[NFBOK-Talk] Thank you and keep pushing back!

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 19:18:10 UTC 2017

Federation family,

Thanks to those of you who have really been pushing back against the
legislation we are concerned about through social media. We have made our
presence and thoughts known about our position on this legislation. Thank
you, thank you, thank you! This is collective action and we are the National
Federation  of the Blind!

If you have not yet done so, please do. The e-mail sent out from Audrey
regarding how to engage in our social media efforts is below my signature.
If you would prefer to e-mail Representative Osborne about HB 1861 or
Representative Mulready about HB 2230 the information to do so is below:

HB1861 Regarding the Older Blind program

Please e-mail or call Representative Osborne to show your support for the
older blind in our community.

Contact Representative Leslie Osborne to let her know that you, as a blind
person, or someone that has close ties to the blind community question why
this is necessary and that you oppose HB1861. You may call or e-mail
Representative Osborne at (405) 557-7333 or
<mailto:leslie.osborn at okhouse.gov> leslie.osborn at okhouse.gov

HB2230 Regarding the exemption of county jail commissaries from priority to
licensed blind managers

Please contact Representative Mulready by phone or e-mail to let him know
that you support the BEP and the blind managers in Oklahoma and that you
oppose this legislation. You may contact Representative Mulready at (405)
557-7340 or  <mailto:glen.mulready at okhouse.gov> glen.mulready at okhouse.gov.

Time is of the essence as both proposed house bills are up for votes in
committee tomorrow. If you can't be present with us please take the time to
make a call or send an e-mail!

Your sister in the Federation,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

Live the life you want!

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life you want.!.

**********************

Greetings everyone.

We need you, your friends, family and anyone on social media who can be
convince to spend a few seconds supporting our cause. Here's what we need
you to do:

1. Follow the @nfbok account on Twitter and retweet us like crazy.

2. Write your own tweets opposing HB 1861 and HB 2230. Use the hashtag
#BlindPushBack. When tweeting about HB 1861, be sure to tag the bliss
author, @leslieosborn1. Sample tweets that you can cut and paste are below.

3. Like our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblindok

4. Share our Facebook posts on your personal timeline and gather support
from your friends and family.

5. Both HB 1861 and 2230 will be acted on by the Legislature in some
capacity on Wednesday March 1. Keep the tweets and post coming from now
through Wednesday. We need to keep the pressure up.

We need lots of volume to have a successful social media campaign.
Retweeting and sharing just takes a few minutes. We must stand together as
the blind push back against harmful legislation about us that was written
without input from us.

HB 1861 seeks to move rehabilitation services for older blind to private
entities and out of the Visual Services Division of DRS. Private entities
don't have the blindness skills and experience that is offered by Visual
Services staff so training would reduce in quality. Also, Visual Services
provides services statewide, including rural areas. Private entities are
limited to their regional locations and will leave rural Oklahomans without
services.

HB 2230 gives an exemption to county jails allowing them to exclude their
commissaries from the Randolph-Sheppard Blind Entrepreneurs Program. This
will put blind business owners out of work unfairly. Jobs for the blind are
already hard to come by. We don't want these jobs taken away.

Sample tweets to copy and paste:

Rep. @leslieosborn1 The blind of Oklahoma know what services and training
work best for us. We want services from @OKDRS. #BlindPushBack

Tell Representative @leslieosborn1 that blind Oklahomans have a voice. Not
about us, without us. No on HB 1861 #BlindPushBack

HB 1861 will reduce services to older blind in OK. Keep services with
@okdrs. @leslieosborn1 #BlindPushBack

HB 2230 unfairly takes jobs from the blind. Let us work! @okhousenews
#BlindPushBack

Unemployment for blind is 70%. HB 2230 will make this worse. Don't take our
jobs. @okhousenews #BlindPushBack

We want to work, not be forced on to social benefits. No on HB 2230.
@okhousenews #BlindPushBack

Thank you for standing together for #BlindPushBack

Audrey T. Farnum

First Vice President

Communications Director

National Federation of the Blind Of Oklahoma

www.nfbok.org <http://www.nfbok.org>