[NFBOH-Cleveland] [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Man Resolves Employment Discrimination Case with Amazon.com

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 01:11:52 UTC 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Blind Man Resolves Employment Discrimination Case with Amazon.com

National Federation of the Blind Provided Legal Assistance

Vacaville, California (May 23, 2019): Alfredo Estrada has reached an
agreement with Amazon.com to resolve claims that Mr. Estrada filed in July
2018 with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. He was
represented by the TRE Legal Practice with the assistance of the National
Federation of the Blind.

Mr. Estrada, who is blind, was hired for a part-time sortation associate
position at the Amazon.com sortation center in Vacaville and requested
accommodations when reporting for his first day of work in October 2017. He
alleges that Amazon.com did not participate in the interactive process for
reasonable accommodations required by the Americans with Disabilities Act
and improperly denied him the opportunity to work. Amazon denies wrongdoing
or liability. However, the parties were able to engage in meaningful
discussion and jointly reach a resolution.

Amazon.com, which already provides training on the legally required
interactive process regarding requests for accommodation, has agreed to
provide further training at its Vacaville sortation center on this important
issue. It has also committed to engage in further assessment and interaction
with Mr. Estrada to determine his ability to work in the position for which
he was hired with reasonable accommodations.

Mr. Estrada, whose vision is restricted to a very limited, pinhole central
visual field following an accident when he was a teenager, received
associate degrees in mechanical engineering technology and aircraft
maintenance technology from City College of San Francisco. He then worked
for more than twenty years as an airline mechanic at United Airlines at San
Francisco International Airport, with reasonable accommodations such as
additional training time and a person assigned to him for a finite period to
assist in orienting him to his work environment.

"I have education and skills and want to work," said Mr. Estrada. "I am
looking forward to the opportunity to prove that I can do the job I was
hired for."

"The National Federation of the Blind is committed to ensuring that blind
people can find employment that meets their aspirations and qualifications
without discrimination," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. "Our goal is for all blind Americans to have equal
employment opportunities in order to live the lives they want."

###

About the National Federation of the Blind The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest and largest
nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB
consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty states,
Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of blind people
of all ages and provides information and support to families with blind
children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the
hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is
confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in
relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been
automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a
Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for
your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and
compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.