.
3. Preferred nickname, if any.
4. Phone number.
5. How you heard about us.
6. Country of residence.

Send this info to OOSNHQ at gmail.com

We hope you are just as excited and intrigued about all of the
information our special guests will share with us! Come and join the
party, and we look forward to meeting you!
Happy Eleventh Birthday, Out-Of-Sight!

Movers & Shakers
By Karen Santiago
Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com

Welcome to 2019! To begin this New Year, I conducted a Q&A with
Avinash Kothuri, the head of sales for Thinkerbell Labs. Please read
below to learn about Thinkerbell Labs and the device they have
created.

What is Thinkerbell Labs?
Thinkerbell Labs is an ed-tech startup based out of Bangalore, India,
and London, UK working towards Inclusive education. We are trying to
solve the problem of low braille literacy rates among the visually
impaired. Our brainchild, Annie, is the world's first braille literacy
device for the visually impaired. Annie can help a person with vision
loss in learning to read, write and type in Braille, on their own.

How and why was Annie created?
One of our four co-founders studied at a school close to a school for
the blind where he would often volunteer through his schooling years.
He was moved by the massive difference in learning pedagogy in his
school and the school for the blind. Thinkerbell Labs was established
to make a significant social impact by building a new braille learning
ecosystem for the visually impaired.
Thinkerbell Labs started as a college side project dubbed as Project
Mudra. We used a Raspberry Pi to build an alphabet song teacher for
the visually impaired as the first prototype of a larger mission that
we had envisioned. The audio guided alphabet song teacher had a
refreshable braille display (RBD) tactile interface for the kids to
learn letters in braille. When the project was taken for field trials
to a blind school in Goa, we were amazed to see the enthusiasm with
which the students engaged with it. After a series of iterations and
field trials, we developed Annie, the world's first braille literacy
device for the visually impaired.
Annie's first prototype was developed and tested in September 2014. We
completed Annie's hardware development for India, UK, and the US in
February 2018. Annie was launched at the VIEW conference in
Birmingham, UK, in March 2018.
The major highlight for us in the year 2018 was our first deployment -
India's first braille smart class in Ranchi, Jharkhand. This project
was launched in partnership with the Government of Jharkhand.

Why is it called Annie?
Annie is named after Anne Sullivan; Helen Keller's instructor and
lifelong companion.

Exactly what does Annie do?
Annie is the world's first braille literacy device that helps a
visually impaired person learn to read, write, and type in Braille, on
their own. Annie guides users through audio-tactile lessons and helps
them complete courses covering grade 1 and grade 2 Braille. The
coursework is interactive and gamified to keep the student engaged
through their lessons and making learning fun. Annie's lessons also
provide instant feedback addressing the pain-point of delayed feedback
cycles encountered when traditional braille teaching methods are used.
The connected nature of the device ensures that multiple students can
compete against each other in Braille games and challenges, making it
a collaborative, community-driven experience. Annie is accompanied by
a companion app to schedule tests and homework, experience new content
and download it on the device. The teachers/parents also have a
dashboard that lets them track the performance and usage of the
student.

How can one purchase Annie?
To buy an Annie, email me at Sales at ThinkerbellLabs.com
You could also contact us at +91 956-190-5809 or +44 20 81237766.

Is it just for kids?
We are currently targeting students from grades 1 through 5. This is
the age group where a child learns Braille most effectively. However,
Annie can be used by any age group to learn braille. As the product
and the content ecosystems evolve, it would enable users of all ages
to pick up Braille related skills that aid in higher education and
employment.

What is the feedback you are receiving from this device?
Annie has been developed through a cycle of consultations and feedback
received from industry experts over the last few years. A few
institutions we have worked with include Royal National Institute of
Blind People and New College Worcester in the UK, and LV Prasad Eye
Institute, National Association for the Blind, National Institute for
the Visually handicapped and SRMAB in India. The positive feedback
received from these institutions has been very encouraging to us.
We successfully launched India's first Braille smart class at a
Government school for the Blind in Ranchi, Jharkhand, in association
with the state government there. 20 Annie devices were set up to teach
braille to 24 visually impaired students in the school aged between
6-18 years. All 24 students had an overwhelming response to Annie
right after their first use. Their inquisitive minds have been kept
engaged through the interactive gamified content resulting in learning
braille at a faster pace. Teachers have been able to supervise
multiple students at the same time and track their progress. Annie was
received with great enthusiasm by the teachers as they could now
monitor 24 students at the same time.
As of today, Annie has been used for over 550 hours by them, with the
average session time being 35 minutes. Students have logged over 1200+
sessions on Annie so far, with the longest session lasting for more
than 3 hours.

Do you have any plans to upgrade/ alter the device, or create something new?
Our goal is to make Annie a one-stop solution for Braille literacy and
digital skill development among the visually impaired. We are working
towards creating interactive content for all age groups, right from
Grade 1 braille to learning requirements for higher grade students. We
are also in the process of creating versatile content that could be
accessed on other refreshable braille readers. We are working on
progressing from early education to employability.

