[NFBOK-Talk] New Summer Program Announced - N FB Engineering Quotient (EQ)

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 2 23:36:06 UTC 2018

Please pass this along to all students who qualify. The program is an
awesome opportunity for Oklahomans interested in Engineering.

Jeannie

ATTENTION BLIND AND LOW-VISION STUDENTS!

Are you or do you know a blind or low-vision teen who wants to spend their
summer learning, meeting new people, and having a great adventure? Join the
National Federation of the Blind at our NFB EQ program. NFB EQ is a
jam-packed week of fun and learning. Participants spend each day engaged in
activities designed to strengthen their knowledge of engineering as well as
their problem-solving abilities. In the evenings, participants hang out with
the 29 other teen participants while exploring the local community and
participating in various recreational activities. Throughout the week,
participants will forge new friendships while increasing their engineering
knowledge, problem-solving abilities, self-confidence, and independence.

TO LEARN MORE AND TO APPLY, VISIT

https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9954&qid=2126807

THE SPECS

WHO: 30 blind and low-vision teens currently enrolled in grades 9-12 in the
United States.

WHAT: A weeklong summer engineering program for blind and low-vision teens.

WHEN: Participants will travel to Baltimore on July 29 and they will travel
back home on August 4.

WHERE: The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute in Baltimore,
Maryland.

WHY: To meet new people, learn new things, and have an exciting adventure!

HOW: APPLY NOW! [2] APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 1, 2018.

HOW MUCH: There is no registration fee for this program. Visit our
frequently asked questions web page for more details:
https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9955&qid=2126807
[3].

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

  	* To be eligible to apply students must: be enrolled in grades 9-12
during the 2017-2018 school year in a school (public, private, charter,
residential, or home school) in the United States, be blind or have
low-vision, and be available to attend the entire program.
  	* Participant's transportation to and from the program will be
arranged by the National Federation of the Blind. Students will travel to
Baltimore on Sunday and will travel home on the following Saturday.
  	* This is a residential program; students will stay in dormitories
at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute and all meals
will be provided.
  	* In the evenings, after the conclusion of the instructional day,
students will be engaged in various social and recreational activities.

WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT EQ?

"NFB EQ gave me more confidence to keep doing what I want--no one can stop
me! The program opened my eyes to even more options in the field [of
engineering] and it gave me some confidence that I can do some mechanical
stuff that I didn't think I could do before." - Michael, Texas

"At the program, I learned that there is accessible equipment--I can use
equipment that is close to what sighted people use, like Braille rulers and
click rules. At school the tools for measuring in science aren't always
accessible to me." - Lilly, Alaska

"I increased my drawing skills at NFB EQ. The tactile drawing board helped
me, because I could feel what I drew. Visualizations also have gotten easier
[going from drawing to model to prototype]. In engineering, you have to
picture an idea in your mind and then draw it before you can build it.
When you draw it, you can really see how it's going to come together." -
Trey, Kentucky

"I am amazed at how the people involved in organizing this program made
everything so easy for us. From organizing logistics to making sure the
schedule was running smoothly for the students--the whole event was very
successful. The staff's warmth and attention to detail really eased my mind
and made me feel good about leaving my son at the program for the week." -
Mark (father), North Carolina

"I was looking for a rigorous, highly academic science program that promoted
and modeled independence and the National Federation of the Blind was
offering everything I was looking for. Still, I was hesitant. What if it
wasn't a good use of my students' resources, or what if they weren't safe?
My fears were unwarranted, from start to finish. NFB made the health,
safety, academic rigor, social experiences, and general well-being of our
students paramount. Every detail was professionally planned and handled,
ensuring that every moment, for every student, was as meaningful as it could
possibly be." - Laura (teacher of the visually impaired), Kentucky

QUESTIONS?

Send them to:
  STEM at nfb.org
  (410) 659-9314, extension 2418
  National Federation of the Blind
  200 East Wells Street
  Baltimore, Maryland 21230

_This material is based upon work supported by the National Science
Foundation under Grant No. 1712887. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions
or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation._

  		[4]

  		[5]

  		[6]

  		[7]

  		[8]

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND | 200 E WELLS STREET | BALTIMORE, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
  Unsubscribe [9] | Opt Out [10]| Sign up for email newsletter [11]

  		200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States

Links: