[NFBSea] FW: WTBBL's "Reading Matters" Newsletter Summer 2019

Jacob Struiksma jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 03:40:33 UTC 2019

Passing on for your information

WTBBL's "Reading Matters" Newsletter Summer 2019

 <https://mailchi.mp/sos.wa.gov/wtbbls-reading-matters-newsletter-summer-1062485?e=8c44f6fb45> View this email in your browser

Reading Matters is provided in text, accessible PDF, electronic braille and audio versions on our  <https://sos.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cc76b29ebd6084a20161a5f6&id=68f659d432&e=8c44f6fb45> website.

READING MATTERS
Summer 2019
Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
2021 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121-2783
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
Phone: 206-615-0400 • Toll Free: 1-800-542-0866
wtbbl at sos.wa.gov • www.wtbbl.org
That All May Read

>From Director Danielle Miller

          Welcome to the summer edition of Reading Matters. Summer is one of my favorite times at the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library, when we celebrate reading, literacy, and lifelong learning with our youth Summer Reading Program. This year’s theme, “A Universe of Stories,” gives a space focus to our by-mail programming and events at WTBBL, throughout Eastern Washington, and at the University of Washington Planetarium. I have such fond memories of fascinatedly watching the original Carl Sagan Cosmos series with my family that I look forward to engaging with the summer reading activities and participants. Read ahead for more about the program and the great things happening in our Youth Services Department.

          Summer is also when we welcome student workers to the library. Students from two programs work at WTBBL over the summer, helping us complete important tasks and projects while gaining valuable work experience and developing skills needed for career or academic readiness. Youth Employment Solutions II, or YES II, is a six-week program for blind and visually-impaired students age 16 through high school graduation, sponsored by the Washington State Department of Services for the Blind and the Washington State School for the Blind, which also includes a residential component building independence and skills in public transportation. The Seattle Youth Employment Program (SYEP), provides internships for young people in Seattle ages 16 to 24 who are from low-income households and communities that experience racial, social, and economic disparities. These programs benefit both the students and WTBBL. The students bring great energy and enthusiasm to work with them, and we love having them spend the summer with us.

          This summer is also a time that WTBBL staff and volunteers can appreciate some peace in their workspace. Over the winter and spring months, WTBBL underwent several facility maintenance or renovation projects and we stayed open and working through all of it. Some of the updates included replacing the carpet, installing more energy-efficient lighting, and upgrading network cabling. We also rearranged and revitalized our public area, bringing out more braille and digital books and created a sitting area with new furniture, called “the Living Room.” I hope you will take the opportunity to come and visit us. Enjoy the rest of your summer and your own universe of stories.

State Librarian Update by Cindy Aden

          Hard to believe it is summertime; the recent Washington Legislative session, which ran from January to May, made the year so far fly by, and the impact of that session is still being absorbed. WTBBL was treated well, as were all divisions within the Secretary of State’s Office. WTBBL got permission to increase expenditures in order to complete needed upgrades to its building, in anticipation of a new upstairs tenant.

          The big news of the session was the approval of funding for a new State Library-Archives building, to be built in Tumwater, a few miles from the Capitol. The current State Library building is located nearby, and many government offices, like Labor & Industry and Dept. of Corrections, are located in the vicinity, too. Tumwater has become a second campus for Washington government, as space has disappeared on the Olympia campus.

          Plans for the new building are being drawn up now. The architecture firm, Miller Hull of Seattle, also designed the Alaska State Library Archives Museum in Juneau. We are confident we have an experienced partner to design a building to include all our divisions, which in addition to the Library and Archives, includes Elections, Corporations & Charities, and Community Programs.

          The State Library was awarded a $1.8M grant from the Legislature for statewide job skills training — particularly technical skills — as part of the Library’s ongoing partnership with the state Workforce Board. The State Library is focused on making libraries a local resource for all job skills training, unemployment support, and career exploration — activities supported by the Workforce Board. WTBBL is the first branch of the State Library to be certified as a Worksource Connection Site, and we are proud to say we started this effort for our blind and low-vision community. We are working with the two job skills learning platforms, LinkedIn Learning and Microsoft Academy, to make sure their products are accessible to the primary community we are serving in Seattle.

          Libraries across the state received $12.8M in support from the Legislature to address capital projects via a new grant program, to be run by the Dept. of Commerce. And finally, the State Library was included in the Governor’s rural broadband bill, so libraries will be at the table when outreach to rural communities is discussed.

