[NFBOK-Talk] Imagineering Our Future- The newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 17:10:53 UTC 2017

View this newsletter on the web.
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6342&qid=1574614

 Imagineering Our Future

  Issue 93

January 2017

Message from the President

Youth Slam Shatters Misconceptions

National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam: A STEM Academy's Tenth
Anniversary

Take Action This Month

News from around the Federation

Message from the President

Dear Friend,

When does a young person develop their passion for a career? How much
exposure is required to ignite that passion? When do some people gravitate
to certain subjects over others? These questions are ones that I think about
as a parent and as the President of the National Federation of the Blind. In
2003 I came to be an employee of the Federation directing educational
programs. Our President at the time, Marc Maurer, asked me to put together a
science program for blind youth. I knew what not to do in such a program by
reflecting on my own miserable experience in science classes when I was in
school. In terms of what to do, I found that the only limit was our ability
to think big, be imaginative, and put together the right combination of
resources.

We are now thirteen years past my first experience building a science
program for blind youth, and the difference is noticeable. Our first group
of students is now out of college, many of them working in fields related to
science, technology, engineering, or math, and some are working in other
fields having made an informed choice that science was not for them. More
importantly, through mentoring opportunities, these young blind
professionals have given back to the blind students coming up behind, them
further amplifying the impact of our work. Many resources have been created
for blind students in STEM and many people have learned of its importance
because of the National Federation of the Blind.

At one time I wanted to be an architect but I decided not to pursue that
path because I did not know that blind people could compete in that field. I
have now met blind architects, and we have even had a course of "blind
design" in one of our STEM programs. I do not know if I would have
ultimately pursued that career had I been equipped with my current
understanding about the possibilities for blind people. What I do know is
that we are raising a generation of blind youth that can make more informed
choices based on their capacity and interest rather than on the artificial
barriers that stand in their way. Considering that STEM careers are
increasingly important in the twenty-first century economy, we can say with
certainty that the next generation of blind youth will be better equipped to
compete because of the ground-breaking work that we have pursued during the
past decade.

Next time you come across an innovative technology or an interesting
interface design, take a moment to

consider that a blind engineer, programmer, or materials scientist might
have had a part in putting that technology together. Then remember that we
do not yet know all there is to know about how to ensure that blind students
have equal access to all of the elements of studying science, technology,
engineering, and math. We will continue to need your support, ideas,
connections, and contributions to empower the next generation of blind

scientists to live the lives they want.

Sincerely,

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

Youth Slam Shatters Misconceptions

The National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam is a weeklong learning
opportunity that gets blind students excited about science, technology,
engineering, and math (STEM) subject and careers in STEM. Hundreds of blind
students have attended NFB Youth Slams, and one student returned to the NFB
National Convention in 2016 to share her experiences.

Jordyn Castor attended the 2007 NFB Youth Slam, where her "perceptions and
expectations of what a blind person could achieve as a career were
absolutely shattered" as she got hands-on experience in computer science
with instruction from strong blind mentors. Jordyn not only learned how to
program a chatbot to read news, weather, and dictionary definitions, but she
learned that "with the right tools, technology, resources, and support from
our friends and family in the NFB, we could go anywhere and do anything we
set our minds to." Since her time at NFB Youth Slam, she has graduated from
Michigan State University and is now a software engineer at Apple.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6326&qid=1574614
> To hear Jordyn's story in her own words, watch her presentation from the
national convention.

National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam: A STEM Academy's Tenth
Anniversary

Getting students excited about science, technology, engineering, and math is
critical for helping them pursue science education and careers. This is
particularly true for blind and low-vision students who might have the
perception that these topics are not for them. They are! And the NFB Youth
Slam shows them just that.

One hundred blind or low-vision high school students spend a week living on
campus at Townson University in

Baltimore. There they are taught and mentored by blind and sighted
instructors who have successful careers in STEM fields. Students have the
opportunity to run experiments in chemistry labs, build robots, learn
programming languages, or get dirty dissecting dogfish sharks. The fun and
learning do not stop there.

Think this sounds like fun? It is! Not only do we need students to apply, we
need volunteers to make this incredible program run seamlessly. Visit
blindscience.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6327&qid=1574614
>  to learn more.

Youth Slam: A STEM Academy takes place in Baltimore from July 23 to July 29,
2017.

Take Action This Month

What can you do to support the tenth anniversary of Youth Slam?

Volunteer! Visit  the blindscience.org volunteer page
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6328&qid=1574614
>  to learn how you can help. Applications are due February 15.

Encourage a student to apply! Students from all over the country attend.
Share this link with a high school student you think would enjoy this
experience: https://nfb.org/YouthSlamApplication
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6329&qid=1574614
> . Applications are due May 7, but the sooner, the better.

Follow the NFB on social media and share with your followers. Use the
hashtags #NFBYouthSlam and #STEM on Twitter.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6330&qid=1574614

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6331&qid=1574614

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6332&qid=1574614

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6333&qid=1574614
> News from around the Federation

*	We applaud the publication of Section 508 refresh regulations
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6334&qid=1574614
> .
*	Excitement over 2017 Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
Academies
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6335&qid=1574614
>  is growing. Applications are now open in many states.
*	The Independence Market
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6336&qid=1574614
>  focuses on Braille in honor of Louis Braille's birthday this month.
*	Congratulations go out to those who obtained their National Library
Service Braille transcribing credentials
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6337&qid=1574614
>  recently.
*	Please visit the NFB Calendar
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6338&qid=1574614
>  for upcoming events.

Thank you for reading Imagineering Our Future.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4049&qid=6927
80> Make a Gift Today

Back to Top

National Federation of the Blind