[Nfbsatx] HB3629 information:

Jose Martinez jose.martinez07 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 02:51:03 UTC 2011

Instructions:

HB 3629

Regarding the merger of DARS and the Division of Blind Services into
other large agencies such as DADS and DSHS. We opposed this bill on
grounds that staff that deal with the blind are specially trained to
work with the blind. Someone who has not received proper training may
not be able to give the same quality service, therefore not being able
to help the blind individual to reach employment status and be off of
government help. This merger has been implemented in other states and
evidence shows that the merger does not save money in the long run.
For more information refer to the Bill itself or the talking points
sheet provided.

Chapter members should write the office of Representative Mark Shelton
from Houston, and focus on these points.

*Personal success stories and experiences from those who’ve received
DARS services,

*An explanation of why DARS must remain a separate and independent agency,

*An explanation of why it would be detrimental for DARS to be placed under DADS.

It will be difficult to cover all three points, but cover as many as
you can. Our contact for this is going to be Clayton Stewart, Staff
member, who is in charge of HB3629.

Please send your E-mails to:

clayton.stewart at house.state.tx.us

Please remember to be courteous and to the point.