[NFBOK-Talk] US House of Representatives Passes Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 17:54:21 UTC 2018

Greetings to all! Yippee!!!!! Read the following message about the Marrakesh
Treaty Implementation Act!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

US House of Representatives Passes Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act
Treaty Now Awaits Presidential Action

Washington, DC (September 25, 2018): The United States House of
Representatives has passed the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act (S.
2559), which makes modest changes to copyright law that will bring the
United States into compliance with the terms of the Marrakesh Treaty. The
Senate gave its advice and consent to ratification of the treaty and passed
the implementing legislation on June 28.

"For almost a decade now, the National Federation of the Blind, our
partners, and other advocates have worked to bring the Marrakesh Treaty into
being and into force," said Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. "Today we applaud the United States House of
Representatives for its passage of the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act.
We now urge President Trump to sign this implementing legislation, and to
order the State Department to deposit the instrument of ratification with
the World Intellectual Property Organization as soon as practicable. We are
closer than ever to the day when blind Americans will have greater access to
the world's knowledge, in many of its original languages, than we have ever
had in human history."

###

About the National Federation of the Blind The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest and largest
nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB
consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty states,
Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of blind people
of all ages and provides information and support to families with blind
children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the
hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.
nfb.org - National Federation of the Blind<http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
between blind people and our dreams.

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is
confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in
relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.