          It was a terrific Legislative session for libraries. We are happy to see so much acknowledgement from lawmakers that libraries are making a difference.

Youth Services News by Erin Groth

          The Youth Services Department is “all systems go” with our space-themed Summer Reading Program well under way. It has been a great journey across the Universe of Stories so far, starting with our spectacular Kick-Off Party on June 29, which featured a visit from a NASA Solar System Ambassador; continued weekly by-mail STEAM packets centered on interstellar exploration and inspiration for early learners, children, and teens; and several more special events in the works.

          Youth Librarian Erin recently had the opportunity to connect with Cherry Crest Elementary in Bellevue to work on a community service project based around Summer Reading as well. Over 100 second graders participated in a hands-on presentation about braille, tactile illustrations, and the library. They were excited to learn about our patrons, and especially eager to start their service project: creating tactile coloring pages for WTBBL Summer Readers! Using puffy paint, the students made aliens, planets, and spaceships fitting this year’s theme to be sent out as part of the weekly activity packets. The day was such a success, Cherry Crest Elementary has asked that WTBBL come back and do something similar next year! Special thanks to the school’s staff, Erin Miller and Elma Nahm, for working with Librarian Erin to set this up.

          There’s still a galaxy worth of fun to be had this summer! All are welcome to attend the upcoming events, whether participating in the SRP or not. Join us as we reach new heights of fun at programs in Seattle, Everett, Yakima, and Spokane this summer.

Friday, July 26, 2:30–4:45 p.m. (4 sessions): Teen/Tween-Accessible Escape Room — Alien Abduction! — at the Shadle Branch of the Spokane Public Library. **Registration is required at the Spokane Public library website.

Friday, August 2: Multisensory Nature Walk at the Yakima Arboretum, in conjunction with the Yakima Public Library.

Saturday, August 10: WTBBL Field Trip to the UW Planetarium for a hands-on astronomy lesson.

Saturday, August 17, 11 a.m.–5 p.m.: WTBBL’s Accessible Gaming Lab at the Pacific Science Center’s Curiosity Expo.

Saturday, August 24: Challenge Air Fly Day at Paine Field in Everett. **Registration is required at the Challenge Air website.

New Braille Scanner at WTBBL by Ed Godfrey and Alycia Ensminger

          At the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library, the Braille Department focuses on transcribing print books into braille. Braille transcription is a technical and time-consuming process that requires skill and great attention to detail. In order to expedite this process, WTBBL purchased a new scanner with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software included. The scanning process allows a trained operator to scan an entire 300-page book in less than an hour. The scanned file (a Word document) is then translated by braille software to braille text in less than a minute. This greatly reduces the time required for manual transcription of a similar amount of print text into braille.

          The department’s goal is to produce braille books that are equal in content and quality to the print edition. This means a volunteer transcriber will still be required to check the translated braille file to correct formatting, scanning, and translation errors. Three volunteer braille transcribers are currently testing the new scanner and braille translations — Karen, Randi, and Allyn — all graduates of WTBBL’s braille transcription class. Testing has been very successful as a new workflow has been established for scanning and transcribing books. Not all print books are suitable for scanning, particularly those with extensive photographs or graphics. However, the bulk of the Library’s braille production is literary material, both fiction and nonfiction.

          While it will take some time to fully implement this new technology, the Braille Department staff and volunteers remain optimistic and excited about this new tool!

New Audio Books from WTBBL by John Pai

Books for a summer’s day in Washington.

          Summer has arrived here in the Pacific Northwest and as we all look to enjoy some extra time for relaxation we have a variety of recently-completed titles to add some understanding, joy, and reflection with a range of topics.

For the Northwest Historians we have:

DBC 385 Rogues, Buffoons & Statesmen by Gordon Newell.
          The inside story of Washington's capital city and the hilarious history of 120 years of state politics. Told from a sometimes irreverent but detailed perspective, the book presents a refreshing look at the birth and adolescence of politics in Washington state. 1975. Narrated by Melissa Tyler.

DBC 6975 Selected Writings of Ella Higginson edited by Laura Laffrado.
          Ella Higginson was the first prominent Pacific Northwest literary author in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Long out of print and unavailable this anthology collects some of her poems, short stories, and excerpts from two of her books. Famous in her own time and all but forgotten today, Higginson deserves the favorable recognition granted by her contemporaries. 2015. Narrated by Debra Godfrey.

