[NFBOH-Cleveland] All stories that I shared were from a KERNEL BOOK published by NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND called, The Freedom Bell! Take a peek!

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 23:24:42 UTC 2022

All stories that I shared were from a KERNEL BOOK published by NATIONAL
FEDERATION OF THE BLIND called, The Freedom Bell

The Freedom Bell Cover

Kenneth Jernigan, Editor

Table of Contents

Editor's Introduction

Competing on Terms of Equality

by Kenneth Jernigan

The Birthday Party

by Lauren L. Eckery

The Freedom Bell

by Joanne Wilson

Being Blind ( My true story)

by Sindy Greenwell

I Was a Young Mother Being Stifled by Blindness

by Barbara Pierce

My Journey Into Blindness

by Claire McCuller

On Emptying Wastebaskets

by Catherine Horn Randall

A Woman On Horseback

by Diane Starin

Is There Shame?

by Jan Kafton

I Want That

by Peggy Pinder

Confessions of a Scholarship Winner

by Jennifer Lehman

Hamburgers and the Practice of Law

by Marc Maurer

----

Large Type Edition

A KERNEL BOOK published by NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

Copyright C 1992 by the National Federation of the Blind

ISBN 0-9624122-3-6

All Rights Reserved

Printed in the United States of America

EDITOR'S INTRODUCTION

by Kenneth Jernigan

This is the second of the Kernel Books. In introducing it I can do no better
than repeat some of the things I said last year when we issued What Color

is the Sun, the first of the series.

For at least twenty years I have been appearing on radio and television and
in the newspapers as the spokesman of the National Federation of the Blind,

and lately something has been happening with increasing frequency, something
which I probably should have anticipated but didn't. Total strangers keep

stopping me on the street or in the supermarket or airport to ask me about
blindness. Well, not exactly about blindness as such, but about what it's
like

to be blind-about the everyday experiences and the ordinary happenings in
the lives of blind people. I do the best I can to tell them, but usually
neither

they nor I have the time for me really to do it right. This book is an
attempt to remedy that situation. Even so, I still don't know that I have
done it

right, but at least it is better than a hurried attempt in a supermarket.

The persons who appear in the pages of the book are people that I know
friends, former students, colleagues in the National Federation of the
Blind. Mostly

they tell their own stories stories of ordinary men and women, who think
about last night's dinner, today's taxes, and tomorrow's hopes and dreams.
These

are people I think you would like to know, so I am introducing them to you.
And I am also telling you a little about myself. When you have finished
reading

these personal accounts and reminiscences I hope you will have a better
picture of what it is like to be blind and how blind people feel. Mostly we
feel

just about the same way you do.

Kenneth Jernigan

Baltimore, Maryland

1992

WHY LARGE TYPE

The type size used in this book is 14 Point for two important reasons: One,
because typesetting of 14 Point or larger complies with federal standards
for

the printing of materials for visually impaired readers, and we wanted to
show you exactly what type size is necessary for people with limited sight.

The second reason is because many of our friends and supporters have asked
us to print our paperback books in 14 Point type so they too can easily read

them. Many people with limited sight do not use Braille. We hope that by
printing this book in a larger type than customary, many more people will be
able

to enjoy these heartwarming and inspirational stories.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Suzanne Turner, Ohio Affiliate Vice President

Cleveland Chapter, President

(216) 990-6199

Please click on the links below to learn more about the organization

The Ohio Affiliate

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8

"Live the life you want" featuring, National President, Mark Riccobono

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share

Visit and take a moment to like our Facebook Page!

<https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/>
https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/

blindness is not what holds you back.