[NFBOH-Cleveland] Response

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 14:41:48 UTC 2019

Good Morning,

Below is the young person who was on the Breakfast Club Morning Show. I want you to read  in her words the experience that she went through after that airing. She is young and impressionable and that conversation crushed her.

Please do not forget to call this number and put a voice behind the purpose!

(212) 377-7900

 <https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2395218790759723&id=100008148765639&__tn__=%2CdH-R-R&eid=ARDslkC_Pn4AqdKbmn2nvcaam_BF_fkqfhxSdJS6nprEGz6JGxmedg0BB17ldky3ca6fn9jT5u1udldb>

 <https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2395218790759723&id=100008148765639&__tn__=%2CdH-R-R&eid=ARDslkC_Pn4AqdKbmn2nvcaam_BF_fkqfhxSdJS6nprEGz6JGxmedg0BB17ldky3ca6fn9jT5u1udldb>

 <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008148765639&__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARAdTHqTJl94TJH5oDX4nhDqytrYuFISfYCUiZ6PBETkmM7j1nsgRWkY5_XQwOXACV62aysAbljGG8-q&hc_ref=ARRW82M0xJ7v-Ad7tuNNrYK3WI3mMIQlNpDKqCpigTQrBvFU__AJBUZMNUlC2yczWM8&fref=nf> Chelsie Reid

 <https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2395218790759723&id=100008148765639> Yesterday at 7:52 AM

Good morning friends, family, and people who I would love to get to know better. I just wanted to explain to you what’s going on in my life right now. I would like to say that on Wednesday September 4 in the morning I called as a person who loves to listen to this show and I called to vent and share my feelings on how blind people cannot obtain the same jobs that sited people can.
I was calling not only on my behalf but the behalf of many people with disabilities in general. When I called and I explained my situation I was immediately told that blind people cannot babysit their children. I respect this and I don’t want anyone to feel that I’m upset because of this. Immediately after this I said OK whatever because in my mind I’m trying to D escalate the situation. If you are a parent and you feel strongly about types of people not babysitting your children you have that right and I’m not going to argue back-and-forth about that. However, my problem is after I hung up they continue to escalate the situation by putting out a pole and making fun of the fact that blind people in their opinion should not be able to look after children in general. This for me is horrible, the reason why is because it’s already so hard for people like us to find jobs in this community who views us with one light. I like to mention that I am a sophomore in college and I’m still learning about my future profession I’m trying to become an early childhood education teacher so I’m still learning all of the basic information on how to observe, assess, and take care of children in general. I am not a mom I am however a big sister, And cousin, and God sister. What I know is how to do is change pampers when she was little play and keep her close to me if we were in public and generally try to scold her if she became rambunctious and rude. I like to point out that this conversation happened really early in the morning and I’m not always articulate that early. I also would like to point out that I did not think that I would get on this show so it took me by surprise and I was a little bit nervous. If they would have asked me intelligent and educated questions I would explain to them that I am a sister, a friend, a daughter, a student, and I am able to do anything that they can do. Instead they ganged up on me and that is why it painted me in a bad light and overall blind people in a bad light. I would like to take the time and tell you that I will call again not because I want to argue with them but I need to make a statement. I want everyone reading this to know that if you are blind, disabled, young, weird, shy, or outgoing I want you to know that don’t let anyone ever tell you you can’t achieve something!
After my phone call with them and I heard them saying all of these rude things at that point in time I was very discouraged and I was going to give up on my future profession.
Please stand up for what you believe and don’t let anyone tell you differently. Instead of being educated and looking at facts about people who are blind they took their time to say horrible things like a guy dog would be a better babysitter than a actual human being that is demeaning that is despicable and I hope that if you feel the same way as me you speak your mind you show them that you can achieve anything!😎🌟🌟🌟☺️