For the folks looking for a little mirth we have some classic Patrick McManus and life sharing with Phyllis Diller:

DBC 180 How I Got This Way by Patrick F. McManus.
          Patrick McManus got that way by landing on his head as a child. This collection of essays deals primarily with growing up in rural Idaho but offers up humorous insight into the rural life of Tenner shoes, car repairs that didn't quite work, and hunters who couldn't keep their stories straight. 1994. Narrated by Michael Memmo.

DBC 6939 Like a Lampshade in a Whorehouse: My Life in Comedy by Phyllis Diller with Richard Buskin.
          Phyllis Diller was a pioneering female stand-up comic. Her personal life had more than its share of turmoil, but she persevered despite it — and she cracked jokes the whole time. 2005. Narrated by Courtney Maheras.

For the introspective and stories that reflect the diversity of our worlds we have:

DBC 6745 Bright Moments: The Life and Legacy of Rahsaan Roland Kirk by John Kruth.
          Rahsaan Roland Kirk (1936-1977) lost his vision at age two and then went on to become one of the most innovative jazz musicians of his time. His mastery of breathing allowed him to play two or three saxophones at once; other musicians made their careers based on his techniques. Compiled from in-depth interviews, historical documentation, and articles. 2000. Narrated by Michael Memmo.

DBC 15856 The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui.
          Thi Bui was just 3 months old when her family fled Vietnam. The Best We Could Do tells the story of her family's history in Vietnam and the painful adjustments of being refugees adjusting to life in the United States. 2017. Narrated by Angela Nguyen.

Finally, for the young readers we have some beautifully crafted biographies in:

DBC 06763 The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes: The Story of Dr. Patricia Bath by Julia Finley Mosca and Daniel Rieley.
          As a girl coming of age during the Civil Rights Movement, Patricia Bath made it her mission to become a doctor. When obstacles like racism, poverty, and sexism threatened this goal, she persevered — brightening the world with a game-changing treatment for blindness! 2017. Narrated by Joanna Whitney.

DBC 15727 My Journey to the Stars by Scott Kelly with Emily Easton.
          NASA astronaut Scott Kelly was the first to spend an entire year in space! Discover his awe-inspiring journey in this fascinating picture book memoir (the perfect companion to his adult book Endurance) that takes readers from Scott's childhood as an average student to his record-breaking year among the stars. 2019. Narrated by Rachel Glass. Also BRW 8684 or BRJ 1519 (print/braille).

          And this is just the tip of the iceberg for the titles we have available. Please check out the most recent update to the catalogue and happy reading!

New Braille Books from WTBBL by Ed Godfrey

        WTBBL’s Braille Production Department and its volunteers have been working hard to make more locally-produced books available to our patrons. Here are some of the latest titles for summer reading:

BRW 8695 Outside the Lines by Amy Hatvany.
          A gripping novel about a woman who sets out to find the father who left her years ago, and ends up discovering herself. 2012. Transcribed by Gail Viscione.

BRW 1448 Seattle Justice: The Rise and Fall of the Police Payoff System in Seattle by Christopher T. Bayley.
          By the late 1960s Seattle police were willing to tolerate vice for a price. Christopher Bayley describes how he and a band of clean government crusaders took down corrupt police and the entrenched politicians who supported them. 2015. Transcribed by Joan Moritz.

For young adults:

BRW 1444. No Excuses: Growing Up Deaf and Achieving My Super Bowl Dreams, by Derrick Coleman, Jr.
          The author describes his early life as a deaf person, and describes his rookie year, when the Seattle Seahawks went to the Super Bowl in 2014. 2015. Transcribed by Karen Hara.

BRW 8672 Outside In by Jennifer Bradbury.
          After Ram loses his bag of winnings from playing a stick-and-ball game called gilli, he stumbles upon an art garden in the middle of the jungle, created by a mysterious man named Nek. Nek introduces him to stories from the Ramayana, which enthrall, educate, and inspire the young homeless boy. Based on a true story. For grades 4-7. WA State Book Award nominee. 2017. Transcribed by Karen Hara.

