[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Chapter Updates

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 20:17:59 UTC 2021

Good Afternoon Cleveland Members,

Here are your updates:

First, I hope you are in good health and remaining safe. Today it is a
cooler day and I am enjoying this. For the last few days, the humidity has
been dreadful. So, enjoy the cooler weather.

///

Ohio Affiliate Announcement:

The time has finally come when we are beginning to plan in person family
gatherings. That is true for our personal families as well as for our
Federation family. We are doing this of course, with the understanding that
Covid-19 has not gone away. What we know is that getting one of the vaccines
that are now available. To us is the only way to stay safe. If you are not
fully vaccinated, you should consider wearing your mask at all Federation
events. To schedule an appointment to get a COVID-19 vaccine, call the City
of Cleveland at (216) 664-2222. They will provide you with a scheduled
appointment. You can also visit your local pharmacy.

///

Cleveland Chapter Annual Monthly Meeting:

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM, we will hold our
meeting/picnic at the Memphis Metro Park. 10340 Memphis Avenue, Brooklyn,
Ohio 44144. Food will graciously be provided by the Cleveland Chapter with a
few members donating water, snacks and more. If you too would like to
donate, please give me a call. You must register so that we will have an
accurate count to provide food and refreshments. In addition, we need to
know your sandwich preference. Is it turkey, ham or cold cut? For an
additional choice our own Wayne Fletcher will fire up the grill and provide
hot dogs. So, you can make a choice to have that instead. Chips, cookies and
snacks will be offered as stated previously. Again, you must register. This
event is for members first and if we can open it to guest, we will notify
you next week. However, if there is someone who would like to join the
Cleveland Chapter as a member, they are most welcome to join us on the 28th.
Please all members come out and join. Those who are in the suburb, we want
to see you there. The park is safe and beautiful and members you will be
comfortable and have a great time. We have the pavilion to ourselves with
lots of room and serving tables. Note! Please wear your mask. But, hand
sanitizers and masks will be provided if need be. Bring your lawn chairs if
you wish. However, there will be four to each picnic table for safety and
they are spread far apart from one another. There is a real bathroom as
well. So, call or email me.

///

Chapter Responsibility:

Just a reminder, if you have not paid your dues or humbly donated
financially to back the picnic, please bring the funds to the
meeting/picnic. Natassha Ricks will be available to retrieve them.

///

Membership Meeting:

On this Wednesday, there will be an Ohio Affiliate meeting. I am encouraging
all Cleveland members to be present. Here is the details from our Affiliate
President, Richard Payne.

Dear members,

You are being invited to a very important meeting,  this meeting will be to
update the membership and also get feedback about any issues or questions
that the membership may have. We would like all members to attend and if you
plan to attend the Columbus seminar it is especially important for you to be
available for this meeting.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: All member meeting.

Time: Aug 18, 2021, 07:00 PM (East)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/4081850851

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851# US (New York)

Call: 669 900 6833

Id: 4081850851

///

Sharing Solutions Meeting:

Announcement from Barbara Pierce,

Senior Division members will have noticed that today is the third Sunday of
the month, so it should be the day of our Sharing Solutions gathering.
However, when I invited Todd Elzey to host the August meeting, he and
I-mostly me-came up with the 22nd as the date of the meeting. So there will
be no meeting this evening. I will send a note this week about next week's
meeting on hearing augmentation devices.

Sorry for the confusion,

///

Board of Directors Meeting and Columbus Seminar:

Here are the details from Eric Duffy, Legislative Chair,

We are planning for a Columbus Seminar on September 20 and 21. The Board of
Directors will meet in the afternoon of September 19. We are also planning a
short job seekers seminar for the morning of September 20. , I don't know
exactly how everything will work yet, because we are in the very early
planning stages. But, what I do know is that as a member of a chapter or
division of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, you are an
integral part of who we are as an organization, and we are relying on you to
help us make these events successful. Use these opportunities to build your
chapter and therefore to build the affiliate.

