[NFBOH-Cleveland] [Chapter-Presidents] Fwd: Health Equity Dialogues

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:39:17 UTC 2023

From: Chapter-Presidents <chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Amy Eidenmiller via Chapter-Presidents
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2023 9:47 PM
To: NFB Chapter Presidents discussion list <chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Amy Eidenmiller <amy.eidenmiller at gmail.com>
Subject: [Chapter-Presidents] Fwd: Health Equity Dialogues

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Amy Eidenmiller <amy.eidenmiller at gmail.com <mailto:amy.eidenmiller at gmail.com> >
Date: Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 8:46 PM
Subject: Fwd: Health Equity Dialogues
To: NFB of Nebraska Lincoln Chapter List <nfbnlc at nfbnet.org <mailto:nfbnlc at nfbnet.org> >

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Barbara Loos <beloos50 at gmail.com <mailto:beloos50 at gmail.com> >
Date: Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 1:39 PM
Subject: RE: Health Equity Dialogues
To: <jamie.richey16 at gmail.com <mailto:jamie.richey16 at gmail.com> >, <amy.eidenmiller at gmail.com <mailto:amy.eidenmiller at gmail.com> >

Good afternoon, President Richey and President Eidenmiller:

Pasted below and attached is a potential blurb to send to our lists and post to wherever about the event on October 19. Please let me know if it is too long or needs tweaking. I want us to get the word out and the two of you have access to presidents lists and social media. It is on Zoom, so people don’t need to be from here to attend.

Sincerely,

Barbara

Hello, everyone. This is Barbara Loos. I want to invite you to join me for an opportunity to have influence. I have agreed to begin a dialogue during this discussion as part of Blind Equality Awareness Month and hope you will be there either to participate or to listen.

On Thursday, October 19, from 1:00 to 2:30, there will be a presentation of Health Equity Dialogues on Zoom. The topic is Health Access Through the Eyes of the Blind. The way to attend is at the bottom of this message.

As some of you know, I have been exchanging ideas with those in the Health Equity Coalition both at monthly meetings and in other spaces since during the pandemic. Here is what it says about itself and the opportunity before us this month. It also mentions the November topic.

Health Equity Dialogues are brought to you by the Lincoln Health Equity Coalition. We exist to promote an infrastructure where every person experiences a healthy, high quality life without discrimination. We champion a whole-health model that is inclusive, accessible, affordable, and acceptable across the lifespan. We believe there are enough resources for all to be healthy and live a high quality of life. We believe it takes us all to make an impact and that all voices matter. We believe in creating collective action where we can make possible the notion of ‘nothing for us, without us’.

The purpose of Health Equity Dialogues is to create a safe, generative space for sharing, listening and connecting around the commonality of health inequity experiences.

The purpose of the dialogues is to create authentic relationships and spaces of healing within a community that cares, empathizes and relates to each other. The structure of the Health Equity Dialogues revolves around one main story-teller who will share a health equity experience prior to open dialogue for people to connect, empathize, share relatable experiences, along with movement towards healing, solutions, and change.

Stories give us a sense of belonging, of being wanted and needed and heard. Stories connect us. Stories of lived experiences can also provide counter-narratives to the majority culture - to the systems and structures that are sometimes just considered ‘givens’ or ‘normal’ or even ‘unchangeable’.

Anyone willing to enter the virtual space with curiosity, openness, and empathy ready to listen and contribute will be welcomed.

Upcoming Health Equity Dialogues:

October 19th: Dialogues around Health access through the eyes of a blind woman

November 16th: Dialogues around Healthcare experiences for under/uninsured

Connection details:

Thursdays, 1:00 - 2:30pm via zoom

Zoom Link: https://go.unl.edu/kd3z

Meeting ID: 991 0209 0102