What is your contact information?
Our Website: ThinkerbellLabs.com

Email: ContactUs at ThinkerbellLabs.com , sales at thinkerbelllabs.com

Phone: +91 956-190-5809 or +91 953-890-4328.
Facebook: Thinkerbell Labs.
Twitter: @thinkerbelllabs.
Instagram: thinkerbell_labs.

International Perspective
By Karen Santiago
Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com

Happy New Year readers!
Unfortunately, I do not have an interview article for the
International Perspective segment this month. I am always looking for
people to interview about life in their country as a blind person. If
interested please contact me at my email address above. We can do this
one of two ways; you can write the article on your own, or I can
interview you and write it up for you. Some countries I have not yet
covered include Italy, Poland, Iceland, Lithuania, Bahamas, Saudi
Arabia, just to name a few.

Until I have interviews with people from other countries, I will write
up some interesting facts/ statistics about blindness in other
countries.
Country: India
Blindness population: 12 million
Global blindness population: 39 million
National Program for Control of Blindness (NPCB) blindness definition:
Vision of 6/60 or less and a visual field loss of 20 degrees or less
in the better eye, after spectacle correction.
A person unable to count fingers from a distance of six meters (19.7
feet) is categorized as "blind" in India.
World Health Organization (WHO) blindness definition: Visual sharpness
of less than 3/60, or a corresponding visual field loss to less than
10 degrees in the better eye, even with the best possible spectacle
correction.
A person unable to count fingers from a distance of 3 meters (9.8
feet) is categorized as "blind" according to WHO.

Under Vision 2020, India has to reduce the prevalence of blindness to
0.3% of the total population. India's NPCB is adopting the WHO's
blindness criteria, therefore, India can achieve the Vision 2020 goal.
They estimate with the change in the blindness definition, 4 million
people will no longer be classified as blind.

Statistics based on 2017 World Health Organization estimates
About 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide
39 million are blind
246 million have low vision (severe or moderate visual impairment)
About 90 per cent of the world's visually impaired people live in
developing countries
Globally, uncorrected refractive errors are the main cause of visual impairment
65 per cent of visually impaired, and 82 per cent of blind people are
over 50 years of age, although this age group comprises only 20 per
cent of the world population
Top causes of visual impairment: refractive errors, cataracts and glaucoma
Top causes of blindness: cataracts, glaucoma and age-related macular
degeneration
While there is still a long way to go when it comes to eye health, the
number of people visually impaired from infectious diseases, however,
has greatly reduced in the last 20 years.

Exercise, does a body good
By Dan Kiely
Dan at TheBlindPerspective.com

Welcome to January's issue of Exercise Does A Body Good! I hope
everyone's holiday was a good one, and now time to get back to working
out. In this issue I discuss Pilates, and include five exercises.

What is Pilates?
Pilates is a form of exercise that emphasizes the balanced development
of the body through core strength, Flexibility, and awareness to
support efficient, graceful movements.

The health benefits of Pilates include improved flexibility, increased
muscle strength and tone, particularly of your abdominal muscles,
lower back, hips and buttocks.

Who created Pilates?
Pilates was created in the twenties by the physical trainer Joseph
Pilates, for the purpose of rehabilitation. Some of the first people
treated by Pilates were soldiers returning from war and dancers.
Joseph Pilates was born in 1883 in Germany, and migrated to America in
the twenties. He and his wife opened up an exercise studio in New York
City.

I believe Pilates is a great form of exercise to do at home. You do
not need a lot of equipment to perform Pilates. All you need is some
space on the floor, on a mat or carpet. You can use ankle weights or
resistant bands, or no weights at all.

Exercise 1: Double Legged Bridges.
Starting Position: Lie flat on your back, knees bent at 90 degrees,
feet flat on the floor, and arms at your sides. Tuck in your stomach
to contract your stomach muscles to allow your lower back to flatten
to the floor.
Movement: Lift buttocks off the floor, while keeping stomach muscles
engage throughout the movement. Lift buttocks off the floor about a
foot or more and hold the top position for a count of 1 to 2 seconds.
Slowly lower buttocks to the floor and repeat.
Repetitions: Do 25 reps.

Exercise 2: One Legged Bridging.
Starting Position: Same position as double legged bridging, with the
following exceptions. Right leg should be off the floor about 2 to 3
inches with the knee and hip straight and toes pointing to promote
elongation of the leg. Remember left foot is flat on the floor and
knee is bent at 90 degrees.
Movement: Lift buttocks off the floor to the elevated position while
keeping right leg straight and hold for a count of 1 to 2 seconds.
Slowly lower buttocks to the starting position, and repeat. This is a
more advanced form of bridging.
Repetitions: Do 25 reps of 1 legged bridging, and repeat the exercise
to the other leg.
Muscles: These 2 exercises involve strengthening the hamstrings,
buttocks, and abdomen.

