[NFBp-Berks] NFB of PA's November 2023 Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 04:01:05 UTC 2023

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our November 2023 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

The events and information listed below will be within the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent
information from the National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania
blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com  by the 27th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.

A Message from our State Affiliate President

Happy November Federation Family!

Our state convention is here! I hope to meet up with most of you in
Harrisburg between the 9th and the 12th. Our national rep is Pam Allen, 1st
Vice President of the NFB and Executive Director of the Louisiana Center
for the Blind. We will also bring back our hospitality suite and welcome
you all there!  There will be a Veterans’ Celebration as well as the Talent
Showcase and Live Auction during the evenings of the convention. I am
excited to hang out with you there!

- Lynn Heitz

President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

president at NFBOfPA.org

*Google Calendar Links*

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can View our Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please Subscribe
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
and go through the steps to subscribe:

*Member Spotlight: Lynn Heitz *

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow other members to learn about other members within the affiliate. We
hope you enjoy this little spotlight!

Lynn Heitz currently serves as our state affiliate president as well as the
chapter president of the Brandywine Valley Chapter. She has been a strong
advocate for the Pennsylvania blind community: participating at the OVR
Board and the Pennsylvania Rehabilitation Council meetings. She loves to
crochet and has used her hobby to make hats and scarves for those living in
homeless shelters. She is a guide dog mommy to Danny, a poodle. She
absolutely loves her kids and grandkids and spend a lot of quality time
with them whenever she can. If you ever get a chance to encounter her, do
not forget to say “Hello!”

*Calendar of Events*

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information or meeting location. If anyone within a chapter, division, or
group see any errors or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at
nfb.stacie at gmail.com

The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

Coffee with the State President and Board

This monthly discussion meeting brings everybody together to get to know
the state affiliate board members and the happenings within the state’s
divisions, chapters, and advocacy efforts. This meeting is typically held
the 1st Wednesday of the month.

Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 7:00PM ET.

*Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The other
chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter.  For November 2023, the
Keystone Chapter changed their meeting day to the first Saturday of the
month due to the state convention.

Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 10:15AM ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 4th Monday of the month.  For November
2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 8:00 AM

*Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children (PAOPBC) Monthly
Meeting*

a monthly meeting for parents of blind children and their supporters This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month. For November
2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 8:00AM ET

*Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters
This meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For
November 2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 10:15AM ET

*Blind Seniors Group Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th Wednesday of
the month.  For November 2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state
convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 12:00PM ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship, and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.  For November
2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 1:00PM ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide dog
as well as their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month.  For November 2023, this meeting will be in-person
at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at10:15AM   ET

*Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Monday of the
month.  For November 2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state
convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 1:45PM ET

Board of Directors Meeting

This meeting is the meeting for the board of directors. Only those in the
board can make motions and vote but all are invited to be a part of the
meeting. For November 2023, this meeting will be in-person at our state
convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 4:00PM ET

*Jigsaw Chapter monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their
geographical area. This is our at-large chapter Meetings This meeting is
typically held on the 1st Saturday of the month.  However, for November
2023, the chapter will be meeting in-person at our state convention.

Friday, November 10, 2023 at 3PM ET

*Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting*

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 6PM ET

*Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting*

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Lehigh Valley region of
Pennsylvania.  This includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and the
surrounding areas.  For November 2023, the meeting will be changed due to
the state convention.

Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 10 AM ET.

*Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*Erie County Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 2PM ET

*Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month.

The November 2023 meeting has been cancelled and meetings will resume
virtually December 2023.

*Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley area of PA.
This meeting is typically held on the 4th Saturday of the month.

Saturday, November 25, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*White Canes Connect Podcast*

Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant as well
as some guest hosts. It features interviews with our PA members as well as
interviews and resources for the blind community. The monthly digest is
also on the podcast for those who wish to hear a human’s voice instead of a
screen reader. You can listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

*State Convention 2023 *

Our State Convention is here! Mark your calendar! Clear your agendas! We
will be convening from November 9 to 12, 2023 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in
Harrisburg, PA!

Here is a brief agenda:

Thursday, November 9: Senior Possibilities Fair, Technology Seminar:
Teching Care of Business, and Veterans’ Celebration

Friday, November 10: Divisions & Groups meetings, Board of Directors
meeting, Talent Showcase and Live Auction

Saturday, November 11: General Sessions and Banquet

Sunday, November 12: Chapter Breakfast and Business Meeting

For a complete listing of all convention happenings, please visit our
website: www.nfbofpa.org

A Word document is also attached to this monthly digest with the agenda.

Hospitality Suite2023

Coming back by popular demand is our hospitality suite! The Pennsylvania
Association of Blind Merchants is completely sponsoring this venue. Come by
the tenth floor for snacks, drinks, and meet other people at the
convention.

