[NFBOK-Talk] Independence 2011 is fast approaching

Sundling Selena J Selena.J.Sundling at irs.gov
Fri Mar 18 12:02:07 UTC 2011

The birds are singing, the sun is out, it is time to start making plans
for the summer and Independence 2011 is the place to be! Please be sure
to help spread the word about this fantastic summer program for
blind/low vision youth entering into the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades.

What is Independence 2011?

Independence 2011 is a seven-week residential training program that
provides blind and low vision teens with the nonvisual skills and
confidence to help transition from high school to college and/or
employment.

*	Learn to travel independently using a long white cane
*	Experience real-world career opportunities
*	Two-week paid work experience
*	Learn to read and write using Braille
*	Develop computer skills through assistive technology
*	Reside in campus apartments with blind instructor/mentors
*	Expand cooking, cleaning, and shopping skills
*	Attend the NFB Youth Slam, a STEP Leadership Academy
*	Develop a positive attitude about blindness
*	Attend the 2011 NFB national convention in Orlando, FL
*	Tour Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Disney World
*	Participate in recreational and athletic activities

Who Can Apply? Legally blind high school students who are entering into
the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades in the fall of 2011. Applicants should
have an open case with their state's vocational rehabilitation or have
an alternative funding source.

Where? Again we will return to Towson University where the students will
live in apartments on campus

Sponsored by? Blind Industries and Services of Maryland

When? June 19 - August 5

For more information or to apply, please contact Amy Phelps at
410-737-2642 or aphelps at bism.org or if you have a student in the
application process, please let me know as soon as possible.

Warm regards,

Amy C. Phelps, CRC, NOMC

Help sponsor our youth program activities Donate
<https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=100
3647>

Check out information about our summer youth program: Independence 2011
<http://bism.org/r_youth_TEMP_2.cfm>

Take the NCLB at BISM  in Baltimore on March 26. For information:
National Certification in Literary Braille
<http://www.nbpcb.org/pages/NCLBcertification.php>

Blind Industries and Services of Maryland

3345 Washington Blvd

Baltimore, MD 21227

Phone: 410-737-2642

Mobile: 410-274-1647

Fax: 410-737-2689

Toll Free: 888-322-4567

E-mail: aphelps at bism.org <mailto:aphelps at bism.org>

"...given proper training and opportunity, the average blind person can
do the average job in the average place of business and do it as well as
his or her sighted neighbor..." Freedom for the Blind, James H. Omvig