And finally, for very young readers:

BRW 8684 My Journey to the Stars by Scott Kelly with Emily Easton.
          NASA astronaut Scott Kelly was the first to spend an entire year in space! Discover his awe-inspiring journey in this fascinating picture book memoir (the perfect companion to his adult book Endurance) that takes readers from Scott’s childhood as an average student to his record-breaking year among the stars. For grades K-3. 2019. Also BRJ 1519 (print/braille) or DBC 15727 (audio). Transcribed by Ed Godfrey.

Volunteer Spotlight: Jessie Gray

          Hi! My name is Jessie, and I use they/them pronouns. I started volunteering with WTBBL in February of this year, and I absolutely love it. Everyone at WTBBL has been kind and welcoming from the first second I walked in. I especially love the camaraderie I have now with Amy Ann and Sally Jo in the Shipping Department; they always make me feel like part of the team. Helping in shipping is an excellent fit for me because I enjoy organizing and straightening shelves; I also experience great satisfaction seeing the post office bins fill with hundreds upon hundreds of books ready to be sent to our patrons. Another of my favorite tasks is helping Shannon by reading patron notes and requests. Shannon is so much fun to work with, and I enjoy seeing the variety of books and topics requested by our patrons.

          Before I started volunteering with WTBBL, I was a nurse for nine years, working mostly with children and teens. I have loved reading for as long as I can remember, so when it came time for a change in lifestyle for me, becoming a librarian was a natural choice. I am most passionate about public libraries, and want to research how libraries impact community health. I don’t know exactly what it will look like yet, but I hope to merge my careers in nursing and librarianship to improve the lives of children and families. I am beyond excited to start my Masters in Library Science degree from the University of Washington this fall and move further towards this goal. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for WTBBL for giving me my first library position and therefore a big first step in my journey. I love being a part of this amazing place, and I plan to continue volunteering here once a week when I start classes. See you around!

Thank You to Our Donors
from March 1 to June 30, 2019!

Allen Aarsund
Rosemary Adamski
James Adamson
Linda Adkins
Lorraine Affek
Randi Aiken
Harmoz Alizalde
Arnold Alto
Anonymous (24)
Deanne Andrews
David Arnold
Terrance Baker
Lynda Baker
Robert Baumann
Claudia Berge
John Bergeman
Pat Berndt
Richard Berndt & Erin Hayes
Stephanie Bibeau
Camille Blanchette
Richard Bouillion
Rosario Branson
Kent Breidenstein
Barbara Breslin
Penelope Bridgeman
Claire Brown
Jean Brown
Dorothy Byrne
Barret Call
Dorothy Carter
Glenda Cassutt
Dorothy Casura
Diane & Robert Cavanaugh
Martha Chambers
Dianne Chaney
Cindy Chapman
Arden Chapple
Carol Colburn
Donald Collier
Mary Cook
Dean Coon
Lawrence Cooper
Joanne Coty
Olivia Coyner
Darlene Crabtree
Leone Craig
Erma Cross
Frank Cuta
Steve Dassel
Lawrence Davis
Krijn de Jonge
Saskia de Jonge
Mary Louise DiJulio
Rebecca Dodson
Leslie Dreis
Sandra Driscoll
Cheryl Dukleth
Margaret Dunbar
Betty Edwards
Sophia Edwards
Stephen Ekstrand
Alycia Ensminger
Janice Esterly
Francis Eugene
Joanne Evans
Ann Fagan
Julia Fairchild
Nancy Fay
Benjamin Fellows
Sean Flynn
Candace Frasher
John Fruin
Edna Fujihara
Cleora Funes
Floyd Funk
Catherine Gaylord
Janet Gibbons
Sharon & Marvin Giese
Beverly Gilbert
Susan Gjolmesli
Patricia Goebel
Jane Goodridge
Carrol Gray
Geneva Greager
Frank Green
Colleen Greene
Michele Greenky
Beatrice Greenwald
Marie Grinstead
Angela Gunn
Nadine Haglin
Harry Haynes
Marion Herth
Ken Hildebrant
Douglas Hildie
Darlene Hillary
Ronald Hoffman
Marian Holmes
Joan Honemann
Rosemary Hunt
Imanta Ikstrums
Dianna Inch
Joyce Irish
Greg Jack
Jeannette Jacobson
Jack Straw Productions
Carl Jarvis
John Jestrab
Barbara Johnson
Helen Johnson
Karen Johnson
Valdean Jones
David Junius
Hannah Karis
Floyd Kerbs
Juana Lee Killion
Helen Klinginsmith
Siobhan Kotal
Wilfried Kressner
Esther Krystal
Marilyn Kulper
Geethapriya Kumaraguru
John Laffaw
June Lane
Kathleen Lannigan
Cynthia Lantry
Elizabeth Lapic
Ethylanne Larrimore
Joel Lathim
Virginia Lee
Chooi Lee
Robert Lehnert
Ashlee Levcun
T.J. Leyden
Sandy Lillengreen
Stephanie Lucash
Alice MacDonald
Estate of Charlotte T. and
    William C. Magelssen
Santina Marco
Dorothy Marks
Dana Marmion
Susan Mason