Exercise 3: Straight leg raise.
Starting Position: Lie flat on your back, stomach tucked in, arms at
your sides, and legs hip width apart and straight.
Movement: Starting with right leg, point toes down to promote
elongation, and lift leg straight up to about 90 degrees or less,
depending on your flexibility of hips and hamstrings. Slowly lower leg
back to starting position, and repeat.
Repetitions: Do 25 reps and switch to the left leg.
Muscles: The straight leg exercise involves strengthening the
quadraceps and abdomen and increases the flexibility of the
hamstrings.

Exercise 4: I called this the Helicopter, or Whirly Bird.
Starting Position: Lie flat on your back, feet hip width apart, legs
straight, engage stomach muscles, and arms at your sides.
Movement: Depending on your flexibility, raise right leg to about 75
to 90 degrees with toes pointing to the ceiling. With right toes and
leg, I want you to draw a big and exaggerated letter o (circle) in mid
air.
Repetitions: Do 15 reps for both clockwise and counter clockwise, then
switch to the left leg and do the same.
Muscles: This helicopter ride works the legs, hips and core muscles.
This also helps flexibility of the hamstrings and range of motion of
the hips.

Exercise 5: Side Lying Hip Abduction.
Starting Position: Lie on your right side, keeping your lower and
upper body in straight alignment. Right arm straight on the floor,
aligned with the rest of your body, and head resting on your right
upper arm. If you have a stiff neck, lets modify this position with
right elbow bent at 90 degrees and head resting in the palm of your
hand.
Movement: Starting with the top leg, which is your left leg, toes
pointing down, raise left leg up to your end of range of motion and
hold for a count of 1 to 2 seconds. Slowly lower leg to starting
position, and repeat.
Repetitions: 15 reps for both legs.
Muscles: This works your hip abductors muscles, and remember to engage
your stomach muscles throughout the movement.

Exercise 6: Drawing O's.
Starting Position: Lie on your right side as in the hip abduction exercise.
Movement: While engaging stomach muscles, raise left leg about 6
inches away from the right leg. Keeping toes pointed downward and leg
and knee straight, draw the small letter O both clockwise and counter
clockwise 15 times. Be sure to rest for 30 seconds before switching to
the other way. Then draw the big letter O both clockwise and counter
clockwise 15 times. Be sure to rest for 30 seconds before switching to
the other way.
Repetitions: Do 15 reps for both clockwise and counter clockwise, then
switch to the left leg and do the same.
Muscles: Again, this works your legs, hips, and core muscles. In
addition, it works your range of motion in your hips.

In the February edition, I will continue with four more Pilates
exercises. Pilates is a great exercise program for the home, so enjoy,
be creative, move and do it!

Health tip:
With winter here in the northern hemisphere, and summer in the
southern hemisphere, it is time to protect your skin by moisturizing.
Winter can cause dry skin and cracking. Summer weather can cause
sunburns and premature wrinkles. So we need to protect our skin from
the weather elements.
Benefits for applying moisturizer to the skin:
prevents dullness and dryness, and flaking of the skin.
Improves hydration of the skin.
creates a protective layer of moisture to the skin.

Application:
The best time to apply moisturizer is after you have showered or
washed your face. So, when the skin is moist, that's the time to apply
the moisturizer.

That is it for this month's issue, and remember Exercise Does A Body Good!

Have I Got A Story For You
By Carla Jo Bratton
CarlaJo at TheBlindPerspective.com

Happy New Year Book Friends:
There are a lot of new books headed our way in 2019. Do you have any
you are looking forward to reading? Write in and let me know. This
month I have for you 2 books, polar opposites, really. One set in the
tropics and another one set in a winter wonderland. Let's go!

Something in the Water
written by Catherine Steadman
reading time: 11 hours and 42 minutes
DB 91350
CELA number DA57435
not on RNIB yet
Suspense Fiction & Psychological Fiction

Have you ever wondered, how long does it take to dig a grave? Erin is
a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough,
Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in
love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora
Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while
scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the
water.

Could the life of your dreams be the stuff of nightmares? Suddenly the
newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect
their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt?
Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events.

My comments; This is a who done it? But, more important, it's a what
would you do kind of story. Beautiful tropical setting and tons of
twists and turns. A fast paced read.

Spinning Silver
written by Naomi Novik
reading time; 17 hours and 58 minutes
DB 91647
not on CELA or RNIB yet
Fantasy fiction

Miryem is the daughter and granddaughter of moneylenders, but her
father's inability to collect his debts has left his family on the
edge of poverty, until Miryem takes matters into her own hands.
Hardening her heart, the young woman sets out to claim what is owed
and soon gains a reputation for being able to turn silver into gold.
When an ill-advised boast draws the attention of the king of the
Staryk - grim fey creatures who seem more ice than flesh - Miryem's
fate, and that of two kingdoms, will be forever altered.

Set an impossible challenge by the nameless king, Miryem unwittingly
spins a web that draws in a peasant girl, Wanda, and the unhappy
daughter of a local lord who plots to wed his child to the dashing
young tsar. But Tsar Mirnatius is not what he seems. And the secret he
hides threatens to consume the lands of humans and Staryk alike. Torn
between deadly choices, Miryem and her two unlikely allies embark on a
desperate quest that will take them to the limits of sacrifice, power,
and love.

