[NFBSATX] Tech tip from today's meeting

wendy Walker wenincal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 22:42:41 UTC 2020

Tech tip from today's meeting:

How to read scanned images of your mail after you sign up for Informed
Delivery on the USPS.gov website.

With mail theft, Covid 19, and extreme heat this service is helpful to
know what is supposed to be in your mailbox every day without leaving
your home and knowing when a piece of your mail disappears.

USPS Informed Delivery on  an iPhone:
(Be sure to have the app Seeing AI downloaded before doing this)
1. Open informed delivery daily email
2. Swipe until you hear “scanned image” (be sure to keep track of
which one you are on if there is more than one mail piece for the day)
3. Double tap on the image (and this is important) then double tap on
the image a second time.
4. A screen will then open and double tap on “Share”
5. Another window will open and swipe right all the way down the
screen past “more” and keep swiping right until you are on “Recognize
with Seeing AI” (I’m sure other apps could read the image but Seeing
AI does it in one step while others require additional steps)
6. It will take only about 5 seconds to process and will read your
scanned image of your mail.
7. Click “close” on this window then click “Done” on the remaining
window which will put you back in your original email.
8 Repeat steps 3 through 7 for as many scanned images as you have in
your daily email.
(You will not get a daily email if no mail is being delivered to you
on that day.

It is also possible to read your scanned images on your computer
(I’m using Windows 10 build 2004, JAWS 2020 and Google Chrome

1.	Open USPS Informed Delivery daily email
2. While in the email, press the letter G until it is on the first
scanned image of a mail piece.
3. Press “Shift” + “F10” to open the context menu and select “”Save
Image As” and press enter
4. Go into the folder in which the file was saved (it will display the
file name before you save it and it is usually a bunch of numbers)
5. Arrow down to the file name but do not press enter!
6. Again press “Shift” + “F10” and select “Convenient OCR” and press enter
7. It will take a few moments but JAWS will then read the scanned image.
8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each scanned mail piece.
(It has been my experience that the iPhone recognition of the scanned
image is much more accurate than the computer and it is much quicker.

For some reason, it has been my experience, when you are signed up for
this service, USPS originated packages are not listed in the packages
section of the Informed Delivery email and will usually be in a
separate email by itself. Other small packages that originate from
other delivery services like UPS and DHL that are handed off to the
Post Office for final delivery are usually in the Informed Delivery
"packages" section however.

It's a useful tool to have and even if you don't go through the steps
to read the scanned images, if you get an email that contains scanned
images you know there is mail in your box that day.

If you want me to cover a particular tech tip, please let me know and
I will do my best to include it in one of our meetings. Stay safe
everybody.

Wendy Walker
Vice-President
San Antonio Chapter