[NFBOK-Talk] 2017 NFB Legislative Agenda for Washington Seminar

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 20:51:31 UTC 2017

Greetings Federation family,

Good afternoon! As you have , likely, seen via the NFB lists or heard by
listening to the Presidential release over the past few months, our 2017
Washington Seminar is rapidly approaching. The Great Gathering in is
scheduled for January 30th at 5:00 PM at the Holiday Inn Capitol in
Washington D.C.  Below is a brief synopsis of the issues that we will be
asking our congressman to support over the next year. Below each issue is
the link to the fact sheet relating to the legislative issue should you like
to see more detailed information. Before and after Washington Seminar you
will receive requests asking that you seek support from your specific
congressman and both of our senators. Reaching out to your representatives
takes a few minutes and can really help  gain support for issues important
to the blind community.

Our delegation will meet with all five congressional offices and both
senatorial offices.  If you have questions regarding any of the legislative
issues feel free to contact me or Glenda Farnum, NFBOK Legislative Director.

Washington Seminar Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans Priorities for the
115th Congress, First Session

together to help blind people live the lives we want.

The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act

Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional methods of
learning in postsecondary education, but the overwhelming majority of
ebooks, courseware,

web content, and other technologies are inaccessible to students with print
disabilities. The law requires equal access in the classroom but fails to
provide

direction to schools for the way it applies to technology. AIM HE creates
voluntary accessibility guidelines for educational technology to improve
blind

students' access to course material, stimulate the market, and reduce
litigation for schools.

https://nfb.org/aimheafactsheet

The Access Technology Affordability Act

Currently, blind Americans rely on scarce sources of funding to acquire
access technology. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying
access technology

purchases, Congress can stimulate individual procurement of access
technology and promote affordability of these tools for blind Americans.

https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act

Appropriation to the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped (NLS) for the Purchase of Refreshable Braille Devices

Established in 1931, the NLS provides its patrons with accessible format
copies of printed works. With the latest innovations in refreshable Braille,
it

is now easier than ever before to put Braille into the hands of more Blind
people. A one-time appropriation to the NLS will save money and lead to the

proliferation of critically needed Braille material for blind Americans.

https://nfb.org/appropriation-national-library-service-blind-and-physically-
handicapped-nls-purchase-refreshable

The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who
Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled

Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible formats like
Braille, large print, audio, and digital copies, millions of blind and
otherwise

print-disabled Americans are excluded from accessing 95 percent of published
works. The Marrakesh Treaty calls for contracting parties to provide, in
their

national copyright laws, for a limitation or exception that allows for the
reproduction, distribution, and cross-border exchange of accessible works.

https://nfb.org/marrakeshfactsheet

These priorities will remove obstacles to employment, education, and access
to published works. We urge Congress to support our legislative initiatives.
We need your help in working together to educate and ask for the support
that we need from our representatives. Stay tuned!

Have an awesome week!

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

Live the life you want!

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life you want.!.