Please read carefully the outline for the three days beginning on September
19,  as presented below. The Board of Directors is committed to making these
events all inclusive. This means that we will do what we can to assist with
transportation, meals, and lodging, though we will be deeply grateful for
personal support for the events. We expect anyone who agrees to participate
in any or all  of the events to do so in a way that is in accordance with
the code of conduct of the National Federation of the Blind and is also
engaging, respectful, consistent with the brand and values of the National
Federation of the Blind, and that will help participants grow as members of
this organization. This is true regardless of whether or not we are
providing you with financial assistance.

1: The Board of Directors will meet at 1:00 PM on Sunday, September 19. This
of course is an open meeting, and we urge as many members who can do so to
attend.  If for travel scheduling or other logistical reasons members need
to stay at the hotel Saturday night, we will work out the details if we know
of the situation in advance. We will gather for a relaxing dinner at a local
restaurant shortly after the conclusion of the meeting.

2: Monday begins our legislative work. The entire day of Monday, September
20, is devoted to legislative training if that is what you are interested
in.

But if you are looking for a job, there will be a job seekers seminar that
will run from 9:00 to noon, and at the same time  We will offer  a tour of
the Ohio State House as a part of our legislative work. Lunch is on your own
unless you are a part of the job seekers seminar, but once again, if you
need financial assistance please be sure to discuss the matter with me in
advance.

3: In the afternoon you can be sure that we will have inspirational and
motivational speakers. You will get training on how to work in the Ohio
General Assembly all year long. Monday evening will be our great Gathering
In. This will include a meal appropriate for the occasion. If for any reason
you have been unable to join us for the earlier activities we want you there
in time for the evening activities. Again we will do what we can to break
down financial barriers to participation. Those of you who have been a part
of the Washington Seminar understand the importance of participating in the
Great Gathering In. Although we want to be as inclusive as possible, you
should also understand that by the time Tuesday morning is here, we have to
be organized and ready to hit Capitol Square running. This means that all
the training has to take place the night before.

To register and if you need financial support, here is the link to the
online form to sign up for the Columbus seminar happening in September.

https://nfbohio.org/2021-columbus-seminar/

///

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO) 75th Annual Convention

Join us as we celebrate NFBO'S Annual Convention and expand our circle of
participation, connecting blind Americans from across the state for what we
expect to be the largest gathering of blind people in the history of Ohio.

"Back to the basics and engaging the future"

You Can Register Now at WWW.NFBOhio.ORG <http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG> !

Ohio's 75th State Convention, coined "Back to the basics" will be held
November 5th-6th-7th, 2021 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus -
Worthington located at 175 Hutchinson Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43235. The
telephone number for reservations is (614) 885-3334.

We will "shine bright like a diamond" because it is the 75th birthday of the
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio.

Therefore, we can assure you that this convention will be the largest
assemble of blind people in the state that will offer blind individuals an
opportunity to learn about accessible technology at our Tech Fair, and about
living with blindness, by attending many educational seminars.

Here are a few convention highlights:

. Network with blind people from all parts of the country.

. Encourage blind persons to expand their knowledge of resources.

. Attend Workshops designed to promote leadership, membership building, and
successful attitudes towards employment strategies.

. Attend Ohio's Black Tie Banquet that will provide scholarships to blind
college students. The cost of this spectacular event is $45.00.

. Visit the Exhibit Hall on November 6th to explore the latest technology
and low-vision products.

. Enter a drawing when you register online to win a free night at the
convention by donating ten dollars  or more to assist with the work of the
Ohio Affiliate.

Again, Registration is free and now open. Register at WWW.NFBOhio.ORG
<http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG> .

Note! Only registered attendees will be eligible for door prizes.

///

Legislative Announcement:

Announcement from Todd Elzey

Fellow Federationists:

Good afternoon! Our Parental Rights legislation is moving through the
legislative process. I am writing today to let you know about its progress
and to ask for your help in moving the legislation along even further.

This email is going to have quite a bit of information in it regarding both
our House and Senate bills. So I strongly recommend that you save this email
for later reference.

