[NFBOH-Cleveland] Pre-Convention Meeting Notes

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 01:10:11 UTC 2020

Pre-Convention Meeting:

Details on the national convention

Suzanne Turner, Ohio Affiliate Vice president

(216) 990-6199

We will celebrate NFB's eightieth anniversary and expand our circle of
participation, connecting blind Americans from coast to coast for what we
expect to be the largest gathering of blind people in history.

I: Convention Dates

A:Tuesday, July 14, 2020 thru Saturday, July 18, 2020

II: Schedule

The schedule for the 2020 National Convention is as follows.

1: Rookie Roundup

Date: Tuesday July 7th

Time: 8:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M. EDT.

All convention attendees are cordially invited to attend a welcoming Zoom
meeting Tuesday,

July 7th from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. EDT.

President Riccobono and Pam Allen will be on hand to preview convention
activities and get everyone ready for the big event.

Here is the Zoom Link:

https://zoom.us/j/91250893803
Dial: +1 301 715 8592

Zoom Webinar ID: 912 5089 3803

One-tap mobile: +13017158592,,91250893803#

To learn about Zoom, read the Braille Monitor

2: PRESIDENTIAL SUITE

This year the Presidential Suite will be in a Zoom room, accessed by
XXXXXXX. You will be able to leave a message with the host for Mark
Riccobono, the elected President of the National Federation of the Blind. We
will also have some limited opportunities for individuals or groups to
schedule appointments to speak with him.

1: You would let the host know you would like to schedule a meeting

2: leave your contact information so they can reach you with the appointment
time.

Presidential Suite hours are:

Tuesday;

9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Wednesday;

9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.;

6:00 to 9:00 p.m.

Thursday;

9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.;

5:00 to 6:30 p.m.

Friday;

9:00 to 10:45 a.m.

Saturday;

9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

III: Mingle with other members in the Presidential Suite. A host will be
available to greet visitors, virtual meeting rooms will be available for
Federation members to talk to one other, and Federation leaders will be
available to answer questions and to make connections within the resource
network of the movement.

Also, you can connect by

1: Facebook

2: Twitter

C: Instagram

Dates for meetings:

Tuesday, July 14:

Seminars

Wednesday, July 15:

Board Meeting and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 16:

Division Day and Opening Ceremonies

Friday, July 17:

Presidential Report, General Sessions, and Affiliate Caucus

Saturday, July 18:

Business Meeting, Resolutions, and Banquet

IV: Convention Related:

Accommodations:

Requests for specific accommodations were due to us thirty days prior to the
convention. If you have not submitted your request, please do so immediately
by sending an email to

 <mailto:jerniganinstitute at nfb.org> jerniganinstitute at nfb.org. Late requests
will be considered but we cannot guarantee that we can fulfill them due to
time and resource constraints.

Honoring our Blind Veterans

Veterans' Celebration of Freedom

Vernon Humphrey, president of the National Association of Blind Veterans, is
reaching out to all veterans that will be taking part in the national
convention so they can participate in the annual Celebration of Freedom.
Please contact him at  <mailto:mr_president at nabv.org> mr_president at nabv.org
or 706-329-7960 if you are, or you know of, a military veteran that will be
participating in convention this year.

captioning

We are committed to providing captioning for every general meeting and for
those meetings attended by deafblind participants. If you plan to attend a
seminar and would like to ensure that captioning is provided, please email
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17395&qid=3819575>
jerniganinstitute at nfb.org with a list of convention sessions you will be
attending. You may also connect with the
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/divisions> NFB
DeafBlind Division to learn more.

V: Registration

Registration is closed. However, anyone can participate with the convention.
But, our  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/constitution>
constitution states that only members  of the NFB have the right to
participate in decision making when it comes to organizational policy. If
you are not already a member,  <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/join-us>
join the NFB today.

VI: Accessing the Convention

There will be multiple ways to

participate in and interact

with all convention events,

1: video conferencing

2: phone access.

3: Tune-In

4: Alexa

VIII: Action Items,

A: Door Prizes,  "1: One must alert by either

1: (raising hand

2: or sending an email with a code that will be provided,

3: all door prizes will be mailed to winners)

B: Voting (

NFB members registered for the 2020 National Convention are invited to
enroll to vote.

If 4you are an active member of the Federation,

you will receive a separate email

regarding how to enroll.

You must enroll a single phone number

and vote only from that number.

Voting will be done via

1: Text

2: phone.

Enrollment is optional,

but members are encouraged to participate

actively in the convention decision making.

The voting enrollment deadline is

12:00 p.m. EDT

on Sunday, July 12.

Voting for national

elections

and resolutions

will be conducted via

 (text messaging) and phone.

However, voting does require an additional step to verify the phone number
that you intend to use for voting.

Current members who registered for convention will receive instructions via
email. The deadline for phone number verification is July 12.

To vote:

1: (one must be a registered member,

2: one must enroll online in order to vote,

3: when enrolling, use the telephone number that will capture your vote)

Legal Office Hours

Disability rights attorneys will be available to discuss

employment discrimination,

access barriers,

and other concerns

with individuals

Tuesday, July 14,

and Wednesday, July 15,

from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. EDT.

You must schedule your private, twenty-minute appointment by emailing
vyingling at nfb.org
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17600&qid=3871706> .

C: Agenda

All Seminars, Committee Meetings,  along with the General Session,
Employment Activities  will have their own Zoom links and telephone numbers
for participants to join.

IX: There will be an Exhibit Hall  and Career Fair, which will also have
their own rooms on Zoom.

The Career Fair registration   is required.

To accommodate all who wish to attend, There will be  two seminars on how to
navigate online with employers. So attend one of the two presentations

July 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Eastern

July 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Eastern.

Call: 669 900 6833

ID: 773 307 6440

Password: 632632

The exhibit hall will be hosted this year using a platform called
CrowdCompass. Mobile apps are available for both the iOS and Android
platforms. A web portal is also available.

Exhibit Hall Dates:

*	Tuesday; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
*	Thursday; 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
*	Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
*	Saturday; 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Independence Market hours of operation are:

*	Tuesday; 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday; 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
*	Thursday; 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
*	Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
*	Saturday; Closed

X: Donations

  1: PAC Plan

There is currently a fillable form online that can be submitted.

Also, the PAC Plan will be announced at the Convention often. If you would
like to sign-up. Ohio will do the honors.

2: $20 dollar Donation

You can donate to the Jernigan, Tenbroek, White Cane or SUN Funds online.
Each 20 dollar donation will get your name into a drawing to win all
expenses paid to the 2021 National Convention.

XI: Please review our code of conduct
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17604&qid=3871706> .
Prohibited behavior or misuse of the NFB National Convention platform will
not be tolerated and may result in removal from the convention and/or other
consequences. For assistance or to report an incident during the convention,
call 410-659-9314, extension 2475 or email coc at nfb.org
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17605&qid=3871706> .

XII: Please contact Eric Duffy at peduffy63 at gmail.com
<mailto:peduffy63 at gmail.com>  if you want to serve on the Action Team.

You can contact me to work as an Ambassador who will trouble shoot
complaints, questions and agenda info.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Suzanne Turner, Ohio Affiliate Vice President

Cleveland Chapter, President

(216) 990-6199

Please click on the links below to learn more about the organization

The Ohio Affiliate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8

"Live the life you want" featuring, National President, Mark Riccobono

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share> &feature=share

Visit and take a moment to like our Facebook Page!

https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/

blindness is not what holds you back.