[NFBOH-Cleveland] Who is the Cleveland Chapter?

smturner.234 at gmail.com smturner.234 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:02:48 UTC 2024

Who is the Cleveland Chapter?

By Suzanne Turner, NFB of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter, President

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter is a
connected pillar in Cleveland and the surrounding areas that offer support,
advocacy, and community linkage. One aspect of Our strength relies in our
diversity and inclusion. We represent those whom we serve. We are a group of
individuals that work together well; exercising emotional intelligence and
yet not afraid to take initiatives to make a significant impact. These
members have equally grown in their leadership abilities. Thus, creating
educational seminars to enhance the lives of the blind, assisting with
sharing tips and techniques on living productively, and increasing the
overall morale within our immediate environment. But what has made the
Chapter stronger is the family dynamic that grew during the pandemic. The
Chapter has experienced difficulties and heartbreak through the lens of
several Cleveland member families. Therefore, empathy is key and is at the
forefront. So, as we pressed forward toward the end of 2023, our family has
become closer, firm, and unquestionable. We are there for one another, be it
ordering food, assisting with paperwork, or praying for a sick loved one. We
take care of our own, and those who we do not know as well.

Cleveland's motto is "reach one, teach one." Hence, putting into practice
the NFB'S Philosophy "the NFB also provides encouragement and support to
families with blind children and to people who are losing vision or have
become blind later in life, by bringing them into a network of tens of
thousands of blind people who are living full lives and who can serve as
mentors and role models. Together, with love, hope, and determination, the
members of the National Federation of the Blind transform dreams into
reality." We have added a number of blind people into this network of
thousands of NFB members providing inspiration, motivation and whatever else
they need to move forward as a blind person. Cleveland has done just that;
and as a result, we are absolutely stronger, and we are keeping the pledge
"To Participate Actively in The Efforts Of The National Federation of the
Blind" each and every day alive!

Moreover, Cleveland continues to circulate statistics on achievements,
equality, and justice via our many outlets. Every month prior to our Chapter
meetings, we post on Facebook, send out information by text, email, voice
box, Cleveland's Listserve, and periodically on Cleveland's communication
tool, call "Simple Blast." Simple Blast is a robo call system where short
messages are sent out to the entire Chapter by telephone, leaving
information, such as reminders of upcoming Chapter meetings, Chapter dues
and updates on members who are in bereavement and medically healing. These
communication methods are to ensure that everyone receives the same and
exact announcements, no matter the skill level, literacy, or the lack of
opportunity.

Our creative means for providing the world information of meeting dates,
times and Zoom call in numbers for Cleveland's Chapter meetings, Ohio's
events around the nation on related topics are readily available; so that
anyone who is concerned about blindness can attend and become informed. In
addition, mass emails are sent to the media, community partners and others
highlighting events, such as, Cleveland's Forum on Pedestrian Safety
Measures regarding Electric Scooters and E- Bikes and Cleveland's
Informational Seminar that was a Round Table Forum of community partners who
provided information on their respective programs and services. The Buckeye
Newsletters and The Braille Monitor, which are the organization magazines,
are distributed to members in several formats as well.

Additionally, Cleveland has highlighted and celebrated several Month
awareness through emails, Facebook, ListServe and on Cleveland's Voice Box,
such as Louis Braille Day, White Cane Safety Day, and Senior Day,
enlightening successful stories about blind leaders and activities in the
Federation. There are no communication limits when it comes to promoting the
NFB mission, goals, and philosophy for Cleveland. However, we do recognize
the NFB Code of Conduct, and we uphold it to its fullest content when using
social media.

Additionally, Cleveland created A variety of committees this year to assist
and accommodate members, newly blind individuals, and the community to keep
them engaged and connected through innovative events, even during the
Covid-19 pandemic. Hence, encouraging productivity and offering knowledge
about blindness, reasonable accommodations, accessible transportation, and
technology. The virus did not halt our mission nor purpose to distribute
specified literature throughout the surrounding areas. Cleveland directly
targeted Seniors and Parents of Blind Children to add a face and answers to
their concerns. Telephone calls were made and returned to the public
assisting them with barriers as well. Finally, in 2018, the Cleveland
Chapter developed its own Peer Mentoring Program, called ". Adjusting To
Blindness Seminar" This valuable program is still running today.

Moreover, each year, the Cleveland Chapter offers the Adjusting To Blindness
seminar to those who are newly blind in the Cleveland surrounding areas and
Nursing Homes as well. The Seminar offers the basic techniques, including:

*	Braille
*	Orientation and Mobility
*	Accessible products
*	Assistive Technology
*	Advocacy and Community Resources

Detailed information and demonstrations of these basic techniques are
provided in four breakout sessions.

The Adjustment to Blindness seminar was researched, written, developed, and
facilitated. We are Peer Mentors offering information, demonstrations, and
support for those who have been affected by loss of vision or total
blindness. We have included supportive companions in the sessions to provide
an open, unobscured view on living with blindness. Both parties are provided
with the same opportunity to discover every aspect of the seminar. This year
2024, three counselors attended and were implemented into the program
rotation alongside the participants. In addition, literature and supported
researched documentation on Braille literacy, orientation and mobility,
assistive technology and low vision aids are readily available to all
attendees, which assists with sourcing, advocacy, and declaration. NFB
materials are handed out inside their packets as well, such as Braille
cards, "information on NFB Newsline, The Free White Cane Program, "Live The
Life You Want" and more.

Although all sessions are conducted by members of the NFBO of Cleveland,
their professional expertise speaks for itself. These skilled individuals
are employed or have retired from Social Work, Social Services, Licensed
Mental Counseling, Licensed Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology,
Education, and more.

Consequently, this invaluable endeavor is a volunteer project and donations
for products, refreshments, transportation, and other incidentals are
sponsored by the NFB or community means. No fundraising or solicitation is
presented or received by the organization. Moreover, the sessions are solely
to provide literature, demonstrations, community resources, and peer support
for those who are seeking an answer and resolution. Thus, it is a response
to their plea that will enable them to become motivated, socially engaged,
self-determined and financially fruitful.

As stated above, Cleveland not only takes care of the community but our own
members as well. Cleveland has gone into members and local senior homes to
provide one-on-one instructions on Aira, Be My Eyes, grocery delivery and
more, such as, Instacart, Amazon shopping, NEWSLINE and Door dash. All are
downloaded and given directions on how to independently operate respective
services to aid this vulnerable population with tools that offer liberation
and safety. Also, several Members have used features on the Zoom platform
and conference lines to connect non-members and Cleveland members to
relevant activities, such as, Senior meetings, Ohio Executive Board
meetings, National President Releases, and the National Convention. Overall,
we are a family and Cleveland is thankful that members are continuing to
serve and thrive!