My comments; This is a retelling of the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale.
Read by Lisa Flanagan and she does a wonderful job. A sparkling
fantasy story filled with folklore and a bit of a mystery. It's long,
but a great winter read.

Until next month, Happy reading,
Carla jo!

The Braille Highway
By Nat Armeni
Nat at TheBlindPerspective.com

Happy New Year! Wishing you a year filled with happiness, good health,
prosperity, and lots of blessings. It is not only a new calendar year
but The Blind Perspective is a year older and of course, so is the
Braille Highway.

It is also Louis Braille's 210th birthday on January 4th. Keeping Mr.
Braille's birthday in mind, I will be giving a quick lesson on
learning braille. I will begin by stating that I am not a braille
instructor nor do I have any training in teaching. For folks who may
have learning braille as one of their New Year's resolution I will
give you a very basic and brief lesson on the A, B, C's & braille
numbers. I do encourage you to find an official institution that
teaches braille once you get the fundamentals from this article. As
per usual, I do invite you to email me by using my address mentioned
at the beginning of this article.

The directions below are for use with a braille writer, not the slate
and stylus. I would recommend that you have ample braille paper
available to practice on, as practice makes perfect.
We will begin with the first ten letters of the alphabet. First the
letter, then the dots needed to create that specific letter will be
given.

A. = dot 1.
B. = dots 1 & 2.
C. = dots 1 &4.
D. = dots 1. 4. & 5.
E. = dots 1 & 5.
F. = dots 1. 2. &4.
G. = dots 1. 2. 4. & 5.
H. = dots 1. 2. & 5.
I. = dots 2 & 4.
J. = dots 2. 4. & 5.
I would recommend that you practice these 10 letters until you can
recall them with ease.

To create the next ten letters of the alphabet in braille, you need to
add dot 3 to the first ten letters. See below.

K. = dots 1 & 3.
L. = dots 1. 2. & 3.
M. = dots 1. 3. &4.
N. = dots 1. 3. 4. & 5.
o. = dots 1. 3. & 5.
P. = dots 1. 2. 3. & 4.
Q. = dots 1. 2. 3. 4. & 5.
R. = dots 1. 2. 3. & 5.
S. = dots 2. 3. & 4.
T. = dots 2. 3. 4. & 5.

There are six more letters that remain, U through Z. With the
exception of the letter W, add the dot 6 to the letters K through O to
create the remaining letters.

U. = dots 1. 3. 6.
V. = dots 1. 2. 3. & 6.
X. = dots 1. 3. 4. & 6.
Y. = dots 1. 3. 4. 5. & 6.
Z. = dots 1. 3. 5. & 6.

Since the w was not used in France during the 1800's, it needed to be
added afterwards.
W. = dots 2. 4. 5. & 6.
That concludes the alphabet. Like I already mentioned, practice is the
best method for learning anything new.

As for the numbers, A. through I = 1 through 9, and J = 0. To
distinguish between the letters and numbers, you must first use the
number sign to represent the dots as a number, rather than a letter.

Here are the numbers, be sure to put the number sign before the dots
representing the number.
Number sign = dots 3. 4. 5. & 6.
1. = number sign, then dot 1.
2.= number sign, then dots 1 & 2.
3. = number sign, then dots 1 & 4.
4. = number sign, then dots 1. 4. & 5.
5. = number sign, then dots 1 & 5.
6. = number sign, then dots 1. 2. & 4.
7. = number sign, then dots 1. 2. 4. & 5.
8. = number sign, then dots 1. 2. & 5.
9. = number sign, then dots 2 & 4.
0. = number sign, then dots 2. 4. & 5.

Once you have mastered the A. B. C's and numbers, you can then
purchase Dymo tape and go label crazy. It will truly open many doors
for your independence. Label medicine, spices, canned/ frozen foods,
files, DVD's, CD's, documents, and much much more!

Thank you for reading my article! Remember to stay on the dotted line
of life! Be safe and see you again in February!

The Guide Dog Journey
By Tammy Lynn
TammyLynn at TheBlindPerspective.com

Welcome to the Guide Dog Journey; a place for all things dog guide related.

First, I would like to acknowledge that although I do have significant
experience and knowledge about guide dogs, I am not a veterinarian nor
am I a guide dog trainer or instructor. If you are experiencing
training or medical difficulties with your canine friend, please
contact the appropriate professional.

Although the technical, non-specific training facility name for these
dogs is dog guide, I use the term "guide dog" in my writings as it is
very commonly used throughout both the blindness community and general
public. Although I will not show favor to any specific training
program here, I will spotlight and interview each school here about
their programs if there is reader interest.

In these articles, I hope to inspire you and share my knowledge,
wisdom and opinions about guide related things. Whether we are matched
with a service animal or have one in our lives somehow, we love the
wagging tail, puppy kisses and companionship that these amazing
creatures provide. So, if you are a guide dog handler, a friend or
family member of a handler or just simply interested in the work of
our canine helpers, I think you will find these articles both
interesting and helpful.

