[Nfbsatx] Presidential Releases

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Sep 15 15:17:25 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone,

    I've been a member for 35 years first in Massachusetts and in Texas. I'm
a charter member of the Massachusetts Association of Blind Students
(MASS-ABS.) I was a member of three chapters Brockton where I lived,
Cambridge, and the Neshoba Valley Chapter which served the
Leomonster-Fitchburgh Area. At every chapter meeting and during the MASS-ABS
Meetings the presidential releases were always played and played in their
entirety. When I moved to Texas in 1981 I became a member of the Austin
Chapter and later the San Antonio Chapter when we moved here in 1981. Just
as was true in Massachusetts the presidential release was played at all
chapter meetings in its entirety.

    If Dr. Jernigan learned that chapters weren't playing presidential
releases or their content was being altered the chapter/division in question
could count on hearing from him. The conversation wouldn't be pleasant!
Likewise Dr. Maurer has continued to urge all NFB chapters to play the
complete presidential release during their meetings. He has made his
disatisfaction with chapters who don't play them known on several past
presidential releases and has worked to make them more appealing and
informative for members old and new. Check out the archive of presidential
releases at:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Presidential_Releases.asp?SnID=1645679548

    If organizations like the NAACP, the UIL, and others learned that
presentations from their national leadership weren't shared at local group
meetings or their content was altered to satisfy someone's hidden agenda
their members would be just at outraged! Would they be considered being
childish? If Dr. King prepared written or recorded messages for members of
the civil rights movement to be shared among members and supporters and the
contents of  his presentations were altered or not shared with others he too
would be just as angry. The groups in question would most likely consider
taking legal action against those who withheld or abused such presentations.
Would they consider him being childish.

    So it is with the NFB. Our national office works hard to produce these
presidential releases each month to keep members around the country informed
as to the latest NFB news, to inform members of new products and services
they may wish to utilize, announce up-coming events, and of course to give
us a laugh or two when the release concludes. Had this not happened last
month this thread never would have appeared on this list. Just as it is with
material distribuyted by other groups and organizations we need to insure
its proper discemination and to protect our intellectual property from abuse
within and outside of the organization. All the best.

Peter Donahue