[NFBP-Jigsaw] NFB of PA's March 2023 Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:59:34 UTC 2024

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our March 2024 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

The events and information listed below will be within the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent
information from the National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania
blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com  by the 27th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.

*A Message from our State Affiliate President*

Hello everyone,

We have survived the snow and can now enjoy some cool sunshiney weather!

Washington Seminar went well.  We had the opportunity to meet Senator John
Fedderman on Jan. 31.  There should be some photos of the group on our
website,  www.nfbofpa.org

Just a reminder, the National Scholarship application is available for any
of you looking to attend college or if you are currently enrolled.

Also, the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship for first time Convention goers is
available.

The Outreach season has started off with a bang!  There are many
opportunities for Chapters and divisions to get out and share the word
about the NFB of PA.

I am looking forward to meeting with several of you at the 2024 Leadership
Seminar!

Remember, this is the last month to sell those Spring raffle tickets.  The
ticket stubs and checks need to be to Jim Antonacci no later than March 31
to be eligible for the entire month of April.  Don’t miss out!  Sell! Sell!
Sell!

Have a great month!

Sincerely,

Lynn Heitz

President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

president at NFBOfPA.org

Google Calendar Links

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can View our Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please Subscribe
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
and go through the steps to subscribe:

Member Spotlight: Michelle McManus

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow us to learn about other members within the affiliate. We hope you
enjoy this little spotlight!

Michelle McManus serves in many capacities within our state affiliate. On a
local level, she serves as the President of our Happy Valley Chapter that
serves the areas surrounding State College, PA. She is one of the board
members on our state affiliate and as the Outreach Committee Chair, she
provides engagement and recruitment opportunities for the affiliate. During
our state conventions, she helps with the technology, sound system, and
various events including the Technology Seminar, Talent Show, and Live
Auction. She is very friendly and if you ever get a chance to meet her, do
not forget to say, “Hello!”

Calendar of Events

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information or meeting location. If anyone within a chapter, division, or
group see any errors or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at
nfb.stacie at gmail.com

The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

Jigsaw Chapter monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their
geographical area. This is our at-large chapter Meetings This meeting is
typically held on the 1st Saturday of the month. For more information,
please contact Chapter President David Miller at
David.miller at zoominternet.net

Saturday, March 2, 2024 at 10 AM ET

*Coffee with the State President and Board*

This monthly discussion meeting brings everybody together to get to know
the state affiliate board members and the happenings within the state’s
divisions, chapters, and advocacy efforts. This meeting is typically held
the 1st Wednesday of the month. For more information, please contact State
President Lynn Heitz at president at nfbofpa.org

Wednesday, March 6, 2024 at 7:30 PM ET.

Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Lehigh Valley region of
Pennsylvania.  This includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and the
surrounding areas. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of
the month. For more information, please contact Chapter President Cheryl
Frazier at cherylnfrazier at yahoo.com

Saturday, March 9, 2024 at 10 AM ET.

Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The other
chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter. This meeting is typically held
on the 2nd Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact
Chapter President Harriet Go at goharriet00 at hotmail.com

Saturday, March 9, 2024 at 10:15AM ET

State Board of Directors’ Meeting

A meeting held every other month where those elected to the State Board
discuss and vote on business relating to the NFB of PA. All are welcome to
attend but only those elected to the State Board may vote. This meeting
will be held in-person in conjunction with the 2024 State Leadership
Seminar. For more information, please contact State President Lynn Heitz at
president at nfbofpa.org

Saturday, March 9, 2024 at 1 PM ET

Happy Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in or surrounding State College,
Pennsylvania.  This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of the
month. For more information, please contact Chapter President Michelle
McManus at michelleandremy at gmail.com

Saturday, March 9, 2024 at 1 PM ET

Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Monday of the
month. For more information, please contact Division President Chris
Westbrook at westbchris at gmail.com

Monday, March 11, 2024 at 6 PM ET

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship, and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. For more
information, please contact Division President Pamela Baquero at
oneblindhippie at yahoo.com

Wednesday, March 13, 2024 at 6 PM ET

Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For More
Information, please contact Chapter President Jason Polanski at
jaedpo96 at gmail.com

Saturday, March 16, 2024 at 10 AM ET

Erie County Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Connie Scheu at conniej1250 at gmail.com

Saturday, March 16, 2024 at 2 PM ET

Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters
This meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Group Chair Stacie Leap at Stacie.leap at gmail.com

Saturday, March 16, 2024 at 7 PM ET

*Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Group Quarterly Meeting *

A monthly meeting for those who have diabetes, pre-diabetes, or at risk for
developing diabetes. This group typically meets quarterly on the 3rd
Monday. For more information, please contact Group Chair Christine Palmer
at tinybuchanan1204 at gmail.com

Monday, March 18, 2024 at 7 PM ET

Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. For more
information, please contact Chapter Revitalizing Team Members Emily
Gindlesperger at vp2 at nfbp.org or Denice Brown at dbrown8827 at aol.com

Wednesday, March 20, 2024 at 7 PM ET

Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley area of PA.
This meeting is typically held on the 4th Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Chapter President Lynn Heitz at
president at nfbofpa.org

Saturday, March 23, 2024 at 10 AM ET

Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact Chapter
President Denice Brown at dbrown8827 at aol.com

Saturday, March 23, 2024 at 10 AM ET

Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide dog
as well as their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact Division
President Becca Weber at  weberbecca630 at gmail.com

Saturday, March 23, 2024 at 4 pm ET

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 4th Monday of the month. For more
information, please contact Division President Simon Bonenfant at
sbonenfant2 at gmail.com

Monday, March 25, 2024 at 7 PM ET

Blind Seniors Group Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th Wednesday of
the month. For more information, please contact Group Chair Connie Scheu at
conniej1250 at gmail.com

Wednesday, March 27, 2024 at 7:30 PM ET

White Canes Connect Podcast

Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant as well
as some guest hosts. It features interviews with our PA members as well as
interviews and resources for the blind community. The monthly digest is
also on the podcast for those who wish to hear a human’s voice instead of a
screen reader. You can listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

2024 State Leadership Seminar

Our NFB of PA’s Leadership Seminar will take place from Friday, March 8
until Sunday, March 10, 2024 in State College, PA. Leaders from our state
affiliate will come together and finetune their leadership skills,
collaborate on state-wide committees and initiatives, and build the
National Federation of the Blind. For more information, please contact
State President Lynn Heitz at president at nfbofpa.org

Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Group formed in Pennsylvania!

We are delighted to have a new group join our NFB of PA family! This group,
Diabetes Action Network (DAN), aims to educate and provide peer support for
those living with diabetes or for those who are at-risk for developing
diabetes. The group plans to meet quarterly on the 3rd Monday of the month
at 7PM ET. For more information, please contact the Group Chair Christine
Palmer at tinybuchanan1204 at gmail.com

National Convention

Our national convention is coming up in July! It will take place from July
3 until July 8, 2024 in Orlando, Florida. For more information on all
things convention related, please visit www.nfb.org/convention

Registration opened March 1, 2024. Registration fees are $25 and the
banquet tickets are $75.

To register for the convention, please visit www.nfb.org/registration

Kid Camp at National Convention

NFB Camp is a childcare option offered during our national convention for
children ages six weeks to twelve-years-old, both blind and sighted. On the Kid
Camp website <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/nfb-camp>,
you can find out the schedule, register your child, and pay for the camp.

Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship for First-Time National Convention Attendees

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship provides funding support to
National Federation of the Blind members who want to attend a national
convention for the first time. To find out eligibility requirements,
deadlines, and how to apply, please visit the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship
Website
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scholarship>.

NFB Student Scholarship

The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is the
largest of its kind in the nation. Every year, we award more than $250,000
in cash and prizes to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District
of Columbia, and Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and
professional aspirations. Visit the Scholarship website
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
to learn how to apply and eligibility requirements.

Shout-Outs and Announcements! Birthday Wishes

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in February and March a very happy birthday!

Congratulations to Brian Mackey, newly elected President of the Greater
Berks Chapter

We would like to congratulate Brian Mackey on his newly elected position of
Chapter President of the Greater Berks Chapter. This Chapter is undergoing
revitalization. Please see the message from Brian below.

Good Morning,

I am writing to let you know that I am the newly elected President of the
Greater Berks chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Pennsylvania.  It has been quite a while since we have seen you at a
Chapter meeting and I hope you are well.

We are in the process of revitalizing the chapter and will be holding our
first hybrid Chapter meeting on Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 10:00AM.  The
in-person portion of the meeting will be held at the West Lawn Library
located at 101 Woodside Avenue in West Lawn.

Please let me know if you will be able to join me at this meeting.

