[NFBOK-Talk] Blind Man Unable to Perform his Job Due to Inaccessible Software

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Mon Mar 13 23:17:01 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind Supports Blind Healthcare Worker's
Discrimination Claim

Blind Man Unable to Perform his Job Due to Inaccessible Software

Boston (March 13, 2017): With the assistance of the National Federation of
the Blind, the nation's leading advocate for the civil rights of blind
people, Manuel G. Morse has brought suit in Suffolk County Superior Court
(Docket No. 1784CV00773) against his employer, Brigham and Women's Hospital,
Inc. (BWH); its corporate parent, Partners Healthcare Systems, Inc.; and
Epic Systems Corporation, a maker of software used at BWH and throughout the
healthcare industry. Mr. Morse's lawsuit alleges that he is unable to do his
job as a hospital dispatcher because Epic's software is not compatible with
the text-to-speech screen reading technology that he uses on his workplace
computer, and that his employer and Epic are aware of the problem but have
refused to take all appropriate steps to remedy it. Mr. Morse has been on
indefinite paid leave since May of 2015 because of this issue. His lawsuit
alleges violations of Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 151B, § 4, and the Massachusetts
Equal Rights Act (MERA).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"While improvements to workplace technology can benefit all workers,
including the blind, if they are properly designed and implemented,
inaccessible technology can and does threaten the ability of blind people to
obtain and maintain employment. The problem is universal but is particularly
vexing in the healthcare sector, where one of the defendants in this lawsuit
is a leading provider of software being used in healthcare facilities. The
National Federation of the Blind is willing to work with any technology
vendor or employer who wishes to ensure that its technology can be used by
everyone. At the same time, we cannot and will not tolerate unnecessarily
sidelining a skilled healthcare worker who is unable to do his job because
of a problem he did not create and was completely avoidable. We will fight
for Mr. Morse and for other blind people who find themselves in this
untenable situation."

Mr. Morse said: "Until May 27, 2015, I was a loyal, dependable, and
productive employee of Brigham and Women's Hospital who loved my job. I felt
that I was helping the hospital staff and patients and contributing to
society at large. Now I sit at home and wonder if I will be able to work
again. I am being compensated, but money is not the issue. I feel abandoned
by my employer and as if I have no purpose or value. Since my own efforts to
persuade my employers and Epic to act have failed, I must rely on the laws
and courts of Massachusetts to help me get back to work."

Mr. Morse is represented, with the support of the National Federation of the
Blind, by Christine M. Netski of the Boston firm Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak &
Cohen, P.C., and by Daniel F. Goldstein, Joseph B. Espo, and Albert Elia of
the Baltimore firm Brown, Goldstein & Levy LLP.

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6891&qid=1701761

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6892&qid=1701761

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6893&qid=1701761

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6894&qid=1701761

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6895&qid=1701761

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6896&qid=1701761

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=5515&qid=1701761&h=ccaf2
766c000a7ec> Unsubscribe | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=5515&qid=1701761&h=ccaf2
766c000a7ec> | Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6897&qid=1701761

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States