[Nfbsatx] One Hell of a Day!!

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 2 04:43:16 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

    The past two days, today especially, have been quite eventful here.
Early yesterday morning we had a power failure that took out much of our
part
of San Antonio and fried Mary's computer!! Something similar happened to me
in 2005 when an outage took out this PC'S power supply. When the power
supply was replaced this rig came back to life. Mary wouldn't
be so fortunate.

    In an effort  to save her data we attempted to revive her machine by
replacing the power supply, but quickly discovered that the damage was far
greater than anticipated. When the old CPU was opened the smell was awful
and the inside of the rig was covered with dust and debrees. This afternoon
we opened her old surge protector and practically gagged on the stench of
the odor coming from the inside. We were faced with buying her a new
motherboard, or replacing the entire PC. Perhaps I should tell Scotty and
that rap group Snapp, "We got too much power!!" Luckily no one was near the
PC when it fried. Everyone is all right and we're all healthy.

    It's amazing how events come together at the right time; especially in a
situation like this. Today we received our tax refund and put it to good
use. We opted to replace her PC and found her a Dell Desktop. And yes we
bought her a new surge protector. I'll be busy during the next week or two
reinstalling her software and restoring the new machine to what was on the
old one. She got a 500 GB hard drive and will have a 250 GB external drive
after I copy material to my brand new 1 Terabyte external drive. We came
across a 2 Terabyte external Drive but the budget had other ideas.

    All of this is to say that it will slow me down where work on Web site
goes, but I should be able to complete most site projects by the national
convention.

    Today would take yet another twist of fait before it was over. I'm
pleased to let everyone know that today I achieved one of my goals I've had
for several years. In addition to Mary's new desktop I purchased a Del
Laptop. Besides being able to do work on-the-go, in the near future I'll
finally be able to offer affiliate event streaming and recording. It's going
to take the month to get both machines set up and configured, but we're
looking forward to being able to offer new services to affiliates in the
coming months.  This is yet another life situation where I turned defeat in
to victory. Now to round up a mixer and other equipment in order to offer
this service to our affiliates.

    Again everyone is all right. No one was injured when Mary's rig blew.
Thanks for keeping us in your prayers and thoughts. My only other comment is
that it's been one hell of a day!! All the best for a great week ahead.

Peter Donahue

"Given a chance to dream it can be done.
The promise of tomorrow is real.
Children of Spaceship Earth the future belongs to us all."
Flying for Me,
John Denver