[NFBOH-Cleveland] The Cleveland Chapter Celebrates, Hispanic Heritage Month

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:15:52 UTC 2019

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter

CELEBRATES

National Hispanic Haritage Month

Cleveland is taking an opportunity to recognize and thank our Hispanic and
Latino members for the contributions made and the importance of their work
on "changing what it means to be blind" in the National Federation of the
Blind. Therefore, we will salute our Hispanic and Latino American members by
highlighting their stories and influence in what has helped to shape the
fabric of the National Federation of the Blind. We will begin our
celebration by getting to know Rosy Carranza, who is the National Co-Chair
for the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

 Before Rosy's  introduction, here is some history behind the celebration on
Hispanic Heritage Month. So, keep watching for her story in the near future.

Also, other Hispanic leaders will be forth coming. These biographies will be
put on Cleveland's email, ListServe and on Facebook during September and
October. Each week, you will come familiar with them. Some you will know,
but others you may not. Hopefully, you will have an opportunity to meet them
in the future. However, I can assure you that their stories will be
motivating and with humility. So, watch for their life changing
edifications.

Observing Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month takes place September 15 to October 15 every year as
a time to recognize and celebrate the many contributions, diverse cultures,
and extensive histories of the American Latino community. Beginning in 1968,
Hispanic Heritage Month was originally observed as "Hispanic Heritage Week"
under President Lyndon Johnson, but it was later extended to a month during
President Ronald Reagan's term in 1988.

Since then, the month has been celebrated nationwide through festivals, art
shows, conferences, community gatherings, and much more. The month also
celebrates the independence days of several Latin American countries,
including: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua on
September 15th, Mexico on September 16th, and Chile on September 18th. They
also include holidays that recognize Hispanic contributions such as Virgin
Islands-Puerto Rico Friendship Day that is celebrated in the U.S. Virgin
Islands.

President Donald Trump
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-n
ational-hispanic-heritage-month-2019/> officially proclaimed National
Hispanic Heritage Month in a release on September 13th, saying: National
Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the accomplishments of Hispanic
Americans, who have enriched our culture and society and helped make America
into the incredible country it is today. Hispanic-American men  and women
embody the American values of devotion to faith and family, hard work, and
patriotism through their countless contributions as leaders, innovators,
entrepreneurs, and members of our Armed Forces. Observing Hispanic Heritage
Month allows our country to show its recognition and support for the work
Latinos are doing in helping this country grow.