[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Updates and Announcements

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:30:29 UTC 2021

Cleveland Members,

I hope you are keeping warm in this frigid weather.

On this Friday, February 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM, we will hold our monthly
annual Chapter meeting on the Ohio Zoom Platform. The link is at the end of
this email.

We have several great speakers who will provide there exciting activities.
So, you do not want to miss this meeting.

As a reminder, dues are due. Please send them to Natassha Ricks at 6980 Ladd
Lane, Maple Heights, Ohio 44137. Please call her to inform her that they are
on the way at 216-376-9863.

Below are several announcements for your participation during this month of
February. Read them all. You are going to want to be a part of them all!

///

Announcement from Denice Brown, Pennsylvania Affiliate

The Women's subgroup of Black Leaders Serving for Advancement would like to
invite you to a panel discussion celebrating Black women who are blind
entrepreneur/Business owners.

This event is open to everyone.

 <x-apple-data-detectors://5> Feb 15, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time

Join:

 <https://zoom.us/j/95547767216> https://zoom.us/j/95547767216

Meeting ID: 955 4776 7216

One tap mobile

 <tel:+13126266799,,95547767216%23> +13126266799,,95547767216# US (Chicago)
<tel:16468769923,,95547767216%23> 16468769923,,95547767216# US

Call:

 <tel:+1%20669%20900%206833> +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 955 4776 7216

///

Announcement from Annette Lutz, Ohio Capitol Chapter, President ,

Good morning,

I hope that everybody is staying warm and cozy in their homes during this
very snowy morning. I think it is going to be pretty cold and blustery all
week, so, it will be a very good time to tune in to our capital chapter
radio show. The show will be at 11o'clock on Wednesday morning. You can
listen to the show by going to voicecorps.com or by enabling the voicecorps
skill on any Alexa device.

///

Announcement from Daphne Mitchell, Survivor Taskforce

Good morning:

Content warning: For general mention of survivor/victims of various types of
assault or misconduct.

Marci Carpenter and I are the Co-chairs of the Communications and Engagement
Branch on the Survivor-led Taskforce. We have been added to this listserv to
assure that Chapter Presidents are receiving information about the work of
the Survivor Taskforce, and that you could in turn distribute announcements
to your members, if desired. We are using multiple channels to make every
effort to provide details about activities being sponsored by the taskforce
and a high level of transparency.

Please engage with us using our Taskforce email address:

survivors at nfb.org <mailto:survivors at nfb.org>  or by calling our voice mail
at: (410) 659-9314 ext.

2238. Information shared using either method is kept confidential within the
Survivor Taskforce and only acted upon with external resources with the
individual's consent. You may visit the Survivor Taskforce web page at any
time to read updates by browsing to:

www.nfb.org/survivors <http://www.nfb.org/survivors> .

We have established three branches to achieve the mission of the
Survivor-led Taskforce: Communications and Engagement, Procedures and
Oversight, and Training and Culture. Introductory meetings for each branch
are taking place soon. Please find Zoom registration links for each branch
below:

Communications and engagement (meeting on February 13 at 4pm eastern)

Co-chairs: Daphne Mitchell and Marci Carpenter
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcvd-ytrTouHdLyRPtcPKmBGaCegf9FWKAU

Procedures and oversight (meeting on February 15 at 8pm eastern)

Co-chairs: Briley O'Connor and Cheryl Fields
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErcOmoqDMsGtxJNsw1r_3JPrFkt0bXfJJH

Training and Culture meeting (every other Sunday at 3pm eastern)

Co-chairs: Sarah Meyer and Kathryn Webster
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUqf-urrDstGdd_6pfg_vhK7leydUVtuLYu

We will periodically send updates to this listserv, and look forward to
working with those who have an interest in helping with bringing a culture
change to our organization!

Warmest regards,

Daphne Mitchell and Marci Carpenter

VM: (410) 659-9314

Email: survivors at nfb.org <mailto:survivors at nfb.org>

Web page: www.nfb.org/survivors <http://www.nfb.org/survivors>

///

Announcement from Suzanne Turner Mentoring and Outreach Workgroup, Chair

The Mentoring and Outreach Workgroup, which is a subgroup under the Black
Leaders Serving for Advancement (BLSA) Committee

Celebrating Black History Month

A Seminar on Public Speaking and Networking

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

7:00 PM EST.

6:00 PM CST.

5:00 PM MST.

4:00 PM PST.

The Mentoring and Outreach Workgroup is inviting all to participate in an
opportunity to learn from three distinguished scholars highlighting personal
growth and empowerment through communication, networking and developing a
personal brand.

EDWARD BELL, Ph.D. director of the Professional Development and Research
Institute on Blindness at Louisiana Tech University, Raymond Montgomery,
Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from Purdue University-Calumet and
our own  Shawn Callaway, master's in social work from Catholic University of
America will discuss the importance of how effective communication and
direct connections can inspire, influence, and persuade while advocating,
holding meetings, community events and during media interviews. Also, these
gentlemen will elaborate on the best practices on successful Networking that
is equally powerful, which can assist with achieving goals, enhancing
talents, building skills, and developing professional relationships.

