[NFBOH-Cleveland] Article: Learning Braille in My Sixties: A Senior's Perspective,

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 15:16:54 UTC 2020

Learning Braille in My Sixties: A Senior's Perspective

We are often told that Braille is difficult. This is especially true for
seniors, or so says conventional wisdom. We asked one senior about his
experiences and here is what Bob Gardner said:

I learned Braille when I was in my sixties as a student at one of our NFB
training centers. At the center, all students--including those who already
knew Grade 2 Braille--were required to participate in the Braille class.

I came into the class knowing Grade 1 Braille but was now required to learn
Grade 2 contracted Braille. For me, it was my most difficult class. When
asked to read my lessons aloud to the other students, I often felt like the
class dunce. It was a humbling experience, a frustrating experience.

But I was determined to graduate and getting through all the lessons in the
McDuffy Reader was a requirement for graduation. So, I was going to do it!
And I did. It wasn't pretty, but I think I finished the last lesson my last
week at the center.

I am proud I graduated from BLIND, Inc., and I am proud I can read Braille.
I am not the fastest Braille reader by far, but I consider Braille another
tool in my toolbox of blindness skills. I continue to read Braille, trying
to read daily from hard copy books provided by the National Library Service.

I don't think I would feel complete without the ability to read Braille.
Also, I consider myself an example which disproves the adage that seniors
cannot learn Braille.

The National Federation of the Blind advocates for Braille Literacy and
quality Braille instruction in a myriad of ways. We celebrated World Braille
Day this month in honor of the inventor of Braille, Louis Braille, whose
birthday was January fourth. Watch our video about celebrating Braille
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-6szTAUJAY> . Learn more about our Braille
literacy initiatives by visiting our BELL
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> R Academy Page,
learning about our Free Slate and Stylus Program
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-slate-and-stylus-program> ,
Exploring Our Early Childhood Initiatives
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/> , and
reading the
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor>
Braille Monitor.