My experience comes from many situations. First as a cane user and
working through the decision to obtain a dog, first dog experience,
retiring a dog for health issues, successor dogs, being dogless for a
time and watching a retired dog grow old. In fact, this column has
been named after my recently retired, outstanding guide named Journey.
It is my hope that you will learn and grow from my experiences.

Topics I hope to cover in my articles include: deciding if a dog is
right for you, choosing a training school, bonding with a dog, travel,
obedience, playing with your dog, and interactions with family,
friends and the public as they relate to guides.

I will begin with the topic of deciding whether or not a guide is for you.
This can be a daunting decision. There are several things to consider
such as your current lifestyle, your living environment, how much time
and energy you have to dedicate to a dog and whether or not you have
the finances and commitment to be able to provide for such an
important animal.
Your lifestyle might need to be such that it gives the dog the work it
needs to stay sharp and do what the dog is trained for. Your living
environment needs to be dog appropriate in ways such as a decent
relief area, a place for the dog to play and somewhere that is safe
for a dog.
Dogs require care and attention. Some people consider a cane to be
more of an attractive option because they may not want to put forth
the time and effort required for a dog. They also like not having to
relieve a dog or the trouble of having to find someone to care for a
dog when they go to areas that are not well suited for a dog.
Although there are guide dog schools and other organizations who can
sometimes assist with the cost of having a guide, financial
considerations are also important when deciding whether or not a dog
is right for you.
Some consider the work and commitment required to use a guide to be a
very worthwhile sacrifice. The assistance, love and companionship a
dog provides is worth it all to many guide dog handlers.
Whether or not to utilize a guide is a very personal decision. Having
a dog or using a cane is an individual choice and should be respected.

Please let me know which other topics you would like to read about and
your comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Thank you for reading and joining me on the Guide Dog Journey!
Until next time, enjoy the journey!

Spencer's Spotlight
By Cheryl Spencer
Cheryl at TheBlindPerspective.com

Here's hoping that each and every one of you have the best possible
year ever! Personally, 2018 was an extremely challenging year for me
so I am not sad to have it behind me.

For this month's spotlight item, I would like to tell you about a
pretty incredible speaker I have recently acquired. It is made by Bose
and it is the SoundLink Micro. It is the smallest bluetooth speaker to
date they make.

It has a four-inch rounded square appearance and fits comfortably in
the palm of my hand. It is rugged, meaning it can take some abuse
without causing it any harm. It has a silicone base and four
protrusions on the bottom of each corner for feet. The dimensions are
approximately 4by 4 square, by about not quite 2 inches high.

This is a take anywhere speaker. Did I tell you it is waterproof! Yes,
you can get it wet, it can go in the shower with you, to the pool, and
even to the beach. It is also equipped with a silicone strap that can
be attached to a showerhead, tote bag, belt, or a beach chair. It
doesn't look very stable but indeed once attached it has a very firm
and secure grip.

If your mouth is not watering by now, let's talk about the features
this little baby has. Of course there is bluetooth, but it can connect
up to eight devices! Yes, eight. When you turn on the speaker, you
will hear a double tone to let you know it is on. Then when you push
the silicone covered button to the right of the micro USB charging
port, it will announce the battery percentage. YES, it talks!

After the battery percentage, it will proceed to announce which device
is currently connected. Although it can connect to eight devices, it
will only tell you the first two. If it is not the device you are
interested in working with, you can press the pairing button, yes, it
is also silicone covered, and each press will cycle through all the
connected devices until you reach the one you want. A long press of
the pairing button will put it in pairing mode so you can connect
another device. It is sooooo cooool, one speaker and 8 devices.

Okay, now let's take a look at the top. On the top left there is
volume up, then the pause/ play in the center, and on the right is
volume down. The volume buttons double as previous track and next
track when pressed twice in quick succession. Another feature is that
it has a microphone built-in and you can actually answer the phone
pressing the play/pause button and use it as a speaker phone.

Okay now, I know you are wanting to know the most important thing, how
much is this small but feature loaded speaker. I was surprised to find
it on Amazon for 99 dollars and I have seen it as low as 69 dollars.

I have not been this impressed with a speaker since I introduced the
little sound core Nano. So, if you are in the market for such a
versatile speaker such as the Bose SoundLink Micro, I give this one a
thumbs up. It is really affordable by Bose standards.

APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice
By Darrin cheney
Darrin at TheBlindPerspective.com

Recording Digital Audio Files on Your iDevice

Consider using your iDevice as a digital audio recorder. A digital
audio recorder is a handy tool you can use to record assignments for a
Hadley course, read a Bible passage you want to braille for church,
make grocery lists and reminders, and much, much more.

Getting Started
Your iDevice comes ready to record digital audio. Use the built-in
microphone or connect your Apple Ear Pods. You can also attach a
professional microphone for better sound quality. iOS 12 comes with
various audio recording apps and you can download other digital audio
recording apps from the Apple App Store. Depending on the app, digital
audio files are saved on your iDevice, in your Apple iCloud account,
or in DropBox. The file storage size is determined by the quality of
the audio recording.

