[NFBOK-Talk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert - November 7, 2017

Jeanie Massay jeannie.massay at nfbok.org
Wed Nov 8 17:09:10 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Thank you for all of your calls and emails regarding the elimination of the
increased standard deduction for blind people. I have received several
questions regarding the purpose and scope of the standard deduction for the
blind. In an effort to send out the information, my previous Legislative
Alert over simplified some of the math. Here is some additional detail.

Beginning in the 1940s, as a result of NFB’s advocacy, the IRS has included
an increased standard deduction for blind people compared to non-blind
people. This deduction reduces one’s taxable income and the corresponding
amount of taxes a blind person has to pay. In 2017, the standard deduction
for a non-blind person filing as single is $6,350 and the standard deduction
for a blind person filing as single is $7,900, an increase of $1,550. As far
as the effect this deduction has on how much in taxes one would have to pay,
that depends on one’s individual tax situation.

The deduction is not intended to pay for a specific item, but all of the
extra items that blind people have to pay for to live the lives we want.
This could be anything from transportation to guide dog supplies.

Please continue to make your calls and send your emails. The best way to
contact your member of Congress is to call the Capitol Switchboard at (202)
224-3121 and ask for the office in question. Emailing your member of
Congress is also a good idea. If you do so, please copy me at JPare at nfb.org
<mailto:JPare at nfb.org> .
Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.
Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | Jpare at nfb.org <mailto:Jpare at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work