Sincerely,

Brian A. Mackey, President
Greater Berks Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania
Phone: 609-680-8488
Email: berks at nfbofpa.org

Fundraisers Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser

The t-shirts come in either black with white letterings or white with black
letterings. Both shirts say “I Support #BlindParents” with the NFB of PA
Logo and “Blind Parents Group” at the bottom. Funds raised will start a
financial fund to assist blind or visually impaired parents and their
family through financial life hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please
contact Stacie Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com

NFB of PA Spring Raffle

We are currently selling raffle tickets for our Spring Raffle. Each chapter
and division were given raffle tickets to sell to their family, friends,
neighbors, and supporters. If you would like to buy a ticket, priced at $5
a ticket, contact your local area chapter president or division president.
All ticket sales ends March 31, 2024 and drawings will start the entire
month of April 2024.

Other External Events

The below events are not a part of the National Federation of the Blind or
the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania; however, we feel that
it might benefit the Pennsylvania blind community.  If you have an event
that you want to add to this newsletter, please send it to Stacie Leap at
nfb.stacie at gmail.com by the 27th of the month so it can be placed in the
following month’s digest.

American Foundation for the Blind's Digital Accessibility Bootcamp

Calling all computer science students! Help Shape Tomorrow's Inclusive
Technology.

In today’s tech-driven world, the impact of our creations extends far
beyond visuals and lines of code. Accessibility is not just a feature; it’s
a fundamental right.

AFB’s Digital Accessibility Bootcamp
<https://afb.org/internships/bootcamp?sourceid=1083945&emci=e8d6b3f1-ffd7-ee11-85f9-002248223794&emdi=0522e46b-03d8-ee11-85f9-002248223794&ceid=8055453>
is a 3-month summer experience offering computer science students the
opportunity to learn how to design and build digital solutions that break
down barriers, ensuring that everyone, regardless of ability, can fully
engage with the digital landscape. Participants will receive hands-on
learning and mentorship from industry experts, gaining valuable skills in
inclusive design and development practices that will give them a
competitive edge in the rapidly growing field of accessibility.

Introductory Level Ballet Classes

Dark Room Ballet is offering free Saturday Introductory Level Classes for
individuals with no ballet experience. The class introduces students to
necessary anatomical concepts like turnout, torso stability, foot
sensitivity and mobility, sightless balancing, and the use of a taped floor
for orientation. The next class cycle starts in March 2024. To register and
learn more about this class and other offerings from Dark Room Ballet, call
929-367-0025 or email info at darkroomballet.com

Accessible Pharmacy Services Diabetes Prevention Program

This program is fully funded by insurance. Past clients lowered their risk
of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% after completing this one-year
program. For questions and to sign up, contact Lifestyle Coaches Lynn Heitz
at 215-208-7582 or Mary Ann Grignon at 570-807-1276, or email
info at AccessiblePharmacy.com.

Philadelphia Blind Hockey

Our program is completely free. We are a USA Hockey sanctioned, nationally
recognized program.

Whether you have never ice skated before or you are the next Future NHL
player, we have the opportunity waiting for you!

Philadelphia Blind Hockey works to ensure that every individual who is
blind or partially sighted has the opportunity to participate in the
parasport of Blind Hockey.

For more information, please check out their website:
https://www.philadelphiablindhockey.com/

OVR State Board of Vocational Rehabilitation Quarterly Meeting

Thursday, March 7, 2024

10 AM to 3 PM

Break: noon – 1 p.m.

Location: Online via Zoom or In-Person (Penn Harris Hotel- Camp Hill)

Join Zoom webinar:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87680312598?pwd=NDUyVGx0anBJOHhjcjNKV0lnNEM5QT09#success

Webinar ID: 876 8031 2598

Passcode: 408514

One tap mobile:

+13017158592,,87680312598#,,,,*408514# US (Washington DC)

+13052241968,,87680312598#,,,,*408514# US

CART and sign language interpreters will be available during this meeting.

The agenda for this meeting can be found on the State Board’s webpage:
https://www.dli.pa.gov/Individuals/Disability-Services/Board-and-Committee-Info/Pages/PA-State-Board-of-Vocational-Rehabilitation.aspx

Anyone who would like to make public comment prior to the meeting may
submit their comments via email at RA-LIOVR-STBOARD-CMT at pa.gov.

Additional auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to
individuals with disabilities. Please send your request to
RA-LIOVR-STBOARD-CMT at pa.gov.
NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB Message

between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!

the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

www.nfbofpa.org