[NFBOH-Cleveland] Here is what was submitted to have the Presidential Release in Cleveland Ohio

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:22:53 UTC 2022

Cleveland Chapter President, Suzanne Turner

1064 E 167th Street,

Cleveland, Ohio 44110

(216) 990-6199

 <mailto:SMTurner.234 at gmail.com> SMTurner.234 at gmail.com

August 26, 2022

Dear President Riccobono,

The Cleveland Chapter would be honored if you would broadcast the October
Presidential Release in Cleveland Ohio. We have organized an agenda that we
hope will inspire you and your team to spend the day with members in Ohio on
October 3 or 4, 2022. What a great opportunity for the Cleveland Chapter to
offer such a valuable occasion for the blind to spend time with the leader
of the largest organization of the blind to discuss pertinent barriers in
Cleveland Ohio.

President Riccobono, Cleveland has a great populace of seniors and adults
losing their vision with little hope for becoming productive and gaining
their independence. Cleveland receives a number of calls per week from
people feeling depressed, distraught, and deserted. These three D'S must be
eliminated. Therefore, Cleveland has taken the initiative in presenting
training for the newly blind that offers an introductory seminar
highlighting best practices by Peer Mentors from Cleveland. We introduce the
philosophy of the NFB along with explaining the value of the alternative
techniques of blindness and offering the solid belief that it is respectable
to be blind. Adopting the principle that, if the professionals won't teach
people what they need to know, we will teach them ourselves Is what has been
poured into our hearts and souls. These individuals are crying out for help
on how to cope with blindness.

Additionally, employment is another barrier in Cleveland and throughout
Ohio. In Cleveland alone, City Hall, one of the largest employers along with
the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, has web applications that are inaccessible.
Both are known for not hiring or making any improvements with their hiring
practices, websites, and civil service exams compliant for the blind.
Moreover, rehabilitation counselors discourage blind job seekers from
applying for positions  at the Cleveland Clinic, which is unfair to these
consumers.

So we are in need of your support, expertise, and leadership about how we as
the National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland can improve strategies in
our fight against these powerhouses. We have made numerous attempts to gain
meetings with both Mayor Justin Bibb's and District 11 Congresswoman Brown's
staffs on several concerns such as the TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY WEBSITES AND
APPLICATIONS bill, various accessibility acts, and pedestrian safety and
E-bike and dockless electric scooter regulations, even after meeting with
City Hall after a member fell over an E-bike three times in two weeks. We
are still in conversation with the Planning Department on how to impose a
penalty or sanction on vendors and riders who leave these vehicles in the
way of pedestrians.

Finally, because Cleveland does not have a large venue to host a National
Convention, having you and your team grace Cleveland with your presence will
be a mini-convention that would leave a positive and lasting impression, not
only on our members, but on the city of Cleveland and our partners. Our NFB
family in Cleveland, we here in Ohio are committed to the mission and
purpose of the Federation, and we have pledged actively to participate
upholding the philosophy of the organization. Thus, raising the expectations
of blind people by writing this letter inviting you to come to Cleveland has
provided my members with enthusiasm, hope, and determination that I have
never seen them display before. Just being in the room with the National
President in their home city is an opportunity that they dream may come to
reality now.

As I said earlier, the Cleveland Chapter has organized an agenda that we
hope will gain your attention and grant us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
We do know that you live in the home of the NFL Ravens, but coming into the
NFL Browns' home just might persuade you to take in a game. Do not worry==we
won't tell!

Also, if Pam can just click her heels, magically she can return home to
Ohio, where we have been awaiting her return. We can not wait to see the
First Vice President in Ohio once again.

The Agenda is as follows:

On October 4, the day would begin by having breakfast at the Doubletree
Hotel with the Ohio Affiliate Board of Directors at 9:00 AM. The. The
location is 1111 Lakeside East, Cleveland Ohio 44114. The hotel has provided
a discounted room rate of $159.00 per night for you and your team.

At 10:30 AM or so, Cleveland will arrange to meet with Cleveland City Hall
Planning Commission's Calley Mersman, who is the Bicycle and Pedestrian
Coordinator. Calley has been very supportive and is interested in writing a
city ordinance on pedestrian safety and learning more about web
accessibility.

At noon Cleveland would like to invite President Riccobono and his team to a
lunch meet-and-greet reception with the Cleveland Chapter membership.

At 2:00 PM or so, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will provide around 15
Federationists a tour. Of course, we can not let you leave Cleveland without
touring one of our partners.

At 5:00 PM: A plated banquet will be provided before the Presidential
Release in the Doubletree Ball Room. Members and guests will all gather to
dine together. The Cleveland Chapter will be honored to purchase dinner for
the President and the First Vice President.

At 6:30 PM Channel TV20 Cleveland will meet with President Riccobono and his
team along with the Cleveland Chapter President to discuss the live
broadcast of the Presidential Release. It will be shown across Northeast
Ohio live on the network and along their Facebook platform. The News
Producer for TV Cleveland and his team will confer on the arrangements prior
to the live broadcast. Everyone across the country will be able to witness
the Presidential Release and the importance of Blind Equality Achievement
Month. But, most important, the citizens in Cleveland will witness what the
National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland has been fighting for live and
in color from the National Office.

At 9:00 PM We will adjourn.

Finally, click on the video below that was created by TV20 Cleveland in
2018.

The Cleveland Chapter is grateful to have an opportunity to be considered
for hosting President Riccobono broadcasting the October Presidential
Release. If there are any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please reach
out to Suzanne Turner, Cleveland's President.

Thank you for creating this momentous occasion for a lucky local NFB
chapter.

The Cleveland Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

The Ohio Affiliate

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8