Thursday, November 9: 3PM to 7PM

Friday, November 10: 6:30AM to 3:30PM

Saturday, November 11: 6:30AM to 8:00AM

Sunday, November 12: Closed

Talent Showcase

For those who will be attending the convention in-person, we are looking
for performers of all talents to showcase them at the talent show which
will take place on the evening of Friday, November 10, 2023. If you are
interested in performing, please contact Stacie Leap at
Stacie.leap at gmail.com  or 215-776-6741.

*Shout-Outs and Announcements!* *Birthday Wishes*

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in November a very happy birthday!

Congratulations Angelina Angelcyk

 Earlier this month on October 14, 2023, Angelina Angelcyk from the
Pittsburgh Chapter and the Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students had
the opportunity to sing Canada and the Star-Spangled Banner at the
Pittsburgh Penguin vs Calgary Flames game. Please check it out on YouTube:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VV0RqAhhsU

 Community Support Program of Philadelphia partners with NFB of PA for
#BEAM Event

 Members of our affiliate participated in the Community Support Program of
Philadelphia's monthly meeting on October 11, 2023 at United Peers in
Philadelphia, PA. For their October meeting, the theme was "Blind Equality
Achievement Month (BEAM)" and featured the following members:

 - Stacie Leap from the Greater Philadelphia chapter as the moderator

 - Jabriel Buie from the Greater Philadelphia Chapter as a panelist

 - Lyvette Byrd from the Greater Philadelphia Chapter as a panelist

 - David Goldstein from the Keystone Chapter as a panelist

 - Lynn Heitz from the Brandywine Chapter as a panelist

 All spoke of their experiences as a blind or visually person speaking on
topics ranging from using a white cane or guide dogs, navigating
technology, running businesses and nonprofits, and upcoming events in their
lives. B.E.A.M helps break down any stigma on blindness and show others
that we can live the lives we want and that blindness definitely does not
hold us back!  Thank you to the panelist for being a part of this event!

Congratulations to Stacie Leap

 Congratulations to Stacie Leap for winning an award from Purpose House
Project PA. She was surprised with the award at the 2023 Purple Path Walk
on Saturday, October 7, 2023 after speaking on her experiences living with
a disability after surviving intimate partner violence (IPV). She was given
an award on her advocacy on the intersectionality of blindness and domestic
violence. Because of her advocacy on accessibility, Purple House Project PA
now offers their program materials in Braille and large print for those who
need it. They are also working on fixing their website so it can be
compatible with screen readers and keyboard navigations.

Congratulation Lyvette Byrd on Women Empowerment Conference 2023!

 Congratulations to Lyvette Byrd for being a speaker for the Women
Empowerment Conference 2023 which was held in Washington DC on Saturday,
October 13, 2023. Alongside other NFB members, she spoke on her blindness
journey and her upcoming projects as well as her goals and aspirations!

*Fundraisers* *Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser*

The t-shirts come in either black with white letterings or white with black
letterings. Both shirts say “I Support #BlindParents” with the NFB of PA
Logo and “Blind Parents Group” at the bottom. Funds raised will start a
scholarship fund to assist blind or visually impaired parents and their
family through financial life hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please
contact Stacie Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com

*Believe You Can! Talent Show *

For the third year, the Keystone Chapter invited performers from all over
the country to showcase their talents on the virtual stage for the annual
#BEAM event. There was a total of 13 performers who participated in the
talent show from all over the country and Sweden.  David Holdstein, the
Chair of the Believe You Can Committee wants to thank everybody who helped
make this event a success!
*Other External Events*

These events are not hosted or sponsored by the NFB or the NFB of PA.
However, we think these might be good resources for those living in
Pennsylvania. If you have any events that you wish to be in our monthly
digest, please email Stacie Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com

*Liberty Resources’ Blind/Low Vision Support Group*

Our members Karen Rose and Simone Cooper partner up with Liberty Resources
to hold a weekly virtual support group at Liberty Resources. The aim is to
share resources and provide support to those experiencing blindness or low
vision. Meetings are weekly on Tuesdays from 1pm to 2pm ET via Zoom. You do
not need to live in Philadelphia to attend these meetings, this is open to
all in Pennsylvania! For more information or to sign-up, please email
Latoya Maddox at LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org

Women Healed for A Purpose 2023: another successful year!

 Lyvette Byrd held her 2nd Annual Women Healed for A Purpose conference on
Saturday, October 28, 2023 in Philadelphia, PA. People attended from all
over the East coast including Maryland and Virginia. Lyvette would like to
thank Stacie Leap and Gloria Nathan-Cherry, both members of the Greater
Philadelphia Chapter, for being on the planning committee. She would also
like to thank Denice Brown for having an informational table there
highlighting the NFB. She would also like to thank everybody within the NFB
who supported her in any way and in ensuring another successful year of
WHFAP!
*NFB Pledge*

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

*NFB Message*

between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!

the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

www.nfbofpa.org