[NFBSATX] August 20, 2022 San Antonio Chapter Meeting Minutes

Amelia Pellicciotti ameliapelli95 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:22:06 UTC 2022

Hello folks, here is a recap of everything we discussed at our August
20 chapter meeting. I have pasted the meeting minutes in the body of
this message.

National Federation of the Blind, San Antonio Chapter
August 20, 2022
Amelia Pellicciotti, secretary

The meeting comes to order at 11:30 a.m.
We will begin by introducing the board, and by playing the
presidential release.
There is Wendy Walker, president, and Frank Carrillo, vice president.
We also have Mike Carrillo with us, he is a new member with the
Chapter. Mike had the opportunity to meet Frank at a blind Veterans
barbecue fundraiser event.
We have Damian Brown with us, he was a member of the NFB in his home
state of Mississippi and has since resided in Tyler Texas for two
years.
Miyl Gills has also joined us, she is Atreyu's partner. Atreyu Dunson
has joined us for the Chapter meeting as well. Finally, Bryan Baldwin,
treasurer, and Amelia Pellicciotti, secretary are also present.
The previous month's Chapter meeting minutes were posted on the
GroupMe. Wendy Walker asked if there were any points of inquiry
regarding the secretary's minutes. Seeing none, Frank Carrillo
proposed a motion to except the secretary's report as read. Bryan
Baldwin seconded.
Bryan Baldwin gave the treasurer's report. Amelia Pellicciotti
proposed a motion to accept the treasurer's report as read. It was
seconded.
Next for announcements, Wendy Walker and Bryan Baldwin both attended a
state affiliate chapter president's call. It was revealed that because
we are under the umbrella of the state affiliate for the NFB, we have
to bring our finances in alignment with new IRS guidelines. As a
result, we must limit Chapter funds in our accounts to $1500, however
we must also spend that money wisely. In addition to the new
guidelines, it is highly recommended that we no longer use the Venmo
App. The national office of the NFB would also prefer that chapters
not use the cash app most of all, because it is highly insecure.
Eventually, the state affiliate of the NFB has long-term plans to
establish something similar to a joint checking account with the
Chapter affiliates, in order to bring us into compliance as well as
make transactions with the state affiliate easier. The NFB of Texas
uses Frost bank, which does use zel for business transactions as well.
The San Antonio Chapter of the NFB currently does not have zel. Wendy
Walker and Bryan indicated that zel and pay pal provide more secure
payments, and that most likely this would be the best path going
forward.
For a tech Tip, Wendy recently discovered while traveling that the
Medify app which we had discussed for prescriptions adjusted the time
to conform with pacific time automatically while we were traveling to
the West Coast of the United States.
Bryan Baldwin also intends to provide a tech tip, from the OCR app
Sullivan +. This is an app which extracts text from images, such as
letters received in the mail. The application even has a light
detection feature, a color identifier, and even facial recognition
software, as well as a magnifier to make items larger and more
visible. Best of all, it is free.
Bryan performed a demonstration using a print hard copy of the minutes
that Amelia posted on the GroupMe platform. Bryan Baldwin next used
the objects and face recognition features to see if the app would
describe people and objects around the table. Sullivan + allows you to
press the volume up button to quickly take a snapshot when you are
ready.
During the ADA celebration, the mayor Ron Nirenberg and Cindy Watson,
the CEO of the lighthouse spoke. The ADA fare contained door prizes
and lots of good resources.
Amelia Pellicciotti informed the group that the San Antonio NFB
chapter is listed as a partner camp with Morgan's Wonderland. This is
a list of non-profit groups that have partnered with Morgan's
Wonderland Camp. Wendy Walker also added that a representative from
the San Antonio Lighthouse also reached out to her as a representative
from the Chapter to inquire about holding a children's program there.
For other announcements, Frank Carrillo wanted to remind the group
about action fund.org. The NFB regularly provides free Slate and
stylus's, and free white canes every six months.
Wendy Walker wanted to remind everyone about the 16th annual access
ability fest, taking place October 1st. An Ability strong parade will
be held concurrently. The Chapter will have a vendor booth, and Amelia
Pellicciotti has volunteered to demonstrate NFB Newsline. The Access
Ability fest will take place at Hemisfair Park.
At the board meeting it was suggested that we offer a door prize
valued at $25. It is also suggested that the Chapter come up with
something to give away at Access ability fest, thus Frank Carrillo
suggested handing out wooden signature guides to the participants. We
will start out by making 50, and a prototype will be brought to our
next Chapter meeting.
Also in October is the city of San Antonio annual White Cane Awareness
Day celebration. Margaret Howell asked the group what the white cane
committee intends to do for t-shirts. Wendy Walker informed the group
that this year the White Cane committee will give away rubber wrist
bands, instead of shirts. However, if members would like T-shirts,
they can go to whitecaneday.org/t-shirts. They cost $15, and the 2022
shirts are depicted with a blind guide-dog and cane user.
For some very exciting news, the NFB state convention is coming up on
November 11-13. It will take place at the double tree by Hilton, at
8181 Airport BLVD, near hobby airport, in Houston Texas.
The convention national representative will be Mark Riccabono, and
this year, the head of the national convention committee, John Bergren
will be present.
The September chapter meeting will take place at the San Antonio fire
academy. This request came from Patricia Jackson. When her home nearly
caught fire a few years ago, she and Greg learned the importance of
learning disaster preparedness techniques and the importance of being
prepared. The fire academy is located at 300 S Callaghan Rd, San
Antonio, TX 78237.
Likewise, the October chapter meeting will be held at the donor
pavilion at First Park Ten and Ih 10 W.,
November's meeting may possibly be at the guide dogs of Texas, with
potential Red Cross training if there is enough interest.
Some other items in the works are as follows:
The Christmas Party in December, a possible ceramics class at the
Carver Cultural Community Center. Potentially a self-defense class.
However, any suggestions from the members are welcome!

Finally, the group would once again like to welcome Mike Carrillo.
Frank spoke about his attendance at Grady's barbecue, for the blind
veterans’ fund raiser. He had an opportunity to meet up with Owl
Radio, and the Guide Dogs of Texas there. Frank says that it was nice
to come out and support blind veteran's conference to Washington D.C.
so that blind veterans could attend their annual workshop. Mike
Carrillo worked with Bryan Baldwin at the Lighthouse for the Blind
several years prior. The chapter meeting adjourns at 1:30 p.m.