Apps to Explore
Here are a few apps to consider when recording audio on your iDevice.
VOICE MEMO is included in iOS12 and is a good choice if you want to
record a short note, an assignment, or grocery list. Open the app and
Double-Tap on the Record Button to create a recording. Expand the
screen and gain access to the pause button and editing tools. The
files are stored in your iCloud Account. Here is a good article that
provides an overview of Voice Memo: VoiceMemo

RODE REPORTER is a FREE good Professional app that will allow you to
record broadcast quality audio on your iDevice. You can specify
various audio settings, audio compression, and file types. The Record
interface is simple to navigate and easy to play and pause the
recording. You can share the audio file with AirDrop or Save to Files
on your iDevice. Here is a good article that provides an overview of
Rode Reporter: RodeReporter

JUST PRESS RECORD is a good recording app for five dollars. It is very
easy to use with Voice Over. You can record your audio, have it
transcribed, and synced with all your iDevices. You can even record
with your iWatch. SIRI can also start and stop the recordings. Here is
a good article that provides an overview of Just Press Play:
JustPressRecord

Other Apps
If you want to explore more advanced audio recording apps, here are 2
included in iOS 12.
Garage Band is an excellent app for more advanced multi-track audio
recording and editing. iMovie allows you to record voice tracks and
add music for your custom soundtrack. There are also several good
professional apps in the Apple Store designed to work with their
equipment.

Final Thoughts
There are a lot of good tools and resources to explore about recording
digital audio on your iDevice. Start simple. Record reading material
that you will braille later on your braille writer, or record the
recipe for Green Chili Chicken. Then you can explore editing your
audio files. Who knows, you might even want to record your very own
podcast. There is, of course, an app for that. Good Luck!

A Time to Plant
By Sue Brazel
Sue at TheBlindPerspective.com

A Thyme to Grow

Most of the time indoor plants are only green. Do you realize that
greenery has different shades? textures and shapes? Succulents are a
plant family that fits this description.

Succulents are plants that store water in their roots, stems and
leaves. Often the leaves and stems are thick and fleshy. Many times,
people consider them an ornamental plant because of their striking
appearance. In their native habitats, they thrive in hot areas with
low rainfall. In other words, they tend to be drought resistant.

Botanists and horticulturalists differ with their definitions, but in
the plant family, cacti are a subspecies of succulents. In other
words, all cacti (the plural form of cactus) are succulents, but not
all succulents are cacti.

Cacti are found in different shapes, from short and squatty to tall
and thin. When they reproduce, some babies form on the cactus itself,
some form new plants along their root system, and some reproduce by
seeds. With limited or no vision, be careful if you want to feel what
a particular cactus is like. Many cacti have sharp, prickly spines,
although some tropical cacti varieties have no spines.

Hen and Chicks, Jade or Aloe Vera are a few kinds of succulents. There
are many varieties that have no particular name. Plan on keeping them
in a warm environment. If you have a lot of bright sunshine,
succulents should be fine. Plants will reach toward the sun wherever
they are. If your succulents become long and leggy, lose their color,
or lose their compact shape, they probably aren't getting enough
light. You may want to consider using a grow light if you find that
your plants aren't doing well. Succulents should have at least six
hours of sunlight per day to thrive. Give them periods of darkness,
such as at night. During the winter, most succulents are dormant, and
show little or no growth.

Succulents definitely need good drainage. Overwatering succulents will
kill them. Perhaps you should consider setting up a calendar of when
to water, then check that off your "to-do" list after accomplishing
the task. Check the dampness of your potting mix by sticking your
finger tip up to the first knuckle. If it is moist, it is not time to
water again. If it is dry, water at the soil level until water flows
out the bottom of your container, then wait about 20 minutes for all
the water to flow through before returning to the spot where you will
place the plant. Keep in mind that succulents have a shallow root
system; their roots don't grow deep. A coarse sand potting soil or
cactus potting soil will provide the kind of drainage that succulents
need. During the dormant stage, plants need less water than they will
in an active growth stage.

If you want colorful plants, get a variety with color. I am now trying
to nurse a cactus back to health that had been painted. That may take
many years, if it survives long enough.

I hope that in 2019 you will take "thyme" to have a happy, healthy
garden, one plant at a "thyme".

The Alternating Duo: Here's to your Health
by Catherine Hall
Catherine at TheBlindPerspective.com

Teaching and Learning

As someone who is interested in nutrition, health, and fitness, I
listen to a lot of podcasts dealing with those subjects. This week, I
was listening to one of my favorites (Harder to Kill Radio with Steph
Gaudrewau, in case you're wondering), and the topic was diversity in
the health and fitness world. This has been a theme on this particular
podcast for a few weeks, and I braced myself to hear yet another
discussion about racial diversity in the health and fitness world. Or
maybe this time it would be about gender diversity? Or maybe host and
guest would dig into sexual orientation/identity diversity. In any
case, I was sure they would not touch on the topic of physical ability
because, well, no one ever does. I was pleasantly surprised to find
that I was wrong. They dove deep into the subject of including people
with disabilities in their programs as coaches. They covered
everything from why people with disabilities tend to feel
uncomfortable in gyms to why coaches tend not to work effectively with
this population. It was a refreshing conversation to hear, and
encouraging to learn that there are people out there who are actively
teaching coaches how to work with people with disabilities. It got me
thinking about my own experiences as a physically active person who
happens to be blind.

