[NFBOK-Talk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind to Make Transportation Available to Blind Americans for Essential Services through Lyft during COVID-19

atfarnum at gmail.com atfarnum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:00:55 UTC 2020

See the release below about this exciting partnership between the NFB and Lyft.

Audrey T. Farnum, J.D.

First Vice President

National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma

405-590-6110

firstvp at nfbok.org <mailto:firstvp at nfbok.org>

www.nfbok.org <http://www.nfbok.org>

www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblindok <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblindok>

Live the life you want.

National Federation of the Blind to Make Transportation Available to Blind Americans for Essential Services through Lyft during COVID-19

Blind Americans Will Receive Lyft Ride Credits to Buy Essentials and More

Baltimore, Maryland (April 23, 2020): The National Federation of the Blind, as part of its ongoing efforts to protect and connect blind Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, has partnered with Lyft to provide access to transportation for blind people by distributing Lyft discount codes through its affiliates. The partnership is a LyftUp <https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>  initiative, Lyft’s comprehensive effort to expand transportation access to those who need it most. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Lyft has activated more than 500 partners through LyftUp. This includes  <https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community> efforts in collaboration with public health entities, local governments, nonprofits, and community organizations to create new opportunities for drivers, provide rides to those in need, and help distribute essential goods during the COVID-19 situation.

“Access to affordable, reliable transportation is always critical for blind people, but particularly at this time, since public transportation and paratransit services are being scaled back to stop the spread of the coronavirus,” said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “Partnering with Lyft is one way in which the National Federation of the Blind is protecting and connecting blind people by facilitating essential travel to purchase food, medicine, and other crucial goods and services that we and our families need. We commend Lyft and its driver community for collaborating with us to make this possible.”

“We want to increase access to transportation for those who need it, particularly to meet their essential needs during this time. By activating LyftUp, we’re able to partner with the National Federation of the Blind to fill mobility needs so that blind people can connect with essential services,” said Lisa Boyd, Director of Social Impact, Lyft. “We’re also grateful to all those who drive with Lyft for helping provide rides for those in need. Lyft will be supporting drivers by creating new opportunities to help them earn additional income through the Lyft app and continuously working to protect their safety.”

To make sure riders and drivers know the best ways to protect themselves and those around them, Lyft is providing continuous  <https://www.lyft.com/safety/coronavirus/#driver> updates. To learn more about how else Lyft is supporting its community during this time, visit its  <https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community> blog. <https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>
 <https://www.lyft.com/blog/posts/supporting-our-community>
About Lyft
Lyft was founded in 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation and is available to 95 percent of the United States population as well as select cities in Canada. Lyft is committed to effecting positive change for our cities and making cities more livable for everyone through initiatives that bridge transportation gaps, and by promoting transportation equity through shared rides, bikeshare systems, electric scooters, and public transit partnerships.

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org> .

###

This release is also available at: https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-make-transportation-available-blind-americans

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

Twitter: @rlawyer

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>