We have learned that HB 352 has been assigned to the Hous Civil Justice
Committee. This is a change from what we expected as based on previous
experience we anticipated that the bill would go through the House Health
Committee. However, we believe this change is good news for the bill as the
subject matter of HB 352 far better fits within the issues handled by the
House Civil Justice Committee than it does the subjects covered by the House
Health Committee.

So our first task is to get the House Civil Justice Committee to approve HB
352. To start, we are asking that you contact members of the House Civil
Justice Committee to ask them to both support the bill when it comes before
the Committee for a vote, and to support the Committee calling a hearing on
HB 352 as soon as possible. It is particularly beneficial if you live in a
member of the Committee's district that you reach out to their office.

Below is a listing of the Housse Civil Justice Committee along with their
contact information. In addition, we are pleased that several members of the
House Civil Justice Committee are cosponsors of HB 352. I have indicated
those members of the Committee who have cosponsored HB 352 so that we can
thank them for supporting the legislation when we contact them regarding
getting the bill heard by the Committee.

House Civil Justice Committee:

Chair, Brett Hudson Hillyer (R), District 98, Email: Rep 98 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:98 at ohiohouse.gov> ,

Phone: 614-466-8035

Vice Chair, Diane V. Grendell (R), District 76, Email: Rep76 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep76 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone 614-644-5088 Tavia Galonski (HB 352
Co-Sponsor) (D), District 35, Email:

Rep35 at ohiohouse.gov <mailto:Rep35 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone: 614-644-6037
Richard D. Brown (D), District 20, Email: Rep20 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep20 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-644-6002

Jeffrey A. Crossman (HB 352 Co-Sponsor) (D), District 15, Email:

Rep15 at ohouse.gov <mailto:Rep15 at ohouse.gov> , Phone: 614-466-3485

Al Cutrona (R), District 59, Email: Rep59 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep59 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone: 614-466-6107 Darrell Kick (R),
District 70, Email: Rep70 at ohiohouse.gov <mailto:Rep70 at ohiohouse.gov> ,
Phone:

614-466-2994

Brian E. Lampton (R), District 75, Email: Rep75 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep75 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-644-6020

David Leland (D), District 22, Email: Rep22 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep22 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-466-2473

Derek Merrin (R), District 47, Email: Rep47 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep47 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-466-1731

Bill Seitz (HB 352 Co-Sponsor) (R), District 30, Email: Rep30 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep30 at ohiohouse.gov> ,

Phone: 614-466-8258

Michael J. Skindell (D), District 13, Email: Rep13 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep13 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-466-5921

Brian Stewart (R), District 78, Email: Rep78 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep78 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-466-1464

D.J. Swearingen (R), District 89,Email: Rep89 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:Rep89 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:

614-644-6011

Andrea White (HB 352 Co-Sponsor) (R), District 41, Email:

Rep41 at ohiohouse.gov <mailto:Rep41 at ohiohouse.gov> , Phone:614-644-6008

In addition to contacting the members of the Committee, where are also
always still looking for more co-sponsors of HB 352. As of Friday, July 23,

2021 the following Representatives are cosponsoring HB 352:

Erica Crawley, Primary Sponsor

Sharon A. Ray, Primary Sponsor

Juanita O. Brent

Jeffrey A. Crossman

Sarah Fowler Arther

Tavia Galonski

Stephanie D. Howse

Catherine D. Ingram

Dontavius L. Jarrells

Marilyn S. John

Brigid Kelly

Mary Lightbody

P. Scott Lipps

Beth Liston

Adam C. Miller

Joseph A. Miller, III

Craig S. Riedel

Bill Seitz

Kent Smith

Casey Weinstein

Andrea White

If your Representative is not yet co-sponsoring HB 352, please contact their
office and ask that they co-sponsor the legislation. The more co-sponsors we
have the quicker we will get this bill to a vote on the House Floor and to
the Governor's desk.