I started working out regularly when I went away to college. I
attended group fitness classes at the campus rec center, and pretty
much kept quiet about my visual impairment - it's not like the
instructor could have given me much in the way of personal attention,
after all, and I didn't want to be a bother. This worked for the most
part, until I started attending yoga classes. I'd never been to a real
yoga class before, and after the first one, it became apparent that I
was going to have to talk to the instructor. I very often had no idea
what she wanted us to do, and looking at her example of the pose was
not helpful. Thankfully, she was a fantastic instructor who believed
in detailed descriptions along with physically helping students align
their poses correctly. In this situation, little more was required of
me than to explain that I couldn't see her well enough to understand
what she was doing, a willingness to let her physically guide me, and
the courage to speak up in class if I didn't understand something. It
was a lovely experience and provided me with a strong foundation for
understanding movement, and how to move my body based off of verbal
cues.

Later, I tried a kickboxing class and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a
very popular class, so again, I followed along, doing the best I
could, but I know I got a lot of techniques wrong. This wasn't meant
to be more than an aerobics class, though, so the instructor really
only cared that we were moving and looked as though we were doing some
approximation of the correct movement. There were other classes that
were smaller, where I was able to get to know the instructor and could
explain my situation. In those cases, the instructors could help me
modify my workout, mostly where safety issues were a concern. After
all, is having the blind person run around a crowded gym, including up
and down a rather steep staircase really a good idea? We also modified
the part where we jumped over our classmates who were doing planks on
the floor, I ran around the edge so I wouldn't come crashing down on
anyone. I would talk to my Pilates instructor before or after class
when I had questions, and if she saw something obviously wrong with
what I was doing during class, she would correct me. It worked because
what I needed was simple and there wasn't a whole lot that had to
change about the fundamental way the instructors taught. Then I
decided to try Capoeira.

Capoeira (spelled c. a. p. o. e. i. r. a. for those of you whose
screen readers are having a hard time with that word) is a Brazilian
martial art that is a dance, a fight, and a game all at once. There is
music involved, and the game is played between two people in the
middle of a circle. It is a game of kicking and dodging with
take-downs and hands on occasion. It's a lot of fun, and it's
certainly not the first activity you'd expect a blind person to be
involved in. I couldn't use my old bag of tricks here. This time, I
needed attention. I needed a lot of help, and I needed to be very up
front about what I could and could not see. My safety, as well as the
safety of my classmates, was at stake. So, I talked to my teacher. It
took a lot of time, patience, and understanding from both of us to
make this work.

One reason the guest on the podcast I mentioned at the beginning of
this article gave for people with disabilities not sticking around at
gyms or in coaching programs is that they don't want to pay for
coaching where they have to do as much teaching as the coach. On one
level, I understand this sentiment. It's tiresome to always be
advocating for yourself, always teaching your teachers, and always
reminding others that you need some extra help. And if your attempt to
advocate for yourself becomes a struggle because your coach isn't
willing to learn from you, then it probably isn't a good match and
it's time to find a different coach or gym. What's important to
recognize when you enter the fitness world as a person with a
disability is that you are as much a teacher as you are a student. It
is important to find a teacher who is willing to learn how to help
you. And as you teach your coach how to teach you, you'll learn a lot
about yourself. You'll learn what methods of teaching work best for
you, and how to help others understand what you need, what your limits
are, and how best to communicate with you. At the same time, if your
teacher is good, they will learn more about themselves as teachers,
more about the activity they are teaching, and might even gain some
new insight into their sport by learning how to work with you. My
Capoeira teacher says that I have helped make him a better Capoeirista
because he can't just demonstrate something and have me understand. He
needs to be able to explain the movement or the concept in words,
which in turn, improves his understanding of the movement or concept.

By the same token, it's important to be patient with both your coach
and yourself. I've been working with the same Capoeira teacher for
five years and I still need to remind him that I didn't see what he
just did sometimes. He's human, after all, and sometimes he forgets. I
also need to be patient with myself because certain concepts or
movements are more difficult for me to understand because I don't have
the visual reference for them. Patience, understanding, and learning
applies to everyone involved and goes both ways. It's tiresome,
sometimes, to always have to be the teacher and the advocate when it
comes to our blindness, but in the end, being willing to take on that
role makes it possible for us to participate in activities that would
be unavailable to us otherwise.

If your goal this year is to take up a new hobby, join a gym, start
CrossFit, or any other new activity, remember that you deserve to be
there, and look for people who are willing to work with you and learn
from you as much as you learn from them.