You do not want to miss this rare opportunity to tap into the knowledge of
these experts!

Note! All Are Invited To Attend! You do not have to be a member to
participate, learn and gain knowledge.

Join meeting:

< <https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851>
<https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851 < <
<https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851>
<https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851#

+1 646 876 9923

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

///

Announcement from Barbara Pierce, Ohio Senior Division, President

Next Sunday at 7:00 p.m. is the Sharing Solutions meeting on our conference
line. Cheryl Fields will host the gathering. We will be discussing
strategies for volunteering in the community. Sometimes blind people find
difficulties in volunteering. It is especially hard during a pandemic when
we are not getting together. We will share strategies  we have found
effective and address overcoming people's hesitation to let us help. The
contact information is phone number 712-775-7031, access code 240281423
pound. I will send a reminder on Saturday, but spread the word.

Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 7:00 Eastern

///

Hello Federationists!!

Are you ready for the first convention of 2021? We sure hope so. The NFB of
Massachusetts convention will take place virtually anywhere and everywhere
beginning on Thursday, February 18 through Sunday February 21, 2021.

  You will be able to get relevant information at www.NFBMA.org
<http://www.NFBMA.org>  <http://www.NFBMA.org>  and on the Massachusetts
Newsline channel.

Registration is open, it is free!

The link to register is https://nfbma.org/state-convention/registration

We are delighted to announce that our National Representative is Shawn
Callaway.  This is especially perfect for our theme of "Building Bridges in
diversity and inclusion. " After all, he is the co-chair of the national
Committee on diversity and inclusion.

The weekend is jam packed full of activities, meaningful break-out sessions,

valuable information    and fun! We will have sessions regarding how to

dress for success, how to write affective and moving resolutions,
interviewing tips, a presentation about and for seniors, how to parent as a
blind person or best practices in parenting a blind child. We will also have
an open mike night, lots of door prizes, and a great banquet speech by our
national rep and so, so much more!

We hope you will join us for this first convention of the New Year! If you
have any questions, please contact me at sharawinton at gmail.com
<mailto:sharawinton at gmail.com>  <mailto:sharawinton at gmail.com>  or by
calling 617-819-4632.

///

The Black Elected Leaders Working Group under the Black Leaders Serving for
Advancement (BLSA) Committee cordially invites you to a celebration of Black
History Month as we celebrate black leaders in the National Federation of
the Blind.
Come hear from distinguished and respected Black leaders on the
characteristics of a good leader and how they became leaders and sustained
leadership in the National Federation of the Blind.
When: February 27, 2021
1 PM EST
12:00 PM CST
11:00 AM MST
10:00 AM PST
Ron Brown and Shawn Calloway are distinguished Black leaders in the National
Federation of the Blind and they are well-respected across the Federation.
Ron Brown is the 2d Vice President of the Board of Directors of the National
Federation of the Blind and has been the NFB of Indiana's President for over
30 years. Shawn Calloway serves on the Board of Directors of the National
Federation of the Blind and has been the President of the NFB of the
District of Columbia for over 10 years and serves as the co-chair of the
Diversity and Inclusion Committee and the chair of the Black Leaders Serving
for Advancement.
These leaders will discuss
1.       What are the Characteristics of a leader
. 2. what does it take to become a leader in the National Federation of the
Blind and sustain leadership over a number of years?
3. Have they  had to navigate the issue of race in their respective
positions in the NFB?
4. What lessons does each one of them take from Black leaders like John
Lewis, Martin Luther King, JR, and countless other Black  leaders as they
work in our organization to improve the lives of blind people?
Join:

https://zoom.us/j/97730665309
 Meeting ID: 977 3066 5309
One tap mobile

+13017158592,,97730665309# US (Washington DC) 16468769923,,97730665309#
+US (New York)

Dial: 669-900-6833

Id: 977 3066 5309

///

The National Federation of the Blind of SC would like to invite you to the
below events being held this week on the Zoom platform. All are welcome and
we look forward to you joining us!

Note: All times are eastern!

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Get Fit with Sports and Rec 5:30 p.m.

Diabetes Action Network Committee Meeting 7:00 PM

              Thursday, February 18, 2021

Black history tribute 5:00 p.m.

             Thursday, February 18, 2021

Black history tribute 5:00 p.m.

Palmetto Connects 6:00 p.m.

Friday, February 19, 2021

Trivia Night 8:00 PM

Please send a message to Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com
<mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  in order to set up different teams in advance!

            Saturday, February 20, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 8:00 AM

Federation Center

 <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

///

Cleveland Chapter Members, here is the zoom link and call-in number for the
meeting on Friday.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/4081850851 <https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851#