[Nfbsatx] Fwd: [TABS] Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of Focus 40 Blue Braille Display by 38%

Jose Martinez jose.martinez07 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 04:24:33 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Juan Del Rosario <blindrocker87 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:08:13 -0600
Subject: [TABS] Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of Focus 40 Blue
Braille Display by 38%
To: tabs_students at googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bobby Lakey <Blakey at freedomscientific.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Subject: FW: Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of Focus 40 Blue Braille
Display by 38%
To: Jack Hickman <jehickman1958 at gmail.com>,
mark.marvel at blindambitionsgroups.org, debbie.louder at netxv.net,
vince at nanopac.com

 Dear Friends and Customers:

It is with extreme pleasure that I pass this e-mail along to you.  For those
of us that read Braille or want to do so can now read it at a lower cost
than ever before.

Four years ago, we came out with a new type of Braille that had lower
production costs than other displays.  In that, we were able to provide our
customers with an USB 40 cell Braille display for $3500.  At that time, 40
cell USB displays were still in the $6000 range.  After our announcement,
many display makers lower their price, however not to the level that FS was
making Braille available.

In the past few months, we introduced our Focus 40 Blue.  It is a 2 pound 40
cell display that functions from its USB or wireless capability.  We
introduced the Blue at $4495.  It entered the market as the lowest cost
wireless display on the market, if I am not mistaken.

Now that we have recouped some of our R&D cash outlay on that product, we
are very excited to be able to lower that price to the phenomenal $2795 that
you will see in this announcement.

FS and I care about people having access to Braille.  For the first time
ever, a wireless/USB Braille display has a price point of about what a video
magnifier does.  This means that while people with low vision are able to
read for under 3K, so now can people that read Braille or need/want to read
Braille.

Here is a question for all of you.  Are you aware that with this price
reduction, you can buy a net book or laptop computer, make it talk with
JAWS, have it scan with Open Book, purchase a scanner and finally a Braille
display for a total package price of under 6K.  Unless a notetaker is
essential, this bundle of products give someone a computer, speech, OCR and
Braille for less than a notetaker with far more power, flexibility, and
potential.

If any of you would like to have a demo of the Blue display, or see this
bundle of products demonstrated, please let me know, and I will make sure
that happens for you.

I hope you all join me in the excitement of this announcement.  As a person
that has been blind for almost 32 years, I believe this to be one of the
most awesome things that I have seen in a while!

As a person who has spent 11 years as an employee of the Division of Blind
Services of Texas I had the opportunity to see what Braille does for people
in an academic or employment situations!  I think this is awesome!

The Blue ,when used with JAWS, will essentially teach a person Braille,
through a featured called Braille Study Mode.  We would like to show you
this.  The Focus 40 Blue has the ability to enter data into the PC via its
Perkins style Braille keyboard.  It has several different ways of navigating
through text, including our very own Wiz Wheels.  When used wirelessly, it
will work for about 20 hours on the internal battery.  When you are running
it through the USB port on your PC, the battery will charge from that
connection.

Please, share with me your excitement over this announcement, and I look
forward to doing demonstrations for you guys in the future.  Have a blessed
day, and let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

All the Best,

Bobby Lakey

Director of Central US Sales

Freedom Scientific Inc.