Harriet Masters
Verna McCoy
Don Mehaffey
Microsoft Corporation
Louise Middleton
Neal Milburn
Danielle Miller
Lupine Miller
Maxine Miller
Melanie Money
Clinton Moore
Joan Moritz
Naydene Morrow
Gilbert Moss
Florence Munat
Angelica Murillo
Cheryl Murphy
Christine Murphy
Margaret Myers
Elinor Nelson
Nordstrom
James Nyborg
Irving Nysether
Sean O'Keefe
John Ogliore
Krestin Oman
Rebecca Oosting
Orrico Foundation
John Pai
Ruth Paige
Ina Palmer
Stanley Pederson
Betty Peine
Ann Petersen
Joyce Peterson
Robert Peterson
Richard Pettit
Shirley Phillips Horne
Tracy Piercey
Dustin Piercey
Esther Pierson
Florence Pimentel
Mae Piskur
Gerry Pond
Shirley Pountain
Sheldon Pravda
Joan Rabinowitz
Joseph Raineri
Charity Ranger
Jack Redmon
Robert Reese
Ann Reiter
Sharon Reynolds
Mona Reynolds
Janet Richard
Kathleen Ridderbusch
Marilyn Ring-Nelson
Amy Roberson
Ruthjean Rose
Sandra Sager
Valerie Sanders
Kathy Savory
Mary Schlosser
Birgit Schroeter
Wilma Schunke
Zoe Scott
Lydia Scott
Laverne Shemet
Charles & Isaac Sickels
Worthington Smith
Della St. Pierre
Mary Standerfer
Paul Stariha
Constance Steffen
Reba Stevenson
Bernadine Stillwell
Trudy Stotz
Walter Straight
Norman Streutker
John & Laura Stuart
Diane Stuart
Kathleen Sullivan
Nancy Suter
Paula Swann
Bronson Swanson
Tom Taggart
Frank Tarver
Magdalena & Fred Tawatao
Jacqueline Taubel
Vada & John Thomsen
William Tobey
Nancy Totten
T. Tien Triggs
Marcellus Turner
United Way of King County
Maryalys Urey
Nancy Vanlydegraf
Susan Vetto
Sally Waddell
Karen Wallin
R. Weatherley & P. Erera
Claudine Weiss
Dennis Whelan
Ann White
Barbara Wiemann
David Wilder
Pamela Wilson
Cathy Wilson
Carole Wilson
Beverly Witte
Patricia & Robert Wojcik
Donna Wolden
Myrtle Wood
Phyllis Woodman
Karen & Alvina Woodworth
Wylde Family Foundation
Kim Wyman
Agnes & Robert Zimmerman
Stephen Zon
Norma Zylstra

In honor of:
Danielle Miller
Magdalena & Fred Tawatao
Skip Whelan &
    Kathy Skipper Whelan

In memory of:
Great-Aunt Mildred & PaPa  Allen
Jan Ames
Sue Ammeter
Louise Blanchette
Pat Crabtree
Florence Ekstrand
Lorraine Pai
Robert O. Peterson
Lynn Piercey
Deborah Piercey
Leonard Rachmiel
Don & June Swanson
LoRee Taggart
Agnes Zimmerman

 <https://sos.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cc76b29ebd6084a20161a5f6&id=7dabebe570&e=8c44f6fb45>

 <https://sos.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cc76b29ebd6084a20161a5f6&id=ceddc96210&e=8c44f6fb45>

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
Washington State Library | Office of the Secretary of State
2021 9th Avenue, Seattle WA 98121
206-615-0400 | 800-542-0866
 <https://sos.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cc76b29ebd6084a20161a5f6&id=7a11b11a15&e=8c44f6fb45> wtbbl.org |  <mailto:wtbbl at sos.wa.gov> wtbbl at sos.wa.gov