Dirty Work
By Manny Morales
Manny at TheBlindPerspective.com

Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Hello all, I am excited to be part of this publication for the blind
and visually impaired. My hope is to provide you with some tips,
suggestions, and techniques for cleaning different rooms and things
throughout your home.
You may think it is strange that I begin with cleaning mirrors. Yes, I
used to forget to clean them, since I don't use them. However, I have
gotten in the routine of cleaning them as I tend to have many friends
and family members visiting. Never mind my sister always telling me
that my mirrors needed cleaning.
You will notice throughout my articles that I like to use
non-commercial cleaners as often as I can. Most of the ingredients I
use, you will be able to find right in your pantry, and they are less
expensive too! So, the solution I use for cleaning mirrors, as well as
glass is 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts of water. For example, ½ cup
of vinegar to 2 cups water. Pour the solution into a clean spray
bottle. You can find spray bottles of different sizes at most dollar
stores. You will also need a couple microfiber cloths. These are great
as they don't leave lint behind, nor do they scratch.

Note: if your mirror has any grime that has built up on it, you will
need cotton pads and rubbing alcohol. To detect if you have any grime,
lightly run your fingers over the mirror to feel it. To remove the
grime, moisten a cotton pad with the rubbing alcohol and wipe off the
grime. You will want to do this quickly, as rubbing alcohol evaporates
rapidly.

Ok, now that the grime is gone, let's clean the mirror. Spray your
microfiber cloth generously with the cleaner. When cleaning, always
start from the top, working your way to the bottom. The best way to
wipe the mirror is at the top moving in a left to right motion, moving
down and repeating this sequence down to the bottom.

When you have completed cleaning the mirror, you then can buff it. I
like to lightly wipe down the mirror, again from top to bottom, with a
used dryer sheet, it's a great buffer.

Don't get rid of those used dryer sheets. I will be giving you lots of
uses for those next month. If you have any cleaning questions, just
write to me at the address provided above. Remember its dirty work,
but clean fun!

Cooking Concoctions
By Maxine
Maxine at TheBlindPerspective.com

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
Yields 6-8servings
This is an authentic New England clam chowder recipe. It is very
creamy, and without the cream! Sure to warm you right up on a cold
winter's day.

Ingredients:
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter divided 4T and 8 T
2 yellow onions, chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
8 boiling potatoes, medium diced(red ones are great)
½tsp. thyme
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 quart clam juice
½ cup flour
2 cups milk(I use ½ light cream &1 ½ milk)
3 cups minced chowder clams

Directions:
Melt 4T of butter in a large stock pot.
Add onions, cook over medium low heat for ten minutes.
Add the celery, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Sauté for ten minutes.
Add the clam juice, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered till veggies
are tender about 20 minutes.
In a small pot, melt the remaining butter (8 T).
Whisk in the flour, making a rue here.
Cook over very low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Whisk 1 cup of hot broth (from big pot) then pour mixture back into
the stock pot.
Simmer for a few minutes, so broth thickens.
Add the milk and clams, heat gently to cook clams.

Serve hot! Great with some fresh crusty bread or oyster crackers.

Riddle & Brain Buster
By Alex Smart
Alex at TheBlindPerspective.com

Riddle
I am rarely touched but often held, and if you are smart you'll use me
well. What am I?

Answer to December's riddle
What do you get if you cross a snowman with a witch?
A cold spell

Brain Buster
Dis Information
Complete the blanks in the following sentences with a word starting
with the prefix dis, that completes the sentence in a punny way. Dis
always equals this in the pun. A bonus hint, a definition of the dis
words appear somewhere in the sentence. Example: Please take apart
BLANK from over the fireplace: dismantle.

Blank was filled with alarm by the mess the butler left her to cclean up.
I managed to convince Elvis by argument not to use Blank for his blue shoes.
We decided to take the money from blank we found on the street and
scatter it about.
One who argues with me a lot said blank plate is not as pretty as the
bronze one.
The perfume tester said, "I do not agree with the majority, blank stinks.

Answers to December's brain busters
Braving the Elements
Levis + R = silver.
Furls + U = Sulfur.
Rang + O = Argon.
Rumba + I = Barium.
Acorn + B = Carbon.
Clink + E = nickel.
Bloat + C = Cobalt.

The Blind Perspective
Where we aim to keep you informed and entertained
The Blind Perspective
Subscribe by sending an email to: TheBlindPerspective+subscribe at groups.io
And don't forget to like us on Facebook at
facebook.com/TheBlindPerspectiveNewsletter

Follow us on twitter: @BlindPerspectNL

Thank you for reading the Blind Perspective!
© 2015-2019 All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be
reproduced in any way without the prior expressed written permission
of The Blind Perspective.
THE END
The Blind Perspective
Administrative Team
Remember it Pays to be Plugged in to The Blind Perspective Where we
Aim to Keep You Informed & Entertained!
Email Us At: info at theblindperspective.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/TheBlindPerspectiveNewsletter
Our Twitter Handle: @BlindPerspectNL
www.theblindperspective.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#46): https://groups.io/g/theblindperspective/message/46
-=-=-
Please note: this is a distribution list only.
-=-=-
Group Owner: theblindperspective+owner at groups.io
[cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com]

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human
life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will
never sit.
--D. Elton Trueblood