[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Updates

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 18:19:09 UTC 2023

Cleveland Members,

For the last few days the weather has been quite nice, but on last night
winter returned. As I understand, the ground hog saw his shadow and we have
more winter to come.

Please keep Wilbert Turner in your prayers as he has surgery next week.

Congradulations to Gloria Conway, who completed the National Senior Retreet.
As I understand it was quite informational.

Cleveland, our monthly Chapter meeting will be held at the Buffelo Wild
Wings on Friday, February 17, 2023, from 5:30 to 8:00. The address is 12459
Cedar Road. Please share with members who do not have email or text. Also,
we can not accommodate guests unless they are joining the Chapter. If
someone is coming who is not wanting to join, they can sit in the restaurant
until the meeting has concluded.

Once again, I am providing an opportunity for those who have not paid dues
to bring them to the meeting or pay them no later than February 28th. After
that, we will no longer accept them. You can mail them as well to our
treasurer, Natassha Ricks, 3690 Ladd Lane, Maple Heights, Ohio 44137. Please
alert her that they are on the way at 216-376-9863.

On tomorrow, Super Bowl Day, I will be in the Ohio Zoom Room at 4:00 PM to
assist those who want to apply for the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship and the
Ohio National Convention Assistance Application. The link to join is below.

Members and Friends, You are cordially invited to participate with an open
discussion with OOD. Bring your questions and prepare to here from Director,
Kevin Miller and his staff. This meeting is Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at
4:00 PM EST. in the Ohio Zoom Room. The link is below. You can call or
connect to:

the Ohio Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee will present its black
history program, celebrating Black History Month. this annual observance in
the USA began as a way to remember important people and events in the
African  Diaspora. We have the distinct pleasure of  acknowledging four
African-American blind males in Ohio, who have chosen to give and be of
service as leaders in the National Federation of the Blind.

We will honor them virtually on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, from 7 PM
until 8:30 PM. Join us in celebrating these awesome men who will tell their
inspiring stories that will surely impact our future leaders. They are, the
honorable Richard Payne, Ohio Affiliate President, William Turner, Vice
President of the Cleveland Chapter, Masquenada Douglas, Vice President of
the Greater Akron Chapter, and Walter Mitchell, President of the Ohio
Diabetic Action Network Division. This event will be in the Ohio Zoom Room.

NOBBL, Mentoring and Outreach Working Group And the National Federation of
the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter Sit down with the Honorable Peter
Lawson Jones for a conversation on advocacy, public speaking and his acting
career. Peter Lawson Jones is an attorney, business consultant, professional
actor and master of ceremonies, dramatist and former elected official. From
February 2002, through December 2010, Jones, a graduate of Harvard College
(magna cum laude in Government) and Harvard Law School, was a member of the
Board of Cuyahoga County Commissioners, and its president for three of those
years. He previously served two and one-half terms in the Ohio House of
Representatives, where he was the ranking member of the House Finance and
Appropriations Committee and second vice president of the Ohio Legislative
Black Caucus.  Jones was formerly the Vice Mayor and a Councilman in the
City of Shaker Heights, Ohio. Jones, a member of SAG-AFTRA and Actor's
Equity as well as an acting instructor, has appeared in well over twenty
films (in theaters now, A Man Called Otto, White Boy Rick, Alex Cross, The
Assassin's Code, Starve), on network television (NBC's Chicago Fire and
ABC's Detroit 1-8-7), on stages throughout Northeast Ohio.  He received the
2016 Indie Gathering International Film Festival Best Ohio Supporting Actor
Award for his work in How to Change the World. Jones's drama, The Family
Line, has been successfully produced at Karamu House, Harvard University and
Ohio University.  His second play, The Bloodless Jungle, has enjoyed two
full productions at Ensemble Theatre in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.  Land of
Cleve, an arts and culture blog, ranked the second production as one of the
best in Northeast Ohio in 2017.  The play has enjoyed staged readings at the
Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the Dallas Convention Center, the
National Black Theatre Festival, Duquesne University and in Harlem.  His
most recent work, The Phoenix Society, enjoyed a successful premiere at
Playwrights Local in Cleveland earlier this year.  The drama was
commissioned by the Life Exchange Center, a Cleveland nonprofit that assists
those in recovery from mental health and substance abuse challenges. Jones
and his spouse Lisa are the proud parents of three children: Ryan Charles,
Leah Danielle and Evan Cooke. This will be int the Ohio Zoom Room.

