[NFBOK-Talk] 2017 SUMMER TRAINING & EMPLOYMENT PROJECT (STEP) Program- STRIVING FOR SUCCESS

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 23:24:50 UTC 2017

2017 SUMMER TRAINING & EMPLOYMENT PROJECT (STEP) Program
STRIVING FOR SUCCESS

Since 1985, the Louisiana Center for the Blind has been changing what it
means to be blind for adults from across America. In 1990, a program was
created to address the needs of blind high school students. The Summer
Training and Employment Project (STEP) Program is designed to introduce
blind teenagers to positive blind role models and to provide participants
with summer work experience.

The eight-week summer program will consist of two components. During the
first part of the program, competent blind counselors will instruct the
students in the alternative techniques of blindness. Classes in Braille,
cane travel, computer literacy, and daily living skills will be taught by
qualified blind instructors. In addition, seminars will be conducted in the
areas of job readiness, job interviewing skills, resume writing and job
responsibilities. The second part of the program will continue all aspects
of training and expand to include an employment dimension. Students will
have the opportunity to participate in 40 hours of work experience at a
local business--for which they will receive the Federal minimum wage. The
staff will attempt to meet the job interests of the students. Instructors
from the Louisiana Center for the Blind will be available to provide
on-the-job assistance as needed.
The combination of work experience and blindness-related skills--along with
fun-filled activities such as cookouts, swimming, mall excursions, and
various other outings--will foster self-confidence and independence in blind
teens. During the week of July 10 through July 16, students will attend the
national convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando,
Florida. This exciting conference will allow them to meet thousands of
competent blind people from across the country. The students will also have
the chance to participate in a wide variety of informative seminars and
youth-oriented social and other activities. At the close of the program,
parents will be REQUIRED to attend a Parents' Weekend which will enable them
to discover how much their children have learned throughout the summer. The
STEP program is designed to provide invaluable work experience, friendships,
opportunities for personal growth, and cherished memories.

Training will begin June 18 and conclude August 12. We recognize that there
may be some overlap between the start and conclusion of our program and
school district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate with a
student's school district in this regard. Please visit
www.louisianacenter.org <http://www.louisianacenter.org>  to learn about
more program specifics and to complete an application.
Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be
granted enrollment, and applicants must have an open case with their state's
vocational rehabilitation agency or other funding entity to cover program
costs.

Questions? Please call our Director of Youth Services, Eric Guillory at
800-234-4166 or email him at eguillory at louisianacenter.org
<mailto:eguillory at louisianacenter.org> . "Together, we are changing what it
means to be blind." Check out STEP and find out how.

BUDDY PROGRAM 2017
Putting the Pieces Together

Come and join us for a summer of fun and learning!

Since 1989, the Louisiana Center for the Blind has offered an innovative
summer program for blind children in grades four through eight. This summer,
the Buddy Program promises to be full of learning opportunities, new
friendships, and fun-filled activities.

Many blind children have misconceptions about their blindness due to the
lack of positive blind role models and to the negative stereotypes about
blindness in society. Unlike other summer programs for blind children, the
Buddy Program is directed and staffed by competent blind adults. Classes in
cane travel are taught to instill independence and self-confidence. The
knowledge of Braille enables the blind child to compete on terms of equality
with sighted peers in the classroom and provides a solid background in
spelling and other grammatical skills. Classes in access technology expose
students to available mainstream and adaptive solutions. Daily living skills
instruction promotes equal participation in household duties such as
cooking, shopping, and cleaning. In addition to learning valuable
alternative techniques of blindness, children will enjoy participating in a
wide variety of exciting activities such as swimming, camping, bowling,
roller skating, and field trips.

The combination of hard work and fun activities will provide a rewarding
experience that children will cherish. Involvement in the Buddy Program
helps them realize that it is not blindness that holds them back. Rather, it
is the negative attitudes and misconceptions about blindness that may
prevent blind children from reaching their potential. At the close of the
program, parents are REQUIRED to attend a Parents' Weekend. This weekend
will allow them to interact with other parents of blind children and to
learn what their children have discovered about their blindness and
themselves. Friendship, training, fun, growth and interaction between blind
children and positive blind role models is how the Louisiana Center for the
Blind is "changing what it means to be blind."

The Louisiana Center for the Blind will sponsor one session of the Buddy
Program in 2017. Program dates are July 23-August 12. We recognize that
there may be some overlap between the conclusion of our program and school
district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate with a student's
school district in this regard.

Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work with your child this summer. We
know it will be a memorable experience for both you and them. All interested
families should visit www.louisianacenter.org
<http://www.louisianacenter.org>  for more details and to apply. Please also
feel free to contact our Director of Youth Services, Eric Guillory before
April 17. Please email Eric at eguillory at louisianacenter.org
<mailto:eguillory at louisianacenter.org>  or call 800-234-4166.

Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be
granted enrollment. Please note that the fee for students not from Louisiana
is $1,000-which is all-inclusive save for transportation to and from the
program. The fee for Louisiana students is $500.

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166