[NFBSea] Bike share contract vote Tuesday- City Council Transportation Committee

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 16 03:56:19 UTC 2018

This Tuesday, July 17 at 2 pm, the City Council Sustainability and Transportation committee will have a presentation on the proposal for renewing the bike share program. The meeting will take place in council chambers on the 2nd floor of Seattle City Hall, 600 4th Ave. (between Cherry and James Streets).  Come to the committee meeting, sign up to speak, be there to show support for our concerns or email the Council with your thoughts. Below are some highlights related to the bike parking issue:

* Allow number of bikes to grow from 10,000 (current) to 20,000 bikes

* Construct enough bike parking to hold 1,500-3,000 bikes. These could be on street or in furniture area of sidewalks, Each parking area holds 10-15 bikes and they are proposing to build 150-200 areas.

The number of bike parking spaces is minuscule compared to the number of bike share bikes on the street. The presentation says that on-sidewalk parking is cheaper to build, thus incentivizing the city to build those.

They need to build a lot more bike parking spaces, and they need to put them in the street and not on the sidewalks. We also need a seat at the table when they are planning these bike parking areas. They have apparently constructed or painted a couple of on street bike parking areas somewhere in Ballard as a pilot.

If this committee votes to go with the staff recommendations the contract renewal would then go to the full council for a final vote.on Monday, July 23.

This is agenda item #6 but public comment for all items happens at the beginning of the meeting. They have a sign-up sheet in the front  of the Council chambers. There are sighted staff who will sign you up. Each person usually has 2 minutes rot speak unless dozens of people sign up to speak, in which case each person gets to speak for 1 minute. It’s good to have your thoughts organized

City Council Sustainability and transportation committee members:
Mike O’Brien, Chair
Rob Johnson, Vice Chair
Kshama Sawant, Member
Bruce Harrell, Alternate

You can email the entire City Council; council at seattle.gov

Getting to Council chambers is more straightforward if you enter on the 5th Ave. side of the building. If you enter on 4th you have to take 2 different elevators to get to the 2nd floor.

I will be there. I hope some of you can join me. I know this is short notice.

Here is the link to the agenda with links to each agenda item:
https://seattle.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=614539&GUID=2BA08B8E-0564-4CE8-8993-6A81F570189B <https://seattle.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=614539&GUID=2BA08B8E-0564-4CE8-8993-6A81F570189B>