Of course this Legislative session we have also introduced a companion
Senate Parental Rights Bill, SB 202. We have learned that SB 202 has been
assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. So to move this bill forward as
quickly as possible, we are asking that you contact the Senators on the
Senate Judiciary Committee to ask them to both support the bill when it
comes before the Committee for a vote, and to support the Committee calling
a hearing on SB 202 as soon as possible. It is particularly beneficial if
you live in a member of the Committee's district that you reach out to their
office. Below is a listing of the Senate Judiciary Committee along with
their contact information.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Chair, Nathan H. Manning (R), District 13, Email: manning at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:manning at ohiosenate.gov> ,

Phone: 614-644-7613

Vice-Chair Rob McColley (R), District 1, Email:  mccolley at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:mccolley at ohiosenate.gov> ,

Phone: 614-466-8150

Cecil Thomas (D), District 9, Email: thomas at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:thomas at ohiosenate.gov> , Phone:

614-466-5980

Niraj Antani (R), District 6, Email: antani at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:antani at ohiosenate.gov> , Phone:

614-466-4538

Teresa Fedor (D), District 11, Email: fedor at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:fedor at ohiosenate.gov> , Phone:

614-466-5204

Theresa Gavarone (R), District 2, Email: gavarone at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:gavarone at ohiosenate.gov> , Phone:

614-466-8060

Kirk Schuring (R), District 29, Email: schurring at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:schurring at ohiosenate.gov> , Phone:

614-466-0626

In addition, just like with HB 352, we are also looking for as many
co-sponsors for SB 202 as we can get. Having a high number of co-sponsors
will aid in getting this bill to the Senate Floor and ultimately the
Governor's desk quicker. Below is a list of the current SB 202 Co-Sponsors:

Bob Hacket, Primary Sponsor

Nickie Antonio, Primary Sponsor

Co-sponsors:

Andrew O. Brenner

Jerry C. Cirino

Hearcel Craig

Tina Maharath

Mark Romanchuk

Kenny Yuko

If your Senator is not yet on this list of Co-Sponsors please contact their
office to ask that they support and Co-Sponsor the bill.

Finally, the NFB of Ohio will be holding an Ohio Seminar Monday, September
20, 2021 and Tuesday, September 21, 2021. On Tuesday the 21st we will be
visiting as many Legislators as possible to seek their support for our
legislative agenda, including the Parental Rights legislation. To make this
even a success, we need as many of our members as possible to attend this
event. We are asking that everyone who will be attending let us know in
advance by completing the form located at:

https://nfbohio.org/2021-columbus-seminar/  Please note that this event is
so important, that the Affiliate will be offering financial assistance to
those members who require assistance to attend the event. So do not let
money keep you from attending to support our 2021 legislative proposals. If
you have any questions please see the information that is included at the
form located at:  https://nfbohio.org/2021-columbus-seminar/

The Legislative Committee thanks you for your help in this important work.

Again, we recommend that you save this email because of the vital
information that is in it. Please feel free to reach out to Committee Chair
Eric Duffy at peduffy63 at gmail.com <mailto:peduffy63 at gmail.com>  or myself at
toddelzey at gmail.com <mailto:toddelzey at gmail.com>  if you have any questions
regarding this information.

///

Online Support Group for Blind and Visually Impaired  Parents

August 2021 Meeting

Saturday, August 21, 2021

7pm - 8:30pm EST

Zoom Information below

 Monthly Meetings:3rd Saturdays of the month from 7pm to 8:30pm EST

Open to all blind and Visually Impaired parents and enthusiasts!!!

Guest Speaker: LisaMaria Martinez, Chair of the National Blind Parents Group

Hosted by the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

For more information, please contact:

Stacie Leap, Chair, Blind Parents Group of the NFB of PA

stacie.leap at gmail.com <mailto:stacie.leap at gmail.com>

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/92797371396

Meeting ID: 927 9737 1396

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,92797371396# US (Washington DC)

+13126266799,,92797371396# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 927 9737 1396

///

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Suzanne Turner, Ohio Affiliate Vice President

Cleveland Chapter, President

(216) 990-6199

Please click on the links below to learn more about the organization

The Ohio Affiliate

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8

"Live the life you want" featuring, National President, Mark Riccobono

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share

Visit and take a moment to like our Facebook Page!

<https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/>
https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/

blindness is not what holds you back.