CLEVELAND Rocks with TastefullySimple!

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Cleveland Chapter is hosting a
TastefullySimple fundraiser!

February 1st to February 28th!

*	Throw an incredible touchdown for your 2022 Superbowl party with
savory and easy to make appetizers!

Bake a beautifully rich and moist, two-ingredient sweet treat for those
special loved ones this Valentine's day!

*	Shoot a Lebron style three pointer with flavorful and simply
delicious meal kits for the 2022 NBA All-Star game!

We've got delicious yet simplistic products for every occasion!  Natassha
Ricks is our host. This fundraiser is to support our 2023 Cleveland Retreet.
Please share and share!

And now it's time to click on our party link:

Click or copy on our party link today!

https://www.tastefullysimple.com/p/11472736

For more information, contact Natassha Ricks at: n.lichells at gmail.com
<mailto:n.lichells at gmail.com>  Or

Cleveland, as you are aware, the Ohio Affiliate has been gracious to provide
funding to various event, such as the State and National Conventions. Now it
is time to give back into the Ohio treasury. Therefore, please share and
highly consider purchasing a Pig. National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
Presents: An opportunity to raise funds and win a cash prize. Just click on:

https://piggestraffleever.com/.

And choose, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio as your charity.

You could be a winner by going online to purchase tickets !

Where you as? The Piggest Raffle Ever: Brought to you by Stock Yards Bank

How's it Work? Easy! Purchase a Raffle Entry for $5 each on behalf of the
NFBOH from the drop-down menu. For each Pig purchased, you have a chance to
win on Flying Pig Marathon Weekend, and will receive 100% of your donation!

GRAND PRIZE: $10,000 Cash*

($5,000 to the charity and $5,000 to the winning ticket holder)

SECOND PRIZE: $5,000 Cash*

($2,500 to the charity and $2,500 to the winning ticket holder

THIRD PRIZE: Cincinnati Get-Away Experience

($1,500 in Downtown Cincinnati, Inc.

Raffle Details: On MAY 7, 2023 during THE FLYING PIG MARATHON Weekend
("Event") a lucky winner will be drawn. You do not need to be present.

All winners will be notified via email or phone and a list of winners will
be viewable at http://piggestraffleever.com and
<http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com> www.flyingpigmarathon.com,

NLS has developed a BARD skill that can be used on the Amazon and Google
Smart Speakers. We are currently seeking interested BARD patrons to assist
in beta testing the skill. In order to participate, you must meet the
following criteria:

* You must own either a Google or Amazon smart speaker; (NLS cannot provide
the device)

* You must be an active patron of NLS; ( if you want to participate and are
not an active patron or do not have a BARD account, please contact your
local network library)

* You must agree to access the skill at least 3 times per week; (this might
include checking the recently added books, looking for a specific title,
reading a book, accessing and manipulating your wish list, ETC.)

For this round of testing, we are seeking five  to six hundred users. If you
are interested in participating, please send an email with the following
information to  <mailto:NLSPES at loc.gov> NLSPES at loc.gov or to dolson at loc.gov
<mailto:dolson at loc.gov> :

* Name:

*  Current BARD email address:

* type of smart speaker that you own:

* Telephone number for receiving confirmation phone calls or text messages:

* Agree to be on a discussion listserv for the NLS Smart Speaker Beta.

If you are already part of the smart speaker beta, you do not have to sign
up again. As long as you are actively using the system, you will remain part
of the smart speaker beta.

Thank you,