[NFBp-Berks] April Minutes

Linda Mackey snowwhite014 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:14:54 UTC 2023

Here are the April minutes. They are also in an attachment.

--
*Linda Mackey*
*Home 610-750-6765*

*National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania -
                      Greater Berks Chapter Meeting*

*Date: Friday, April 14, 2023            *       Location: Zoom Conference
Call

1. Roll Call: 7 members and guests in attendance

*Officers*:

John Kaufman, Vice President           Brian Mackey, Treasurer
                       Linda Mackey, Secretary

*Board Member*:

Judy Vaskorlis

*Members:*

Jasmyn Polite, Helen Denker, Angel Torres

2. Vice President John Kaufman called the meeting to order at 10:05 am.

3. Secretary’s Report: Linda Mackey

Minutes were read; Brian Mackey approved; seconded by Angel Torres

Discussion regarding the membership rights of Lynn Heitz. She is an
ex-official member of all the chapters. John took exception to Lynn Heitz
and Emily Gindlesberger being on our calls and interfering with our
chapter. John stated that Brian and Linda are not from Berks County and
Berks County folks operate differently. John took exception about the
chapter supporting Brian and Linda going to convention. Linda stated that
any of the members can also attend the national and state conventions. John
stated that the members live on tight budgets, so they do not have the
funds or confidence to attend.  Linda replied that confidence is gained by
attending these events. And that members from other chapters are very
active in attending various events/conventions. John asked Brian if he ever
added up his expenses for attending conventions in 2022. He wanted this
information sent to him in an email. Linda replied that question does not
pertain to the minutes.

4. Treasurer’s Report: Brian Mackey

Linda Mackey approved; seconded by Angel Torres

Brian Mackey provided the following treasury figures:

Beginning Balance as of February 28:                       *$1594.71*

*Income*:

Dues
$5.00

Total Income:
$5.00

*Expenses*:

PAC Plan:
$10.00

*Total Expenses*:
$10.00

Ending Balance as of January 31:
*$1589.71*

*Line Items:*

Transportation Assistance Fund:                                $614.60

*Total Line Items:*
$614.60

*Working Balance*:
*$975.11*

John questioned the line item amount. The amount remains from the budget
and should have had an ending date for use.

 5. Old/New Business:

John wants it on the record that he takes exception to Lynn Heitz being a
member of our chapter.

It was decided by John, Rosemary, and Judy to have lunch at Aztec Mexican
restaurant on April 14th. Linda and Brian, as board members, were not
consulted. The chapter would pay $25 for paid members. Linda questioned if
we might send out an email asking if this date was good for the whole
chapter. John said he would ask Rosemary to send out an email to the
members. John asked how many paid members we have. Brian replied that we
have 9 paid members.

Brian informed us that registration for the National Convention is now
open. Dates: July 1 -July 6th at the Hilton Americas, Houston, TX.
Registration: $25; Banquet $75. Registration deadline: June 1st. Overflow
hotel is the Marriott. Hotel costs can be found on the NFB website

State convention will be November 9-12th, Harrisburg Crowne Plaza.
Additional details will come soon.

John asked for an overview of what happens at the National Convention.
Brian listed discussions about the Presidential Release, financial reports,
legislation updates, National office team updates, pass resolutions,
learning about new technology, and various guest speakers. Linda added that
we learn what blind people are doing in the world. One gentleman from NASA
presented with Braille handouts; one blind driver driving the Salt Flats,
and much more.

John asked for legislation updates. Brian indicated two bills have been
reintroduced to the new Congress. Bill one is the Medical Devices Nonvisual
Accessibility Act that will have the FDA input guidelines for Class 2 & 3
Devices to have an accessible interface. This is in the House so far. The
second act reintroduced to the Houses and the Senate is the Transformation
to Competitive Employment Act. Both Acts were in the previous Congress, but
the bills did not have enough sponsors to pass. Since we now have a new
Congress, the bills must be reintroduced and gain new sponsors.

John suggested Jasmyn connect with the Allentown Chapter, which is an
active group.  Brian will pass on the president, Kirk Hunger, contact
information.

John remarked that he is amazed that more people do not join this chapter
that was started about ten years ago. Judy and Jasmyn have tried to recruit
new members. Brian added that perhaps the problem might be with the day and
time that we meet, which is difficult for people that work or in school.

John asked if we might have meetings in the evening. Judy remarked she
prefers mornings and she works on the weekend. Jasmyn also prefers
mornings. Brian asked if we might try Saturday mornings. Judy said she
works.

John asked what do we really have to offer to the blind of Berks County on
a day-to-day basis. He did not want to hear about conventions. Judy
disclosed that the chapter gave her contact with other blind persons like
herself. Jasmyn added that the chapter heled with things that OVR can not
do. She attends the Strausberg blind center and has discussions on what
they expect blind services to do.

John stated that in the past months we reached out to all the Berks County
blind persons to assist them in getting items that they needed. John stated
that we raised the money, but were reprimanded for using it for things the
OVR has the money to pay for. He dislikes using the money to go to
conventions. John feels the only things we have to offer are fellowship,
lunches, and support groups for discussions. But he feels we are not doing
a good job in that area. Jasmyn was shocked and disappointed that OVR does
not pay for transportation to get to work or for supplies like Braille
paper.

John questioned Brian’s email tagline listing the states he is involved
with and wanted to know what it is all about. Brian informed him that he is
their webmaster. He wanted to know if Brian is paid or if he is being paid.
Brian and Linda stated that is personal information and he doesn’t have to
disclose it. John insisted that Brian would have an invested interest in
going to all these conventions at the Berks Chapter’s expense. Linda
interjected that he did not become a webmaster for different states. He was
recommended by the NJ state affiliate president and others he knew. This
was before he became a member of this chapter. John still insisted that
Brian had a vested interest in going to the conventions. Brian stated that
he goes to conventions as an interested and dedicated member of the
National Federation of the Blind. Brian being a webmaster has nothing to do
with his attending conventions. John insisted that it does since they pay a
portion for him to attend.

John was upset that the chapter was reprimanded for helping Berks County
blind. He was ticked off that certain members are not allowed to be in our
chapter.

6. John motioned to end the meeting at 10:48 am; seconded by Linda Mackey

Our next meeting will be May 12, 2023 via the affiliate’s Zoom room
(meeting ID 215 988 0888).

Respectfully submitted by Linda Mackey, Secretary

Reviewed by Rosemary Freedman, President

National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania Greater Berks Chapter