[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Updates

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 21:08:03 UTC 2022

Good Sunday Evening Cleveland,

On this coming Friday, March 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM, we will hole our annual
monthly meeting on Zoom. The link and call in numbers are below!

Please keep Denise Moss in your prayers and good thought; as she has loss
her nephew and his home going is tomorrow, Monday, March 14, 2022.

Just a few announcements:

First, Please send in your dues if you have not done so. Natassha Ricks is
awaiting them. Her address is 6980 Ladd Lane, Maple Heights, Ohio 44137.
Please give her a call to let her know that they are on the way. Call
216-376-9863.

We will conduct the new members seromony  for Lisa Bostic, Dawn Smosny  and
Nathaniel Algee during the meeting; as they are new members of Cleveland.

Also, The 2022 State of Ohio Convention Assistance application is still
open. If you are needing financial assistance, please complete the form and
send it to me. I will write a letter of recommendation and get it to our
Ohio Affiliate President, Richard Payne.

The National Convention registration is now open. Please pre-register by
going to NFV.ORG. The fee is $25.00. The banquet is 70.00. You will pay more
onsite in New Orleans. Finally, if you are a new convention attendee, you
can apply for the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship. The application is online
there as well.

As many of you know, the Cleveland Chapter is conducting four fundraisers to
assist newly blind individuals, help members get to the national convention
and raise funds for our treasurer. So, our first fundraiser has closed.
Cheryl Fields conducted that fundraiser and it was fun and tasty as well. We
were able to purchase good and easy to prepare dishes, seasonings and more.

Our next fundraiser will take place  on Thursday, April 7, 2022 . We will
dine to donate with  Outback Steak House Restaurant. When Diners come to
eat, and either mention our Chapter's Name or submit a flyer at the
restaurant, we will receive a donation. The Outback Steak House will provide
flyers and also advertise for us. Please spread the word to family, friends
and others to come and dine with us. The location is 6100 Rockside Place,
Independence Ohio. Cleveland members, I would ask for you to be present in
two time slots. We need to greet those who will donate to our membership.
Some could go at lunch time and others at dinner time. We will talk more
about this at the meeting on Friday.

The next event is the drawing led by Wilbert Turner. And parallel to that is
Cleveland's Golf Event. Delcenia Brown is at the helm. The two of them will
provide updates and more instructions for us on Friday as well.

Here is a message from our Ohio Treasurer, Tod Elzey.

Good afternoon!

If you did not send emails last week calling on Representative Brinkman to
schedule a second hearing on H.B. 448, Accessible Prescription Bill, please
do so by tomorrow morning. If you have already sent an email, there is no
need to send a second one.  But if you haven't sent one yet, we need you to
do so because we need to remind Chairman Brinkman of the importance of
keeping H.B. 448 moving so that it can pass the legislature this year. As
Mr. Duffy stated, Chairman Brinkman can be emailed at rep27 at ohiohouse.gov
<mailto:rep27 at ohiohouse.gov> . Let's flood his email with calls to hold the
second hearing so that he schedules H.B. 448 for the next House Insurance
Committee meeting. Please tell him how important it is for the blind to have
a way to be safe when printed labels, instructions and dosages are not in an
alternative format for the blind.

Another Announcement from Todd Elzey.

Good afternoon again. I am writing with a slight correction regarding the
Piggest Raffle Dates.  The drawing is actually Sunday, May 1, 2022, and
online ticket sales will actually run through Saturday, April 30, 2022. But
let's not wait until that last day to make purchases. Go to
<http://piggestraffleever.com/> http://piggestraffleever.com/ to buy your
Piggest Raffle tickets as soon as you can. And of course, feel free to buy
tickets multiple times if that works out for your budget. And remember, when
you buy tickets, make sure to select the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio as the organization you are supporting.

Todd Elzey, Chairman

NFB of Ohio Fundraising Committee

 <mailto:toddelzey at gmail.com> toddelzey at gmail.com

 Here is an announcement from Dr. Carolyn Peters, who is the Chair for the
Ohio Membership Committee.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Membership Committee invites
all affiliate board members, chapter presidents, chapter board members, and
each member of the Ohio affiliate to an essential presentation on the
importance of growing our membership, and sharing innovative ideas in
building the federation.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

7PM EDT

NFB Ohio Zoom

Live Caption Included

Keynote speaker:

Denise Avant, National Board Member, NFB Illinois First Vice President, &
Co-chair of the National Membership Committee

Presentation from committee members:

Dr. Carolyn Peters, Chair of NFB Ohio Membership Committee, David Perry,
Cincinnati Chapter Patricia McPherson, Akron Chapter William Turner,
Cleveland Chapter

Maggie Stringer, Capital Chapter

The Membership Committee believes that an affiliate that works together,
builds greatness together. We encourage all of our Ohio members to take part
in this vital event.

Announcement from Suzanne Turner inviting you to a National Event:

National Federation of the Blind,

Mentoring And Outreach Workgroup, Under Black Leaders Serving For
Advancement

Introduce: Black Women Linking Opportunity And Potential In The Community

Come and celebrate the numerous contributions of Black Women who are blind
or have a strong blind mother who has left an indelible influence on their
lives.

This informational seminar is inclusive, intergraded and will be quite
edifying. These women are future focused, have a Memorable reputation and
get results. Female maybe their trait, but their emphasis is removing
barriers.