[NFBSATX] White Cane Awareness Day

wendy Walker wenincal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:40:41 UTC 2020

For those of you who might of missed it, White Cane Awareness Day is
today. It kind of snuck up on us but there were a number of virtual
events held around Texas and around the country to celebrate it.

As a side note, one of my instructors in training called her cane her
car and when she put her cane aside to teach us she always said "Just
a minute, I have to park my car". Like a car, a white cane helps us
get to where we're going. For that reason and many others, White Cane
Awareness Day serves a very important purpose in teaching sighted
individuals about it's function.

Have a good rest of your day. Take care and stay safe.

Wendy Walker
Vice-President
San Antonio Chapter