[Nfbsatx] September Presidential Release

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon Sep 12 19:35:56 UTC 2011

Good afternoon everyone,

    To insure you hear the September 2011 Presidential Release in its
entirety you will find the link below:

http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Audio/pr/PR398.mp3

    Our national office works very hard to produce these every month. It's
our responsibility to be sure they're played in their entirety during local
chapter and division meetings. There was content on last month's
presidential release that would have been of benefit to the new people who
attended their first chapter meeting. We have no right to prevent them from
learning about services like the Blio E-book reader. Jim Gashel demonstrated
it on the last presidential release. He also does a demonstration on this
month's release in connection with the announcement about the availability
of Mike Hingson's book "Thunder Dog" now available in the Blio Bookstore.
I've known Mike Hingson for many years and want people to be aware of the
availability of Thunder Dog from all sources including Blio. Our
presidential releases are a great way for spreading the word.

    Our literature including our presidential releases are intellectual
property of the National Federation of the Blind. Altering its content in
any way opens us up to the possibility of legal action something I and
others don't want to see happen to our chapter. Dr. Maurer and I have
discussed this matter in the past. He has discussed it with me personally
and during a seminar I attended at our national center in 2008 that was held
for our Webmasters.

    Having presidential releases played at local chapter meetings is a
long-standing tradition in this movement. When I joined the organization in
1976 presidential releases were always played during chapter meetings. Like
Dr. Maurer Dr. Jernigan kept us informed about what the organization was
doing around the country and what we could do in our community to further
the work of the federation. At no time were these releases ever altered just
because of time constraints. If we need more time for the meeting to be able
to play the presidential releases please arrange for it Mr. President. I
recall that we had 30 minutes after the last meeting took place time that
could have been used to play the last presidential release in its entirety.

    Anyway enjoy the unadulterated version of this month's Presidential
Release. Let's hope that what you hear by following the link above is what's
played at Saturday's meeting. This kind of thing must stop! All the best.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song