[NFBOH-Cleveland] Make Preparations

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:43:32 UTC 2020

Convention Bulletin 2020

by John Berggren

>From the Editor: John Berggren serves in many capacities for the National
Federation of the Blind, and what a wonderful mix of gentleness, competence,
patience, and decisiveness. In this article he writes in his capacity as the
chairman of convention organization and activities. Here is his exciting

As hard as it may be to believe, in just a few short weeks the world will
celebrate the arrival of a new year. Many will gather to enjoy fireworks,
raise a toast to family and friends, and realize that they have still not
learned all the words to "Auld Lang Syne." Some of us will turn our
attention to the task of setting New Year's resolutions. Whether you plan to
eat more green vegetables or to visit the gym beyond the month of January,
there is one goal that must be on your list. Resolve to be in Houston this
July for the National Federation of the Blind's 2020 National Convention.

It has been nearly fifty years since the largest gathering of the organized
blind has convened in Houston, Texas, and our return in 2020 will be an
event not to be missed. The Hilton Americas-Houston hotel (1600 Lamar
Street, Houston, TX 77010) will serve as our convention headquarters hotel.
Situated in the heart of downtown Houston across the street from the
beautiful twelve-acre Discovery Green park, the Hilton Americas is an ideal
location for our annual event. Ballrooms, breakout space, and sleeping rooms
are all stacked in the same tower housed on a single city block, simplifying
navigation and minimizing travel distances. In-room internet is
complimentary to all attendees as is access to the health club and swimming
pool on the 23rd floor. There is an array of dining options on the hotel's
lobby level (including a Starbucks for those of you requiring a caffeine
fix) and many more choices within easy walking distance from the Hilton's
front door.

The nightly rate at the Hilton Americas-Houston is $105 for singles,
doubles, triples, and quads. In addition, the sales tax rate is 8.25
percent, and the hotel occupancy tax rate is 17 percent. To book your room
for the 2020 convention, call 1-800-236-2905 after January 1. For each room,
the hotel will take a deposit of the first night's room rate and taxes and
will require a credit card or a personal check. If you use a credit card,
the deposit will be charged against your card immediately. If a reservation
is cancelled before Monday, June 1, 2020, half of the deposit will be
returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

We have also secured overflow space at the wonderful Marriott Marquis
Houston. The Marriott is only a three-block walk directly across Discovery
Green, or attendees can walk entirely indoors through the George R. Brown
convention center, connecting both hotels on the second level. You will find
many of the same amenities at the Marriott as well as a Texas-shaped lazy
river pool. The room rate at the Marriott Marquis is a slightly higher $119
per night for singles, doubles, triples, and quads. To book a room, call
1-877-688-4323 after January 1. The same deposit and cancellation policies
apply.

The 2020 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly
exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication
to the goals and work of our movement. Please note that the convention
dates, July 14 through July 19, are later than those originally announced
this past summer in Las Vegas. Preconvention seminars for parents of blind
children and other groups and set-up of the exhibit hall will take place on
Tuesday, July 14, and adjournment will be Sunday, July 19, following the
banquet. Convention registration and registration packet pick-up will begin
on Wednesday, July 15, and both Wednesday and Thursday will be filled with
meetings of divisions and committees, including Thursday morning's annual
meeting, open to all, of the Board of Directors of the National Federation
of the Blind. General convention sessions will begin on Friday, July 17, and
continue through the banquet on Sunday, July 19.

Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates, local
chapters, and individuals. Once again prizes should be small in size but
large in value. Cash, of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As a
rule, we ask that prizes of all kinds have a value of at least $25 and not
include alcohol. Drawings will occur steadily throughout the convention
sessions, and you can anticipate a grand prize of truly impressive
proportions to be drawn at the banquet. You may bring door prizes with you
to convention or send them in advance to the National Federation of the
Blind of Texas at 1600 E Highway 6, Suite 215, Alvin, TX 77511.

The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of our
special interest groups, committees, and divisions; the most stimulating and
provocative program items of any meeting of the blind in the world; the
chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and the unparalleled
opportunity to be where the real action is and where decisions are being
made-all of these mean you will not want to miss being a part of the 2020
National Convention. To assure yourself a room in the headquarters hotel at
convention rates, make your reservations early. We plan to see you in
Houston in July.