[NFBOH-Cleveland] Attention! Attention!

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 01:32:48 UTC 2019

Cleveland,

I am going to provide you with various announcements, please take note and review as much as necessary.

First, it was exciting to see Cheryl Fields online. We will continue to keep her family in prayer.

Also, please keep our members who are healing and shut-in. Give them a call to let them know that we miss them. If they need anything, let the Board of Directors know.

Congratulations to Ali! He is a working man and we know that his students at Tri-C are lucky to have him. Please wish him well and much success.

Congratulations to Owen as well. His paintings are being viewed throughout Northeast Ohio. This is an exciting time for our membership. So, please get out and support him.

Braille is essential to the Blind’s literacy. There is something to be said when the blind has an opportunity to feel those dots under their finger tips forming words, sentences and more. It is specific, it is a technique that everyone is not able to grasp. However, effort and determination needs to be rewarded. We have to keep encouraging our members to continue learning Braille to assist them with their everyday activities. Cleveland has several members learning Braille at various levels. Therefore, give them a push and whisper in their ear that “we are proud of you and you will be victorious”.

Now on to business!

I need your help! I really need your help! I really, really need your help!

Have I told you that I needed your help?

OK! Now that I have your attention, let me tell you why!

First, Para Transit has not gotten any better, essentially it has gotten worse. Therefore, I need my members to attend the ADA Advisory meeting on Thursday, September 19, 2019. The meeting will start at 9:30 AM until 11:00 AM. We are at the downtown headquarters of RTA. The address is 1240 W 6th Street. We are there to bring a presence, not to bash. We will offer support and be at the table when decisions are made. Please schedule your ride accordingly.

Secondly, The Cleveland Sight Center will hold a forum with RTA on Tuesday. This is not a NFB event. Therefore, I am not sure of its agenda. I urge you to contact Alicia at the Sight Center for more detail. Please do not back out of the Thursday meeting thinking that Tuesday’s meeting will suffice. By all means, I need you on Thursday!

Next, I need everyone who knows of a blind individual who would benefit from our Adjusting To Blindness Seminar to encourage them to apply for the October 5, 2019 Peer Mentoring Sessions. We have people who want to attend, but are afraid to recognize that fact, that they are blind. Do not push them! We should be encouraging them. There is an application that they would complete. See Sandy, Gloria, Ali, Wilbert, Brook  and Jackson to learn more.

Also, October is meet the blind month. We will discuss next week, during our September 20th meeting, more details about our Informational Seminar in Lake County on October 18, 2019. However, we will not have an evening meeting that day; since we will be in Willowick during the day. I am proposing that we as a group get together and fellowship at a restaurant. Again, we will talk more on next Friday.

Speaking of next Friday. Our September 20, 2019 meeting will be at the Cleveland Sight Center from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM. The location is 1909 E. 101st Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. If you can not physically attend, call (216) 658-4532. We will have a speaker from the Greater Cuyahoga County Rape Crisis Center addressing advocacy, prevention and community involvement.

If you are considering running for office in the Cleveland Chapter, contact or speak to Evelyn MorsonEaddie. The positions of President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer are open in November. There are two Board seats open as well. Also, if you are considering running for a State Board seat at the State Affiliate level, contact your Affiliate President, Richard Payne at RCHPAY7 at gmail.com <mailto:RCHPAY7 at gmail.com> .

Reminders:

A. Popcorn orders and funds are due.

B. Please bring $65 to reserve a seat on our Cleveland chartered bus to the 2019 State Convention.

C. The 2019 State Convention is November 1, 2 and 3, 2019. If you have not reserved your room, please call (216) 885-3334. Rooms are $105 per night with breakfast and Wi-Fi included.

D. To Preregister for the Convention, please go online at NFBOhio.ORG. The cost for Preregistration is $15 and the Banquet is $40 However, if you pay onsite, add $5 to each.

E. For those who can not independently register online, please bring your money to the meeting to gain assistance. The total is $55.

F.  . Volunteers are needed at the Convention. Please extend our outreach efforts that we do in and around Cleveland over into Columbus at the Convention. You are needed. Contact me if you will assist.

G. I received a message today and it is below. Consider being a part of Meet The Blind Month and Breast Cancer Awareness. when you read this, if you would like to participate, let me know by contacting me at (216) 990-6199.

G. Today, Sandy has put out the information about the Sharing Solutions for Vision Loss Teleconference. The work that she and Gloria is doing is appreciated! Thank you to them both. The September  Sharing Solutions for Vision Loss teleconference will be held this Sunday, September 15  at 7:00 p.m.  The topic this month will be Recreation and leisure. Discussed will be favorite hobbies and recreation activities and how to make them accessible.

H. Finally, Cleveland will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month starting September 15, 2019 sharing stories about our Hispanic leaders in the movement.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out to me.

During our meeting, we will discuss the Gavel Award. We will work on this as a Chapter! This is a lot, but we are very active, very motivated and we get things done. I am proud of our Chapter and you should be as well. I will let you in on a secret though, we will relax in November and December. However, we will gear up for 2020. I know we can!

///

BLIND GIRL MAGIC,

TEAM BLIND GIRL MAGIC, It’s time to gear up!

Pre-sale season!

You don’t want to miss out on this limited edition of Blind Girl Magic PINK T-shirt, with silver glittery letters With the phrase, "Blind Girl Magic" the L in the word Blind is the long white cane, which is symbolic for independence in the blind community, PLUS the L in Girl is a PINK shimmery ribbon to support Breast Cancer Awareness. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Meet the Blind Month is celebrated in October and we are proud to share this month with Breast Cancer Awareness. #TagTeam# We Support Each Other

Blind Girl Magic!

Preorder sales end September 25, 2019.

Cash App $20 with size of your shirt(s) to $Visionary1977

Hot Deal: Submit ten orders and your shirt is free.

Please share with chapters, divisions, family, and friends. Remember, you don’t have to be blind to rock blind girl gear!

Questions? Call Visionary @ 409-344-1005

Respectfully, Jeanetta

///

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner, President

NFBOH-Cleveland Chapter

C: (216) 990-6199

P: (641) 715-3900

Ex: 582705

A: PO Box 141077

Cleveland, Ohio 44114

E: President.NFB.ClevelandOhio at Gmail.com <mailto:President.NFB.ClevelandOhio at Gmail.com>

Please visit and take a moment to like our Facebook Page!

https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/