[Nfbsatx] Wood Someone Tell Larry To Be quiet.

James Sofka jamessofka at att.net
Sun Aug 15 13:25:06 UTC 2010

Hi, all.
For your information.
Jim Sofka.

            SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

      Guest Voice: Who are the disabled? All of us

      By Larry P. Johnson - Special to the Express-News

      Web Posted: 08/14/2010 12:00 CDT

      Twenty summers ago, President George H.W. Bush signed into law the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA. But who are they, these Americans with disabilities? Are they the people who work at Goodwill? The people who work at the Lighthouse for the Blind? Those who live in group homes? Those who ride ViaTrans?

      Well yes, all of these and, perhaps, someone in your family, a friend, a neighbor, a co-worker.

      Some disabilities are visible, like mine. Some are not so obvious, like high blood pressure, diabetes, a thyroid condition, hepatitis, cancer or a history of depression, anxiety attacks or other mental illness.

      Twenty percent of Americans have some type of disability. That's one in five. So clearly that means a lot of you who are reading this have some type of disability. And even if you are temporarily nondisabled, what about your parents or grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, children?

      Why do I ask? Because I want you to understand and accept the idea that when we talk about Americans with disabilities, we're not talking about some special group out there. We're talking about us - all of us, everyone. Because, like it or not, one day you are going to have a disability.

      It's inevitable. As you grow older, your physical body begins to deteriorate - your hearing, your vision, your mobility, your mind.

      So, since you know it is inevitable for you and your loved ones, what should you be doing? Think about what you might need if suddenly you can't see so well, hear so well, walk so well - in your home, your neighborhood, downtown, in a store or restaurant.

      What might be done that would make it easier for you or for your grandpa?

      That's what ADA is about. It's about creating a gentler, friendlier environment for all of us. It's about including everyone in our community. It's about valuing the unique talents and accomplishments of every individual, and blending them together in a rich mosaic of limitless possibilities.

      ADA is a dream yet to be achieved, a daring adventure, a marvelous opportunity to care for and care about one another.

      And so, in celebration of this 20th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, let me ask you to plan for your future by proactively changing the present environment to make it easier, friendlier and safer for me and for the 54 million other persons with disabilities who are part of this human family we call America.

      Larry P. Johnson, blind since he was 6 months old, is an author, motivational speaker and immediate past president of the Alamo Council of the Blind.